Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Found a Drummer

Ross Brown

If you remember, or care, I left the band I was in because of bad behavior by the drummer. Then the rest of the band came along with me and we just needed a drummer. We auditioned a drummer on Friday night.

Our lead guitarist played with him about ten years ago and called him to see if he was available. Turns out he is. He makes our previous drummer look silly. He is great. Reminded me of the drummer on the Muppet show, Animal or Monster or whatever his name is. :eek: Full of energy, wild eyed but good. The guitarist kept giving me that ..see, I told you he was good.. look while we were playing. The only issue I see will be maybe having to get him to tone it down a little. May be impossible.

In my real (day) job, I find it is always easier and more fun to try to reign overly enthusiastic people in than it is to push people that have no oomph.

And he kept good time. He also complemented my bass playing, so of course I thought he was good. :D

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like a perfect marriage... :cool::thu:
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Good news!

I play with a loud drummer also. We don't say much because he is very tasteful with accents and such. Maybe your new guy was just excited - give him a chance to get the feel and mellow on his own.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Yes. He was tasteful, etc. I liked everything he played. It was a heck of a "show". Just more than I was used to. I'll get over it. :thu:
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Your band (all bands) should adapt to the strengths of it's players. In your case, your overall show should improve now. For you, your role may change at times.

I played in a jam with an over-the-top drummer who told me my job was to keep time. While I was a bit more expressive than that, it was fine with me - he had the goods!

How does this change the power/decision-making given that your guitar player knew him before?

Best of luck!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

How does this change the power/decision-making given that your guitar player knew him before?

Best of luck!

Tom

Great question. We will see! I think it will be OK. Guitarist and I are on same page (so is the other guitarist). The new drummer is close to our way of thinking. We are all reasonably flexible and re affirmed that it is very important to all of us to have fun.

For the record, the drummer on the Muppet Show was Animal.

Monster? Sheesh...

:rolleyes:;):D

Congrats on the acquisition.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Originally posted by wraub:

For the record, the drummer on the Muppet Show was Animal.

Monster? Sheesh...

:rolleyes:;):D

Congrats on the acquisition.

Peace,

wraub

Yep. Daughter (18years old) gave me hell last night for calling him Monster too. :(

And didn't Animal bear an uncanny resemblance to Mick Fleetwood?

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

Originally posted by thabottomend:

And didn't Animal bear an uncanny resemblance to Mick Fleetwood?

Yes, I thought that too. :thu:

That's great news Ross - I was very conscious that I was one of the people encouraging you to make changes. I suggested pulling the rug from under the other drummer who was trying to sack the guitarist and I'm just glad the rest of the band went with it. I was aware that things could've gone horribly wrong and that the band could have disintegrated or you could've ended up in the cold.

Sounds like things are a lot more positive now, all the best. :)

Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

Originally posted by thanny XIII:

Woot drummers are made of cheese.

Just the fat ones.

Oh, and the Swiss.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Originally posted by Rowbee:

That's great news Ross - I was very conscious that I was one of the people encouraging you to make changes. I suggested pulling the rug from under the other drummer who was trying to sack the guitarist and I'm just glad the rest of the band went with it. I was aware that things could've gone horribly wrong and that the band could have disintegrated or you could've ended up in the cold.

Sounds like things are a lot more positive now, all the best. :)

Thanks. Very positive now. Had another rehersal last night, went great. Everyone is bustin butt to get out giggin'. Added five new songs in less than 3 hours. Practiced a bunch of the old ones. It is nice playing with musicians (and a drummer :D ) that can play!

Not the most difficult song, but last night we played a great (my opinion) version of Cocaine. Previously we had never talked about playing it. During a break between songs the guitarist started the song. We all apparently new it and just jumped in and played it. It would have been quite good enough to play anywhere.

I do appreciate all of the advice that I have received. Playing is fun again!

We also work well together. Singer was messing up Locomotive breath, I didn't know Melissa, we all hacked up Voodoo Chile (but eventually got it). No one gets bent out of shape, we just move on to something that works. Cool. :thu:

On a more serious note, it is good to hear that the new drummer is working out. It's great when it starts to come together. :thu:

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

Would many people know Locomotive Breath? It's a great track but over here covers bands tend to have to play well trodden paths when picking covers - it'd be cool if that was well known enough to play as I love it.
Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

Yes, I think so. I didn't know the name of the song when the band proposed it but when I heard it, I knew it.

I am not all that afraid to play less known songs, if they are good and fit our style in a manner that gives them some life. If people don't dance or they throw bottles and tomatoes at us, we won't play them anymore...

With my covers band, we try and choose songs that people know but would never expect to hear covered - Groove Is In The Heart by Deee-Lite being one.

How far are you from gigging now?

Our problem is that our guitarist has to learn a bunch of new songs to sing because when we went with a new drummer, the old drummer took his best friend and our vocalist with him. No great loss of talent, just put us behind and now we have one guy doing all of the vocals.

We have about 2-2.5 hours of solid music ready for gigging. The issue is variety. I am not sure we have enough variety in the mix yet. The rest of the band thinks we need about 3 more full practices to be gig ready. Probably right. These guys are experienced and we pick up songs very fast. The limit will be the singer, hence, I think he is planning to use a music stand to help him remember lyrics. Also, he doesn't trust his memory yet. He took a shot to the head at work a year ago and is still recovering.

We are hoping to get going in September. We could do short gigs now (1 long set, maybe two).

Oh yes, along with a bunch of other songs, we are doing Jonnie B Goode and Wipe Out, just for kicks tonite at practice. We are going to see if we can make them interesting. The rest of our stuff is from the 70s-90s.

Archived