Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm lovin' Chicago!

jmrunning3

I went downtown last night and just drove around. Tonight, I'm going back, but I'm going to park the car and walk around to see some of the sights. I am seriously in love with this city. I've been to many cities across the world, but this one has really captured my imagination.

Can anyone tell me if there are any bass-centric stores near here? I saw a GC from the highway.

09: Schaumburg is beautiful!

-- Joe --

"If you think you're too old, then you are." --Lemmy Kilmister

"I have not seen a man who is not god already." --Austin Osman Spare

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a Guitar Center and Sam Ash close to your hotel. (Sorry I couldn't make it this week). Avoid the Sam Ash.

If you're headed downtown, you may want to get off on Ogden Avenue to Hubbard and stop at Make N Music

LINK WITH DIRECTIONS & HOURS

They carry Fender Custom, Hofner, MTD, Modulus, Rob Allen, Musicman, etc. I think they only have 22 basses in stock at the moment. Check their site.

Also on the North Side is CHICAGO MUSIC EXCHANGE . It's one of those places with jaw-droppingly expensive vinrage Ps and Js. They have a '58 and two '59 P Basses :eek: . I'd like to buy one so I could put a sticker on it and then send it to Thanny.

I'd like to personally apologize for the traffic. Summer's actually EASIER than winter for traffic in Chicago.

"For instance" is not proof.

Ross, is Legends downtown? I'm heading back there this evening.

09, I'll see about heading to that store this evening. I'll be taking 290 since there's so much construction on 90. The traffic doesn't really bother me. After all, I've been to Dallas!

-- Joe --

While you are there, go to Giordano's and get some original stuffed pizza.

Then go to a real hot dog place and get an Italian Beef and a Chicago style original.

The only hot dog place I know is Portillo's, but there are many better, they say.

Remember...that food is uniquely Chigaco, and not subject to comparison with New York food.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Originally posted by zeronyne:

Legends is immediately south of the Loop. Easy to get to. You could park and then take a cab if need be.

290 gets pretty bad at rush hour, too, but it's better than 90!

http://www.buddyguys.com/

I haven't been there, but plan to soon. Don't know if it is a good expereince or not. I bet it is...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Judging from the map, it's only a couple of blocks from where I am planning on parking tonight. If I can get in, I'll have dinner there!

-- Joe --

If you do, give a review. I am going either way. Sometime this Fall. Hope to see a show/band.

Maybe someone from Chicago can chime in here.... Zeronyne..?? you been there??

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Also on the North Side is CHICAGO MUSIC EXCHANGE . It's one of those places with jaw-droppingly expensive vinrage Ps and Js. They have a '58 and two '59 P Basses :eek: . I'd like to buy one so I could put a sticker on it and then send it to Thanny.

Zeronyne, your a good man. :D:D

I knew a girl that was into biamping,I sure do miss

her.-ButcherNburn

Matt, I heard about the storms. I hope some of htat went into the lakes...they were low! You took no damage I hope?

JPJ, nothing in particular. I just though that while I was here, I would take a look at some local music stores. I'm heading downtown after I finish this post...

-- Joe --

Originally posted by 57pbass:

Lakland is in Chicago.... they welcome guests to the shop..

Bag End is in the State..not sure how close to metro Chicago..

You have to Lakland in advance.

And Bag End is in Barrington. Closer to JM's hotel than the city. :)

"For instance" is not proof.

Thanny's pushin' a thousand posts and I've been here longer? Sheesh! :)

Ross - I went to Legends last night for some dinner. I'm not much for Cajun food, but the BBQ sammich I had was incredible. The BBQ sauce was perfect, as in not too sweet. They were getting ready to start live music when I left. I would have stayed but I had some more I wanted to see.

I don't know if it was the house backline or not, butt the bass rig was all-GK. There was a 1x15, 4x10, and a GK head, although I'm not sure what it was.

09 - I didn't have time to hunt up the two music stores downtown. The drive in was an hour-and-a-half! :eek:

Matt - Glad you didn't suffer any storm problems. I heard OKC had some flooding.

-- Joe --

Originally posted by jmrunning3:

09 - I didn't have time to hunt up the two music stores downtown. The drive in was an hour-and-a-half! :eek:

Ah, so you took the 290 shortcut! :D
Yea. Still, the drivers were much better behaved (for the most part) than back home. I stayed late and drove around after dinner. I went to the Navy Pier, took the subterranean highways and the roads under the train. Downtown is so cool!

-- Joe --

Originally posted by jmrunning3:

Yea. Still, the drivers were much better behaved (for the most part) than back home.

You got something against Tulsa drivers? Don't you like the 5:00 northbound 169 parking - for no apparent reason - lot? Or is it the people merging from entrance ramps at 75mph? Maybe the ones merging at 45mph? Just in case the drivers are sane, there's always the state sponsored insanity like the lane expansion projects that were finished two years ago that still don't have adequate signage, so people are always crossing two lanes to get to the correct side of the highway to exit. What's not to love???
- Matt W.

1. Buddy Guy's Legends is a nice place to go eat and hear music.

2. Blueberry Hill Bass happens to be accessible to you in that neck of the woods.

3. Luthiers Access Group is also in the Chicagoland area, although a bit more of a trek.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived