Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

upright

Pastaroni

out of curiosity:

does anyone know where to find used uprights? a nice starter one thats kinda cheap but not a hunk of crap

(playing bass)Hmmm...why does it smell like burning...oh...i just blew a fuse and the power strips on fire....oh well(continues playing)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well....

You'll not be finding a store with 15 Kay basses hanging on the wall.

Many, many starter basses started out as crap, and if they are for sale used, they are used up.

I don't know how much you expect to spend, but I know of a couple of sources for brand new basses in the $2500-3500 range. Unless you get lucky, you'll not find a good bass much cheaper than that.

Check Bob Gollihur's website...I think he has some good stuff.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

ok thanks... i did the usually check on ebay ( i know most people have looked for gear there) i found some ridiculously cheap, like brand new uprights for $295 and $195 s/h. i like the price but that makes me a little concerned about the quality
(playing bass)Hmmm...why does it smell like burning...oh...i just blew a fuse and the power strips on fire....oh well(continues playing)

I think it's safe to say that if you pay $300 for an upright, you will get what you deserve. Also, when you do buy, TAKE AN EXPERIENCED BASSIST ALONG. Pay someone if you must.

there inlays a problem:

1.) only musician in my family so no one to help i'm the soul input of information for myself

2.) i can't even find a teacher to learn upright so again i'd be on my own

and i'm not really looking to buy one right this instant...maybe within a year or three

by the way i appreciate all the help. thanks

Dean makes a nice upright, I played one at the local music-go-round (basically a new/used music recyclery type of store). the price runs along the lines of $900 brand new on the internet. It's called a Pace Upright 5 and it comes in a few colors.
hmmm...

There are plenty of upright bassists in New Jersey. You could probably find 20 who teach in Hackensack alone.

Bob Gollihur, our esteemed moderator, lives in Jersey, I'm sure he could recommend someone for you.

i'm sure ure right ben, what i meant to say is i can't find anybody LOCALLY, living in union, nj ure not likely to find many teachers

Originally posted by Tim C:

Dean makes a nice upright, I played one at the local music-go-round (basically a new/used music recyclery type of store). the price runs along the lines of $900 brand new on the internet. It's called a Pace Upright 5 and it comes in a few colors.

Just FYI...I think he's referring to an acoustic upright, not an electric upright. The Dean Pace is an odd animal...essentially an upright electric bass moreso than an electric upright (if that makes any sense). It doesn't have the same scale length as a typical AUB or EUB, nor does it have a fingerboard radius that would allow arco (ie. playing with a bow).

The most dirt-cheap but decent electric uprights I've ever seen are the Ergo EUB's. I've never played one, but reviews seem to indicate they are decent for the price. I have a BSX ST-4 EUB that I really like, but I don't play it nearly enough. I can't really offer any advice on AUB's, but I'm sure other folks will provide suggestions and details. Also, I'd suggest using the search function...this topic has been discussed a lot over the past couple years, and you'll find a plethora of existing info and suggestions.

HTH,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

i just turned 16 so no i can't drive...i realize new york is right there but its a real hassel having to go to the city for like an hour lesson....

OK, I know you said there aren't any local teachers, but I just want to make certain you checked with the public school system as well. For instance, New Jersey State University (the Jersey City campus) has a couple of music instructors who supplement their income accepting outside students for bass lessons. You may also want to sign up in a summer program, although you may have to start on another instrument at first: I took trombone one summer in Hoboken High School, and the cost of the course and renting a trombone was very reasonable. Anyway, I think you get the general idea.

Since it's getting nearer to the summer, there might be someone who can refer you to a teacher in the school system who'd be willing to meet up with you for lessons. If I were you I'd start contacting the music department nearest you online and explain your situation.

This presumes your parents are willing to support you in this effort. If they won't, you're basically stuck until you get a driver's license. You should point out to them that learning an instrument would mean they'd have a reasonable expectation that you'd be home most nights of the week instead of hanging out at the mall.

Check with the band teacher at your high school. He/she should be able to point you in the right direction. I bet you'll be surprised to find that there might be a URB player in your area that might be able to help you out.

Archived