Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Aldena

I'm considering getting a couple new cabs that I can either stack, or place stage left and right. A lot of the recommendations here is usually boutique stuff, and I'm sure they sound great, but being on a budget, I must look elsewhere. I have not heard anyone mention Avatar lately. Have they fallen out of favor around here?

I'm looking at the B212 neo, 8 ohms. Any opinions on these? I can get 2 of these for $682 delivered to my front door. At 56 lbs each, that's not too heavy either, but since I can't try them first, I'm a little hesitant.

What do think about placing cabs on both sides of the stage, as opposed to traditionally stacking them?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Aldena:

What do think about placing cabs on both sides of the stage, as opposed to traditionally stacking them?

Really bad idea for bass. Will cause all sorts of phase cancellations and reinforcements around the room, as the signal from the two cabs collides and adds or subtracts depending on the phase.

This holds true for all bass cabs including PA subwoofers which should always be grouped together or separated by a huge distance (like either side of a stadium size stage).

Alex

Alex is right as rain, and my experiences concur.

Jeff Berlin uses two 15" combos on tour but they're not more than a foot apart from each other, and he uses it primarily for his discrete stereo chorus.

:wave:

That's interesting about the phase problems. I did not know that. So if I'm not going to separate them, 4 12's is probably too much.

That leaves me with the same question. 4 or 8 ohms? If I get a 4 ohm, I can't use it with any other cabs. If I get a 8 ohm, I'll have to use it with another cab, or my amp's only putting out 175 watts. Will that be enough? I don't have an 8 ohm cab to test it, so 175 watts might be ok.

It looks like they are the Deltalite, so I just may be waiting a little longer.

How loud is your band? Are you realistically likely to need more than one 2x12" cab? If not, then get the 4 ohm cab. If you upgrade your amp in the future (which is fairly likely if you're in loud situations as good powerful amps are getting a lot cheaper) then again you'll get more power into 4 ohms and many newer amps will run down to 2 ohms so you can still add extra cabs.

Alex

I don't think we're a loud band, as I use the 1x12 (4 ohm) combo at all rehersals, and it's plenty. A 2x12 cab could easily handle stand alone duty, just as a 4x10 would, no?

Back to that phase cancellation issue... good idea or not: Stick with the 1x12 and DI into the PA for extra support? Or will the same potential for problems exist? The PA is a Yamaha emx5000 with Yamaha speakers(15's + tweeter).

I have a b2x12, non-neo and it's plenty loud for 2 guitarists and a loud drummer. In fact, they keep telling me to turn down. They tend to be power hungry, but I run mine at 450 watts with the power amp output about 2:00, 2:30. They will handle a lot of juice, though. Get one of them and don't look back. I got the 4 ohm. If I ever need to add another cab, I have the other side of my power amp to run it.

• 4 months later...

Ok I have some questions about these 2x12 NEO cabs.

I have only used a 2x12 guitar cab as the 'treble' cab in a bi-amped bass rig once in my entire career. Therefore I have no real experience with using 12" for bass.

I have been playing through my Peavey 4x10TX for a while now and really like the sound. But there have been times that I feel that it is missing a bit of the lowend fullness that I have been used to hearing from 15" and 18" speakers.

I have been toying with the idea of replacing the 18" in my Peavey cab and adding that. However, that cab wieghs a damn ton!

What I am trying to achieve is a cab that will bolster the lowend with sonic characteristics of a 15" and yet be able to handle the job adequately as a stand alone cab.

I have also been getting rather whiney about the weight of the 4x10. I have to do a kinda gymnast thing to get it into the backseat of my VW and, at 85lbs, that is not much fun at 2:00am. The 2x12 NEO is 55lbs that sounds pretty good.

So here is my IDEA :rolleyes: My 4x10 is 8ohms. Get the 2x12 NEO at 8ohms. Use the 2x12 for my regular gigs as it is more back friendly. I can also use it in conjunction with the 4x10 for larger and outdoor gigs. They are 'on sale' right now for $299. and I can't even find a used 15" for that.

Comments, suggestions?

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

The best 4X10 neo I ever tried was an EBS, I got to use at a rehearsal with 2 guitars using Mesa Rectifiers. It was slammin'. I do still think about getting an Avatar 2X12 myself. I got to try a 2X10 where I was sharing a rig with someone and was really pleased. Avatar is 1/3 the price of the EBS not to mention.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

I had an old B212 (non-neo, non-upgraded crossover).

You do get what you pay for to a certain degree. Do not expect the Avatar to be equivalent to a cabinet that cost four-times as much, but it held its own.

It was plenty loud and servicable. I sold it because I did not love it and did not need it.

I do not know how helpful this information is regarding the newer cabinets.

Originally posted by Basshappi:

They are 'on sale' right now for $299. and I can't even find a used 15" for that.

Basshappi,

Don't know if this would interest you but you can check it out. From the clearance page at zzounds music. One is $300, one is $210. Bigger one says 44Lbs, couldn't find weight on the compact one, but it must be less.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ASDMAG115T

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ASDABMMINI15

As a long time Avatar owner, I'd say they are definitely worth checking out. Dave is a really nice guy and the service from them has been great.

Plus, the cab sounds really good.

I have the SB112 with the upgraded crossover.

Lovin' it.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Wow I swear I answered this post yesterday.

I've been using the Avatar neo410 for the last year with great results. No problems at all, it's low and loud. I've played half a dozen outdoor jobs where I really cranked the cab with nothing but good results. I actually carried it up on a stage where there was already an SWR Goliath, cause I perferred the Avatar's tone.

Archived