Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing bass and singing

Ross Brown

I don't feel like I sing well and have told my band that I don't. The truth is that I have never tried very hard.

We currently only have one vocalist and he gets tired with a whole night of singing. We can adjust the length of the insrumentals to give him a break. I thought perhaps I would try to give him a break and sing a couple.

I find it difficult to sing and play bass at the same time. I am fairly coordinated in general so my questions are; is this something that gets better with practice or if I find myself having trouble doing both now, is that enough information and I should forget it?

Are there tricks? Mind games? I thought about starting with songs like Boom Boom. Seems like the singing and bass occur at different times.

I also know that there are only certain songs that I will carry the tune well enough for prime time. Others just don't seem to click. What is that?

(I hope they tell me if I sound like crap)

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Ross, I'm in the same boat: I enjoy singing but I sound like a constipated, adolescent frog when I sing. Or something.

Anyway, I can tell you from experience that it IS definitely something that gets easier with practice. The easiest thing to do is practice slooooooowly, and make sure that you know each part independently before you try to put them together.

One trick that works for me is to break down the parts, see where they line up and where they differ: for example, when you're playing a syncopated rhythm, try and make a note of which vocal part corresponds with which rest, and which note. Or, if you're playing a walking line, focus more on the position of your finger and less on the note you're playing, so that your fingers almost become "mechanical," but playing the right note, and you can worry about that less and your vocal technique and posture more.

I'm sure more people here who are better singers will have more advice, but I hope that this helps! Good luck!

It is SO something that gets easier with practice. I started trying to do this about a year ago and have made huge progress since then. Here's what I do:

1. Learn the bassline. Play it incessantly. I find it much easier to play my own basslines than similarly complex ones by other people.

2. Learn the vocal. Sing it lots. Again, I find my own songs easier than other peoples, but if you're not writing them then you'll just have to keep practising until it's internalised.

3. Play the bassline with the bass unplugged and start singing over it. Don't let mistakes phase you, just keep forcing it through. Concentrate on the singing and don't listen to the bass - that's why being unplugged works so well.

4. Plug the bass in and continue. And just persevere. Amazing what you can manage if you don't think too hard about how hard it is!

Best thing I've ever done for my bass playing. :D

Alex

Yep, I'll second that!

Alex

P.S. Thomas, I checked out those 3 tunes of your's. Cool stuff! The harmonica one is kind of Beck but not. I'll like the way you manage to get the attitude coming through on such rough demos - mine are much barer, so I know how the song is going together but it's not a finished product until I get the whole band cranking.

Like Thomas said above. Once you start it, you'll probably like it and eventually wonder why you waited so long to get your voice out there. The thing is you will get better at it. The best way (I think) to start out is playing a slower song that the bass changes or runs are at a minimum. As you feel more comfortable with your voice, you'll find that the more difficult bass lines will come easier. I think it's a matter of first building some confidence, then showing off what you got. I've been doing this now for over 30 years, and beleive me after time you'll find yourself thinking "I can do some of this Geddy Lee stuff". Good Luck, Ken

I find it very hard for me to do, so I find that

I can only do it on a few songs. FYI I really sound bad when I sing even without my bass.

If you smell something stinking, it's juz me, I'm funky like that

This is not a battle I will ever have to have with myself. I can hum really well, but I couldn't carry a tune to save my life!

I will say that I admire anyone that can play and sing at the same time. If you have the ability to sing well, go ahead and develop it. In my opinion, it only adds to your talent and increases your value to the band. Good luck!

-- Joe --

"If you think you're too old, then you are." --Lemmy Kilmister

"I have not seen a man who is not god already." --Austin Osman Spare

I've done heaps of singing, but never while playing. But now I've FINALLY started doing both--if only a little bit. I joined a new band & they wanted me to do some harmonies. It takes work; fortunately they wanted only very simple stuff at first. Now I'm doing a bit more. It's coming...I'm glad I read all the threads on this board about it. :D The advice I got here was good: practice the bass, practice singing, practice doing them together.

I will try it. In the privacy of my music room, door closed, recorder running (maybe). There are great threads out there already. My appologies again for starting a new one.
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Practice...practice...practice til your fingers bleed. Put the song in your home CD player Boom box whatever, and learn it on your own time, that way when you go to band practice you will be

ready & confident. Have patience, it takes time, but it will come to you. You have to have the self discipline to stay at it. Also try not to look at your hand position on the neck. Use the Force Luke. :D

The last band I was in I did 90% of the lead vocals and played bass. Took some time off for awhile and have just recently gotten into another band. The new band has a front man/vocalist but I have been called upon to do most of the backing vocals and harmonies. It has taken awhile to get back into playing AND singing but it is coming along. Funny how it used to be just what I did and then I come back and it's not so easy anymore. As everyone else has said...it does get easier with practice. Stick with it. There are actually songs that singing makes certain parts easier to play.

The ability to sing while playing is probably one of the most valuable tools a pop/rock musician can have in their arsenal.

In fact, for quite a few years, if you went to audition on bass for a band, they'd ask you to sing before you even plugged in your bass.

Anyway... yeah. This topic has been discussed many times in this forum and a few of the others. It all comes down to practice.

And... lest we forget... WWLD?

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Archived