Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tobias

Does anyone have any experience with the NEW GENERATION (2003 and newer) of basses made in Conway, Arkansas? I'm thinking of getting a fretless five Growler but I've heard mixed opinions on the Gibson Tobias basses.

I have an Ibanez GWB1 fretless that I am in love with and the Growler seems very similar in many ways so It seems a logical addition to my meager collection.

Whatcha think??? Don't hold back now.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, that's much less expensive than they were first advertised at. I remember being astounded that Gibson had the gall to buy Tobias, make them in the old facotry for a while, then have some cheap (but excellent value) copies made overseas, and later restart production of the handmade basses and stick price tags from $4000 to $7000 on them!

I've yet to read a review of the new Tobiases but I'd expect them to be decent value. Alternatively, if you like Mike's designs, you might like to look at the non-US MTDs, particularly the new Z4 and Z5.

One key difference that I'd highlight between the GWB and the thru-neck Tobias basses is an almost polar approach to construction. Gary prefers his basses to have bolt-on necks, made of less stiff woods for a lower resonant frequency but high Q which gives a warmer and less even but very dynamic uncompressed tone, whilst Tobias basses use much harder exotic woods and thru-neck construction for a high resonant frequency and low Q, which gives a tighter, quicker and more aggressive compressed tone with a broader and less low-mid oriented tonal balance.

Alex

Originally posted by C. Alexander Claber:

One key difference that I'd highlight between the GWB and the thru-neck Tobias basses is an almost polar approach to construction. Gary prefers his basses to have bolt-on necks, made of less stiff woods for a lower resonant frequency but high Q which gives a warmer and less even but very dynamic uncompressed tone, whilst Tobias basses use much harder exotic woods and thru-neck construction for a high resonant frequency and low Q, which gives a tighter, quicker and more aggressive compressed tone with a broader and less low-mid oriented tonal balance.

Alex

Yeah, that's what attracted me to the Growler. It has a bolt-on neck, swamp ash body and single Bartolini PU and like the Willis bass. Plus the board is Wenge which should stand up to roundwounds pretty well. Not to mention it looks pretty nice too :)

Originally posted by wishicouldplaylikescottambush:

Yeah, that's what attracted me to the Growler. It has a bolt-on neck, swamp ash body and single Bartolini PU and like the Willis bass.

Then again, if it's so like your GWB why do you need one? ;)

Not to mention it looks pretty nice too :)

Ah, that's why!

Alex

Yeah, that's what attracted me to the Growler. It has a bolt-on neck, swamp ash body and single Bartolini PU and like the Willis bass.

Then again, if it's so like your GWB why do you need one? ;)

Not to mention it looks pretty nice too :)

Ah, that's why!

Alex

YOU GOT IT! :D

Actually, the GWB1 is currently my only bass. I gig quite a bit and playing without a backup scares me a little. Plus, I've been wanting a bass with no fret lines.

I'll try to come up with a few more excuses and I'll get back with ya :P

Actually, the GWB1 is currently my only bass. I gig quite a bit and playing without a backup scares me a little.

I don't gig much, though that situation should be changing now that I've finally got an original band up and running (see MySpace link in sig for music!), but I know how you feel. I almost ordered a custom bass earlier this year because I was getting paranoid of being reliant on one instrument!

Alex

I played a Gibson-era Tobias Growler 5 in the mid-1990's at a Sam Ash in Edison, NJ. Nice bass. I considered it. Lacked a bit in the low-end, but I thought it was nice for the price at the time.

If these are the same, I would suspect they stack up well to similarly priced basses.

For that price, you can consider bolt-on Warwicks, Euro Spectors, Ernie Ball MusicMan offerings, American Fenders, and used Roscoes, Modulus, Zon, Dingwall, Mike Lull, etc.

Agreed...I considered a Tobias Growler in 1996 as well. It was definitely a nice bass...IIRC I also found it lacking a bit of lows, but it sure did play nice. I ended up going with the Stingray5 instead.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Alex

Wow, that was so well stated. I've been noticing the impact of construction method so much lately, Thanks alex for that insight

One gripe of mine concerning the newer Tobias basses would be the roughness of the fret edges down the fingerboard. I'm talking "damn near cutting a hand" kind of sharp. And for mucho cash!!

But you are talking fretless, so this isn't a problem. :)

I know I love my Tobias Standard fretless. See my profile for a pic...

Originally posted by getz76:

For that price, you can consider bolt-on Warwicks, Euro Spectors, Ernie Ball MusicMan offerings, American Fenders, and used Roscoes, Modulus, Zon, Dingwall, Mike Lull, etc.

Yeah, I was seriously considering the Warwick Corvette Std. but I'm not sure about the weight and sound of the Bubinga body. As C. Alexander stated (exquisitely) the denser wood would probably have a more compressed sound than what I'm after and don't want a bass that weighs a ton.

Nice looking bass, Roto :)

Archived