Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Godin Solidac - new toy...er...uh...tool!

Gruuve

The blonde and redheads will now have a Canadian brunette to hang out with. Been looking for one of these used at a good price for quite a while, and finally snagged one off Ebay:

http://www.ipass.net/davesisk/music/pics/GodinSolidac1.jpg

Godin Solidac, solid body electric guitar, has neck and bridge humbuckers and single-coil mid pickup, plus a piezo bridge with onboard preamp. I should be able to get some pretty good Les Paul and Strat type sounds out of this girlfriend, plus the piezo bridge yields what is allegedly a very convincing acoustic-electric tone. (I haven't actually played one of these...there's none to be found anywhere around here, so this was a "calculated-risk" purchase.) I'm expecting that this will record very nicely. And it's black, so it ought to be really loud. :cool: The only thing left to upgrade now is the guitarist. :freak:

Funny story (well, now it's funny). I bought one almost exactly like this one about a month ago off Ebay, and luckily the seller insured it because the Fedex truck had a wreck and all the cargo was destroyed. (I got my cash back from the seller of course, and he filed an insurance claim.) Anyway, I paid more for the lost one AND it was an older model, so I guess it this closure was meant to be, eh?

Just as a side note, I'll have a fairly decent Ibanez RX-20 electric guitar for sale shortly, assuming the UPS truck drivers drink and drive a little better than the Fedex guys. It sounds and plays pretty nice for a budget guitar, and I'll probably let it go for around $125, so if you know anyone who might want it, lemme know. Cosmetically, it's almost immaculate, has a white pickguard, maple neck and fretboard, and most importantly the body is none-more-red, so even a beginner can play it really fast. :cool:

L8r,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice find! I'm not much of a guitarist, in fact I played my Seagull acoustic for the first time in maybe 4 weeks tonight, trying to add something to my chord vocabulary. The Seagull has me sold on the company's related products - Godin basses and guitars - and Godin puts out some beautiful stuff. The few I've laid eyes and hands upon have been mighty inviting.

Looking forward to your piezo review. I have heard a Parker Fly in full acoustic simulation mode, and it would certainly pass the blind-fold test. The Solidac is quite a different beast than a Fly, but I expect she'll sound great.

- Matt W.

Yeah, I had just started looking at the Parker NiteFly after the first Solidac getting destroyed in transit (as well as considering the Schecter C1 E/A). I gather the Parker has a passive piezo pickup with no piezo preamp. So it sounded pretty realistic then huh? Interesting...I would've expected it to not be that great without a preamp for the piezo (but what do I know!) I can't wait to get my hands on this one...all the reviews say it's a very comfortable to play.

This is also making me wonder if a piezo bridge might be a worthwhile addition to one of my basses. Hmmm...

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Hi Dave, nice guitar. I'm not much with the computer, could you please tell me the procedure for putting a picture within the text area as you did on this post? Would appreciate the help.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Hey Dave,

Nice find! I'm a big fan of Godin. I've got a Godin BG4 bass and love it. I also have a Simon & Patrick 6 string acoustic with a pick-up and also really like it. These guitars and basses are made in Quebec and are top notch(in my opinion) and priced really well. If you look at my sig and squint, the BG4 and the Simon & Patrick are the first 2 hanging on the wall.

One of my students has a Norman 6 string acoustic and another has a Seagull 6 string acoustic. They are all made by the same company.

Enjoy!!

Jason

Good on ya, Dave! I still kick myself for passing up on a Solidac I played and wanted 6 years ago; it would have been a steal at $300+- then. I ended up getting a Hamer Duotone to use as my electric w/piezo; once I got the intonation set it's pretty good (still needs new tuners) but the piezo sound is more than passable. I Still look for Solidacs every now and then; glad you got a good deal. Enjoy!

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Yeah Dan...If you recall I made a post on the guitar forum almost a year ago posing some questions about the Schechter C1 E/A...you're actually the person who turned me on to the Godin Solidac (and I did consider the Hamer Duotone as well, but the Godin just looked to fit my tastes better from the electric standpoint).

As I understand it, Godin does indeed have a rep for immaculate quality (which was why I was willing to make this purchase without having handled one). I recently saw a Godin BG-5 bass go on Ebay for a little over $300...street price looks to be $950 on those new...I almost bought that bass just to give it a try since it was a such a ridiculously low price!

Maybe I ought to check to see if they have solidbody basses with piezo bridges...I'd imagine they do...I know they have some hollowbody basses with piezo...

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by Dave Sisk:

Maybe I ought to check to see if they have solidbody basses with piezo bridges...I'd imagine they do...I know they have some hollowbody basses with piezo...

At this point eBay may be your best chance. LOOKS LIKE their current bass line-up is down to the Freeway and A Series. IIRC, some of the previous Signature Series basses had piezo.
- Matt W.

Dave,

Do you mind saying how much you got the Godin for? I've had my eye on getting another 6 string electric and had overlooked this model but after reading the specs on their site, I'm much more interested.

It has the same p/u configuration as my Peavey Horizon II(2 double hummbuckers and 1 single coil) minus the piezo p/u, which seems like an awesome feature.

Dual outputs are also very interesting.

Thanks,

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Hey comrades...this guitar came a few days ago, and I've gotten to spend maybe an hour or two with it. This is quite a nice guitar. The mahogany neck looks and feels incredible...it's a fairly thin neck, so it feel really comfortable to play. I'm not crazy about the black sparkle finish, but for it's versatility and the price, I definitely ain't gonna complain. The piezo tone out of this solid-body guitar sounds more like a good acoustic-electric than my acoustic-electric does (of course, the acoustic-electric is a slightly used Carlo-Robelli that I picked up dirt-cheap, so it's probably not even a fair comparison). I'm still exploring the electric tones a bit, but so far it sure seems to have all the versatility I was expecting. This Solidac really makes my old Ibanez RX-20 sound like a cheap beginner guitar (oh wait...it is a cheap beginner guitar...nevermind).

One thing I really notice, especially since there's a knob to blend the electric and acoustic sound to one output (it has two outputs)...the acoustic sound is fantastic through my bass rig, but the electric sound is way too bright (expected). The electric sound is really good through the little 30-watt Johnson bass amp that I have sitting around (score on that since it's worthless as a bass amp...of course, I did essentially get it pretty much free, so I can't complain about that), but the acoustic sound is not bright enough through it. I see why they put two outputs on the guitar...to really get the right sounds from both magnetic and piezo, you'd really need to run the output for the mag pups to a real guitar amp, and probably run the piezo output straight to a PA or an amp designed for an acoustic-electric.

Regardless, this was money well-spent, especially since the it's main use will be recording and just general tinkering.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Funny that, I too have recorded with a Godin (A4 fretless) two tracks - one for normal piezo PUs output and the other from a microphone. The blended sound is better than either of the individual tracks.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Archived