Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jeremy C -

knuckle_head

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A great time was had by both of us.

Some of you might have noticed that I went to Seattle for the weekend to help my son move. Unfortunately I did not make it to shows featuring Bumpcity or LizzyD.

But fortunately I called Skip at Knuckle Guitar Works and asked if I could see his shop. Amazingly enough, it was across the street from the house my son has lived in for the past few years and I've walked by it many times.

We had a great time talking about bass inventions. Skip is one of the great inventors. He is building basses that are an octave lower than standard basses and now is starting to make 5 and 6 string basses that are an octave lower. This pushes not only bass technology but also string and speaker technology to new limits.

Here are a few pictures of me playing his creations and one of Skip holding a future instrument.

I will be back to visit again on a future Seattle trip.

http://members.aol.com/jeremyzone5/knuckle1.jpg

http://members.aol.com/jeremyzone5/knuckle2.jpg

http://members.aol.com/jeremyzone5/knuckle3.jpg

Here's a picture of my son, Miles, and me on the roof of his new place.

http://members.aol.com/jeremyzone5/roof.jpg

I have grandparents that live very near Seattle. They love it there.

Skip, way to go with pushing the envelope of bass technology!

-- Joe --

"If you think you're too old, then you are." --Lemmy Kilmister

"I have not seen a man who is not god already." --Austin Osman Spare

So, how was the Quake 5 with the Q-tuner? And did you get to try one of the basses with a sub low-B tuning (F#BEA, C#F#BE, octave down EADG, octave down BEAD)?

I'm starting to think a BEAD tuned Quake 4 with dual Q-tuners and 29 frets (and fretboard dots in a EADG plus 5 lower frets manner) could be quite fun. What string gauges would you use for that, Skip?

Alex

P.S. Jeremy, have you shrunk since we met? You look somewhat vertically challenged next to your son!

Originally posted by way2fat:

Is someone going to expand on the one-octave-lower basses? The fist thing I thought when I read that was Accugroove Bill Dickens sub woofer. God help me.

Would that Jeremy's experience with it were better - I am still awaiting my octave E and octave B strings from the manufacturer. The E string he played had a .035 core (.180 final gauge) that was uber-rigid and was nearly all fundamental. Fun but not a part of a sonic set as of yet.

Jeremy got the chance to hear two of my basses through a Cafe Walter headphone amp and studio monitor cans which is as much of a rig as I keep in the shop - but you really can't ask for a more critical listening environment.

I will leave it to Jeremy to expound upon the sonic qualities of the basses he played as my opinion is somewhat slanted... ;)

Just as we take advantage of what is, we should recognize the utility of what is not.

- Lao-tzu

It's what I make - it's what I play

Skip, I dig the basses. Definitly doing something no one else is!

How many basses have you made and sold, if you do not mind me asking? Just wondering what the market is like for these.

Jeremy is a great fellow to meet. I had the pleasure of sharing a meal, watching a show, and then seeing him perform all in the same week. Nice guy.

P.S. If you get a chance to see him play, request "Give It To Me Baby" by Rick James. :)

Originally posted by getz76:

Skip, I dig the basses. Definitly doing something no one else is!

How many basses have you made and sold, if you do not mind me asking? Just wondering what the market is like for these.

Jeremy is a great fellow to meet. I had the pleasure of sharing a meal, watching a show, and then seeing him perform all in the same week. Nice guy.

P.S. If you get a chance to see him play, request "Give It To Me Baby" by Rick James. :)

I just delivered #12 - within the week as a matter of fact. It is a black burst fretless 5 with Qtuners and a piezo bridge. My first fretless and very certainly not my last. I have embarked upon Quakes #13 and #14 and am producing 3 other basses at present.

I wish I had known to ask, and that my Cafe Walter supported more than one headset..... next visit, I promise. I am trying to envision Jeremy with beaded braids; its just not coming to me.

;):D

Just as we take advantage of what is, we should recognize the utility of what is not.

- Lao-tzu

It's what I make - it's what I play

Originally posted by knuckle_head:

I am trying to envision Jeremy with beaded braids; its just not coming to me.

;):D [/QB]

He would have to tape the beads to his scalp :D

I'm still 6'1": my son was 6'5" last time I looked.

It is possible to sing a Rick James song without looking like Rick.

I played two basses: one was an octave down E A D G and one was (I think) an octave down A D G C.

There was no amp, I was playing through headphones which you can see in the picture. The notes were crystal clear except that there was a problem with the low E string on the four string...we talked a lot about string construction. Skip is ordering custom strings from LaBella and eventually will get the specs right.

I played a Knuckle bass at NAMM through an amp last year....they make an amazing sound and are easy to play (despite the 36" scale).

I would have been nice to hear the basses fully amplified in the shop, but my AccuGroove cabinets would not fit in the carry-on space on the airplane.

Archived