Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Required" songs/Classic Rock

Ross Brown

The new formulation of our band suggests that we will continue in the Classic Rock and Blues genre. A recent thread started me thinking about songs that we must be able to play, if requested.

What are that absolute requirements. There are many many songs that would be nice to be able to play thats not what I am talking about. I want to know what you think would be inexcusable as a classic rock/blues cover band not to be able to play. Ie Sweet Home Alabama, :mad: if requested.

Thanks

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really depends on where you live and so on ... Most classic rock bands in (my part of) Belgium will play (amongst others):

Golden Earring:

- Radar Love

- When The Lady Smiles

- Twilight Zone

Deep Purple:

- Black Night

- Smoke On The Water

Status Quo:

- Whatever You Want

- Rockin' All Over The World

- Caroline

- Down Down

- Roll Over Lay Down

Whitesnake:

- Here I Go Again

- Fool For Your Lovin

ZZ Top:

- Tush

- Gimme All Your Lovin'

- Sharp Dressed Man

Free: All Right Now

Steppenwolf: Born To Be Wild

Bad Company: Can't Get Enough

Lynyrd Skynyrd: Sweet Home Alabama

And loads and loads more ...

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

FREEBIRD!

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

way2fat, thanks for the tip but I've got every official Free album (including the box set) so yeah I agree with you that they should have been much more popular.

I shudder at the thought that they are mostly only associated with All Right Now, considering their repertoire.

What I'd love to do is put together a classic rock band which takes a popular song (to please the crowd) and one or two obscure songs per band. Whether it'd work remains to be seen, of course, but at least I'd have fun :)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Status Quo! I love those songs you mentioned. Not very many people here in the US know about them, but I really think they should!

-- Joe --

"If you think you're too old, then you are." --Lemmy Kilmister

"I have not seen a man who is not god already." --Austin Osman Spare

My friend Larry's band is mostly classic rock. Here is their advertised list of songs: SONG LIST . They actually do more than what's on that list. They never have a setlist and just kind of call out songs all night and/or take requests.

Originally posted by Ross Brown:

Originally posted by lug:

FREEBIRD!

:mad:
I'm a coming to your next gig and bringing the bic and a can-o-whoopass. I'm using the bic first. If I don't hear me some Freebird, I'm openin' the can! :mad:

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

My friend Larry's band is mostly classic rock. Here is their advertised list of songs: SONG LIST .

Hey Bump? Tell Larry that that domain name expired yesterday.

And here I thought I was going to find the Holy Grail...

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

FREEBIRD!

I'm a coming to your next gig and bringing the bic and a can-o-whoopass. I'm using the bic first. If I don't hear me some Freebird, I'm openin' the can! :mad:
Dang it... all right. :mad:
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Bump that is indeed the consumate list...

How many guys in the band? Who sings, and who can agree to play what? :freak: I used to be in a classic rock cover band, here's some of the tunes we used to play. Here's my fav list of "required" tunes...

Ramble On - Led Zeppelin

Heartbreaker - Led Zeppelin

Highway to Hell - AC/CD

Cinnamon Girl - Neil Young

Rockin in the Free World - Neil Young

Gel - Collective Soul

Shine - Collective Soul

Sour Girl - STP

Trippin on a Hole in a Paper Heart - STP

Interstate Love Song - STP

Spoonman - Soundgarden

Sweet Jane(with intro) - Lou Reed

Money for Nothin - Dire Straits

Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

LED ZEPPELIN

communication breakdown

dazed and confused

the imigrant song

ramble on

black dog

THE WHO

can you see the real me

my generation

teenage wasteland

BOSTON

rock & roll band

hitch a ride

THE DOORS

riders on the storm

l.a. woman

lover her madly

the changeling

JIMI HENDRIX

have you ever been experienced

hey joe

manic depression

THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND

rambiln' man

don't want you no more/not my cross to bare

blue sky

jessica

whipping post

ANY ROLLING STONES, EVERYONE LOVES THE STONES

MORE GOOD BANDS TO COVER:

AEROSMITH

SKYNYRD

TOM PETTY

CLAPTON - you're guaranteed fans in all the girls if you play "wonderful tonight"

I HATE ACDC BUT EVERYONE ELSE LOVES THEM

PINK FLOYD (depends on the audience)

that should do for a pretty good setlist

hmmm...

quote:

FREEBIRD!
I'm a coming to your next gig and bringing the bic and a can-o-whoopass. I'm using the bic first. If I don't hear me some Freebird, I'm openin' the can!
Dang it... all right.

