Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hey, uhm... Anyone know what Kate Bush is doing?

[quote]Originally posted by Roto: [b]Actually I read an interview with Tori Amos a couple years back and she was raving about Kate Bush [/b][/quote]Huh, really? I've never read an interview with her where she's referenced her at all... Well, that's good to hear from a respect to Tori Amos standpoint, makes me feel better for liking her and what she does.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by sign: [b] If not I guess I have a rare video. In that case I can make a copy for you Chip. Peace, Han[/b][/quote]Wow, I'll send you email, I don't know how much postage/handling would be for where you are but I'll try to make it worth your while beyond that That sounds really interesting! I've never seen any footage of her in an interview, just the Hammersmith Odeon concert.... ... Which HAD to have been seen by Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan, and most particularly Sarah Brightman...

Covers: I think Jeff Buckley would have been perfect, maybe the only person who'd have the range and interpretive ability. Liz Fraser would be cool. Seal, while not having the range, would be perfect. "Straight Down the Middle" would be perfect, it's constructed like one of his tunes melodically. [quote]Originally posted by posterchild: [b]I think I might have listened to her stuff too much (is it possible to take the enjoyment out of something by overdoing it?), [/b][/quote]I went through such a phase. I got real hung up on trying to emulate some of her phrasing on guitar, which I think is possibly the most unique and expressive ever. Real subtle things, but also some majorly in-your-face phrasing that just yanks your sensibility around. Real "from the fountainhead" music, as it should be. Totally brave.

I saw and heard Kate for the first time when she was on Saturday Night Live, no idea what year that was, but she did the song Rolling The Ball and I was mesmerized. My girlfriend says " oooh what's so great about her, she's wierd". Yeah right, Kate Bush is one of the sexiest performers I've ever heard or seen, BUT she has talent and depth too. She would have been 100 times more popular if she wasn't so adverse to touring. I told her you guys were talking about her when I talked to her on the phone last night.

Tori = Kate Bush? Maybe "Little Earthquakes" but nothing after, sorry, I just don't hear it. Their voices are quite similar, but their songs very differnt. I am a huge Tori fan and yes, she does always give Kate her props, but she'll tell you she's more from the Joni Mitchell school than Kate's. Listen to "Boys for Pele" or "To venus and Back" - it's 100% orignal Tori sounds, no rip off stylings. IMHO you're selling both artists short by making this blanket comparision.

Let's get David Bowie to do "Hello Earth" from "Hounds". That's one of my favorites. Or "Running Up That Hill" by Sting? I agree that Tori is similar but different. Personally I find Tori is frequently too depressing, but interesting. I can listen to "Cornflake Girl" all day. I am going to pull out Sensual World and listen again - I don't know it as well as Hounds of Love... Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

[quote]Originally posted by Chip McDonald: [b] [quote]Originally posted by sign: [b] If not I guess I have a rare video. In that case I can make a copy for you Chip. Peace, Han[/b][/quote]Wow, I'll send you email, I don't know how much postage/handling would be for where you are but I'll try to make it worth your while beyond that That sounds really interesting! I've never seen any footage of her in an interview, just the Hammersmith Odeon concert.... ... Which HAD to have been seen by Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan, and most particularly Sarah Brightman...[/b][/quote]Well Chip, I'll be happy to send you a copy, just mail me your snail mail adress. Peace, Han.
The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

Archived