Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Going OK, so far

Ross Brown

I have posted several times asking for advice and thoughts on dealing with our vocalist(s) that cant sing. I thought I would give an update, for what is worth.

We have been practicing with two singers now. I have noticed that the singing seems to be getting better. By this, I mean it is not painfully out of tune. Their voices are rough and they miss notes for sure, but it is better. Part of me wonders if I am just getting acclimated to them.

My wife is singing now (not in this band, yet). We bought a microphone, etc so she could get used to it. She is good, but learning that it is not as easy as it seems. She will be fine with practice. Plan is to have her guest on some songs with the band and lead on a side project that we will be getting started soon.

Band has 22 songs ready (tight) to go, 17 in progress (near ready, could do) and 16 potential songs (songs we have played but need substantial work). We can jam well together. I like the guys in the band and we laugh a lot. We are older (I am the youngest at 46) and I appreciate the fact that they are mature and understand what is important in life.

Band leader is starting to schedule gigs in late summer/Fall. I am hoping that folks dont go a running when the singers start a singing! I guess that will be the true test. Not the best approach but looks like the one we are using. I would hate to have to cancel gigs because we stink. The band has a previous (good) reputation in the area but with other vocalists. I have strongly suggested that we submit new demos prior to booking but I am alone in this. The band leader wants to go on previous rep and take the gigs.

We practice once a week. I wish it were more often until we were gigging, but I cant get them to bite on that.

This whole deal with this band will either end in a rewarding gigging experience, or make me a more seasoned player that will have stories to tell (or both).

I am having fun.

Thanks for listening (reading).

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You may have just enough time to tighten things up if everyone does their homework. That was about the same rehearsal schedule one of my old (and more successful) cover bands used. May I pass on a recommendation?

We did a few rehearsals away from the "studio" (the singer's living room or one of those moldy-smelling rehearsal rooms) at a couple of local clubs where we offered to play in the back room for a couple of hours at no pay so that we could set up our stage and get the sound man in to fine-tune the setup. (we had our own sound guy on the payroll to take care of us to minimize the possibility of a screw-up and usually got him to handle our sound instead of the house guy, which helped us sound better) We'd show up around noon, take a couple of hours to leisurely set up equipment and test things out properly (have lunch at the club so that the owner got a little compensation for the use of the back room), then rehearsed from 2-5pm (enough for 2-3 good sets) allowed early patrons to drop in and look us over, then shut down and clear out in time for the club to switch over to a dinner crowd. Since it was a lot like a dress rehearsal, it was also good for the ego to do this in the afternoon, especially if we had to all squeeze into the corner of a biker bar for an evening gig.

Seems extravagant, but we worked out a lot of technical issues (EQs, choice of mics, wirelesses, monitor placements, stage levels) that made us more efficient later on when we booked clubs. Plus I learned that even the "A-list" cover bands in my area would do this at a favorite club, especially if they were planning on doing a live video shoot that evening. I pass this on because I think when you start factoring in the sound guy and his equipment, you end up with a better sounding band. You also get hired more often and at bigger and better venues down the road.

Something to think about, if not for now, then for later. :wave:

Great idea. I know we can do that. We did do a couple of 8 song practice gigs at a local pub in March. We learned a lot. I am going to suggest that we take your advice.
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Record a couple of songs, just roughly on tape or something. Listen to it away from the band, the next day or later. That way you won't be trying to listen while concentrating on playing.

A couple of weeks later repeat the exercise with the same songs.

Listen to the 2 tapes back to back.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Archived