Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ashdown equipment

wade_g

I don't live in the largest town, so unfortunately I have not seen any Ashdown equip in stores to mess with.

• There is a difference between Belief and Truth.
  • Constantly searching for Truth makes your Beliefs seem believable.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll pass on the voting but Ashdown is reputed to be very decent equipment, I've not played it myself but have heard very nice sounds coming from an Ashdown rig.
Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

Originally posted by getz76:

What can you get your hands on in your area?

What are you using now?

I have a SWR workingman's 15" combo, and sometimes use this old dbx compressor.

I'm not really in the market for anything, but I do like to know what to bother with just in case.

That, and I was looking through a catalog and noticed they have a few Bass Effect pedals.

• There is a difference between Belief and Truth.
  • Constantly searching for Truth makes your Beliefs seem believable.

I'm an Ashdown owner and user.

I voted decent gear, and better than most on price.

The gear I have is:

Mag 300 head.

Mag 410 Deep cabinet.

Electric Blue EB 12-180 combo.

All gear was excellent value, and performs very well.

Although I still like my Mag 300 head very much, the Ashdown Blueline speakers in their cabs certainly have a distinctive "Ashdown" sound.

You may love it, or you may not. I quite like it, but have recently found some cabs that sound more like "me".

So, I'm keeping my Mag 300 head, and now running it through a Warwick 211 Pro cab. Soon I'll be getting a second Warwick cab to go under it for bigger gigs - probably a 411 Pro, but possibly a 410 pro or 115 pro...still not decided.

So, overall - Ashdown gear is very good, and is very well priced (I'm only speaking for the Mag and EB range, as I haven't owned or used the higher end ABM gear). The Ashdown gear definitely has a trademark sound, which you'll need to decide on.

:thu:

I have Ashdown (as seen in my sig). I love both the amp and the cab and really think Ashdown makes excellent equipment (better than most). Has a unique Ampeg kind of sound though that some bassists don't really prefer, but other than that, it is highly recommended.

Warwick Streamer Jazzman 5, Fernandes LEB-2

Ashdown ABM-300, Ashdown ABM 4x10

I don't like to generalise about a brand, especially one that covers such a wide price range. The ABM heads have a great reputation as fairly high end gear, but they're not cheap. The MAG heads are a lot of bang for the buck. IMO their cabinets are decidedly outdated, not terribly efficient, heavy and short on real power handling - you can do better.

Alex

I agree with Alex. I have an ABM 500 head which is now about 4 years old and has been great.

I got good comments about my sound as soon as I changed from my old Trace Elliot rig.

However I went for different speaker cabinets and have not regretted it.

I have to say I don't think the cheaper Ashdown stuff is all that special...but it does depend on your budget.

'The most important thing is to settle on a bass then commit to it. Get to know your bass inside and out and play it in every situation you can.' Marcus Miller

Originally posted by wade_g:

Originally posted by getz76:

What can you get your hands on in your area?

What are you using now?

I have a SWR workingman's 15" combo, and sometimes use this old dbx compressor.
Brother, you got the right stuff. If you spend a few years working with that you'll be able to handle most of your gigs and save up for something more expensive and versatile down the road. I sold my dbx compressor last year because it was collecting cobwebs and you can find decent compression pedals for less.

As for pedals, best to bring your bass into a store during their "quiet time" and sit down with a variety of them. If possible, try them out on a similar combo. Make sure a tuner is on your priority list. Less is better!

:wave:

I love my Mag 300. It is just versatile and strong and dependable and packs a great whollop.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

I bought an ABM500 recently. The tone controls overlap a lot, and after using it for a while I decided it just wasn't the right amp. I needed something cleaner for church, though it worked fine for my rock band. I must say that I love the look of the things.

When I bought it, there was an issue with one of the speaker jacks, which the distributor had fixed.

I only tried their speakers when I tried the amp - sounded good but I have no real experience.

I consider the ABM line to be priced at or a bit higher than amps I think of as their competitors.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived