Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Headphones for practice: any recommendations?

bassdrummer

For late night practicing, I'd like to buy a good pair of headphones to run out of the headphone output jack of my Yorkville XM50 combo.

http://yorkville.com/images/products/sm_xm50c.jpg

I'd like to hear my low B string clearly on my G&L Tribute L2500.

http://www.glguitars.com/Tribute/instruments/pics/small/L2500_Premium.gif

I want to keep the purchase to $100 or less. Suggestions?

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sony MDR-V700's go for about $100. They are intended as DJ headphones. They are pretty heavy-duty, and can handle more power than most. They have a pretty good bass sound, although I have not tried a fiver through them.

I got them because I ruined a couple of pairs of lightweight 'phones practicing bass through them. I haven't hurt these yet (I've had them for over a year).

The only thing I don't like about them is the coiled cord; straight would be more convenient. But I just tuck the cord under the bass strap, to keep the thing from tugging on the side of my head.

Ed

I have been using a pair of Sennheiser HD 202's for over a year and they are still ok. They are an inexpensive at only $50.00. I would recomend you get open ear type not closed. The closed ones really put a lot of Bass in your head and you will have a headache before too long not to mention damaging your hearing.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

The Sony MD series or the AKGK240. The AKG have an insane amout of bass in them. When I mix late at night with them, I have to take that into consideration.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

I've got lots of Sennheiser phones, including HD250 and HD280. If you are trying to be quiet then closed phones is what you need. Trouble is this will mean that no-one will be able to get your attention. I think the HD280 has a hinged earpiece so that you can have one ear exposed to world. The comfort varies a lot and if you are going to wear them for extended periods, you really do need to try them out.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Grado makes unbelievable headphones. I so lust for a set.

The cheap Sennheiser and AKG phones are a great bargain. I have found some of the cheaper AKGs to be some of the most comfortable to wear for long periods of time.

I actually think Sony cans sound good, but they kill my ears and are painful to wear. However, that's me. Everyone is different.

Thanks for all the replies. I checked out Sony's website and the MDR600's looked good at $99. Looks like a lot of you also like the Sennheiser HD 280's or the AKG K66? I actually thought I'd rather have the earphones that go all the way around the ear ("closed/circumaural")

I'll have to try out some different designs. Thanks again everyone!

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

Archived