Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Technical question...

haggard

Hi people

I know this is not the adequate forum to post this question, but I could not get info from other forums (or thru the search function). Does anybody have experience with the Alesis X25 MIDI Controller? :confused: Would you recommend it?

"If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn"

Charlie Parker

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Odd that the Keyboard Corner wouldn't be helpful on this one. :rolleyes:

All I can say is that I use an Alesis QS7 in my music technology class. We use it primarily as a Gen. MIDI controller, although we also use the synths, for what they're worth (not much).

It looks heavy and stable (can't tell for sure because it is bolted to the workstation). The key action is not as bad as a $5 toy, but not as good as a weighted-key keyboard (nor a real piano).

BTW: Are you talking about the Alesis Photon X25 ? I guess it could work for note entry into a DAW. I'm not a proficient keyboard player, but I think I'd want more than just two octaves to work with myself. Sure, for note-at-a-time entry it doesn't matter so much, but sometimes you may want to have a piano/keyboard player come by and punch a track; they will not be able to do so with 25 keys.

Ah, just another comment. I'd be very tempted to try a MIDI bass for note entry instead of a keyboard. I'd be interested to hear if anybody *cough*greenboy*cough* has ever tried this. For me at this point in time I just have much more expressivity on bass than on keys.

Thanks a lot for the comment RicBass, it was helpful. Yes, I talked about the Alesis Photon X25. I preffer a portable keyboard because I travel a lot and can take advantage of that otherwise spare time. I want the controller mostly for experimenting, and I think the 25 key is ok for me at the moment.

A MIDI Bass would not be bad, maybe to consider in the future (mostly for financial reasons). The only one I found in Ebay is 900 australian dollars... I am more proficient at bass than at the keys, too. :D

"If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn"

Charlie Parker

Archived