Along the same line. Zappa learned "Whipping Post" because a fan that had followed one leg of his tour and kept yelling out the request. Zappa agreed that is would be a cool tune to do and learned it as well as putting it on his next LP.

Originally posted by ATM:

FREEBIRD!

You gotta hold that in reserve, cause you know Lug's gonna be out there on his 7th Bud Lite.

ATM

Did you just have the unmitagated nerve to call me a Budweiser drinker?

I'm so mad I may sleep with your sister! :mad:

I'm so mad I may sleep with your sister! :mad: [/QB]

Oooo...C'mon everyone! I think they're goin' to the bike-racks! :eek::D

-- Joe --

"If you think you're too old, then you are." --Lemmy Kilmister

"I have not seen a man who is not god already." --Austin Osman Spare

Originally posted by jmrunning3:

I'm so mad I may sleep with your sister! :mad:

Oooo...C'mon everyone! I think they're goin' to the bike-racks! :eek::D [/QB]
You're saying his sister puts out at the bike racks? :confused: Even if it's true, that's pretty callous to spread around, dude. :(

If I had a sister, after she was done with you, you'd be curled up in the corner of a dark room softly crying and rocking back and forth knowing that life as you know it will never be the same.

Now, as I'm not a beer drinker, I'm not certain on the various brands. I would offer you an Icehouse as an apology. And if you don't care for that, we could get my friend Jose.

ATM

So, this guys sister is gonna get me drunk, put out and then whoop my ass at the bikeracks?

I'm in!

BTW - nobody said My Sharona!

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Ok, for all you Freebird/Skynyrd flamers, here's an idea......

Since somebody's gonna shout "Sweet Home" or "Freebird", learn the songs. But learn some other Skynyrd stuff to keep them from shouting at you all the time. Some other Skynyrd songs my old band used to do (that kept people from shouting at us) were Saturday Night Special, Call Me the Breeze, T for Texas, Tuesday's Gone, and Simple Man. Or learn some songs from similar bands (Molly Hatchet, Outlaws, Blackfoot, et al). Gives the Bud drinkers and non-Bud drinkers alike their Skynyrd fix with some fun songs to play, and keeps you calm and focused for your bike-rack appointments.

Plus, we absolutely refused to do Freebird. If anybody asked, we told them that "nobody else could do it like Skynyrd". They usually wiped their bloodshot, misty eyes and agreed. Then they bought us a round. Win/win!

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

Originally posted by ATM:

If I had a sister, after she was done with you, you'd be curled up in the corner of a dark room softly crying and rocking back and forth knowing that life as you know it will never be the same.

Now, as I'm not a beer drinker, I'm not certain on the various brands. I would offer you an Icehouse as an apology. And if you don't care for that, we could get my friend Jose.

ATM

:confused: I always do that after sex, anyway. I'm a Fat Tire man, myself. Jose tried to kill me many years ago so I stay the hell away from him! :D

Permit me to comment that the list for YOUR band can be crafted to best suit your personnel. My classic rock band has taken up some of these and eschewed others for this reason. The age of your crowd may alter the list a bit. While there's lots of common ground among the generations, the 40ish crowd isn't AS into the "psychedelic" stuff as us older folk sometimes are.

I also believe that you can take a couple of "required songs" and avoid them if you have enough solid replacements. And a few of the choices within an artist appear more like personal favorites than audience favorites. For example, most people would enjoy "Are You Experienced" but would "Foxy Lady" or "Purple Haze" or "Watchtower". My $.02.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Great and interesting responses. Turns out that there are more required songs than I have ever heard of and certainly more than I/we know. I/we will be in rehearsal for several years now. :mad:

:idea: Maybe we can just play 1 four hour set that is one long song or medley so no one has a chance to request anything. Or maybe learn to say..."uh .. we don't ...uh know... uh that one..."

Actually, I really appreciate the responses and will use them to help tailor or set lists/catalog. There are definately some gems in the reponses.

Archived