Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Active Elec. noob question

theTragicRich

Back in May of 2005, I bought my first active elec bass (first active instrument to be exact) so I'm still new to active electronics.

I've had the bass for just under a year now with the stock batteries in them (18V) and I'm guessing the batteries have to be dying as I'm getting some weird noises out of the amp even when I turn the pickup volumes all the way down. Well, I'm hoping it's the batteries dying, but not knowing what signs to look for it was my first guess. My next guess would be either wiring is going bad, or the pickups going bad.

It's hard to describe the sound, but at first I thought it was thundering outside LOL. So, I going to dig around for some 9V batteries, but on average, how long do the batteries on active electronics run for?

Oh yea, I probably play a few hours a day, 5 days a week.

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks... that's what I thought, but I suppose the only real way to prove is to get a set of batteries (off to the store right now as a matter of fact).

hey hey hey,

another illinesian with a problem, if the batteries thing doesn't work, open up the cavity and look around a bit, but don't on any circumstances try to "fix what ain't broken" hope it's just batteries. pick energizer, because they keep going and going. :D

hmmm...

Originally posted by SeamyD:

I would recommend changing the battery every time you change strings. I have found that it makes a difference with my warick. I try to take a month out of a set of strings( waiting on that string endorsement for 6 string corrvettes!!!!)

I think monthly battery changes are a bit wasteful unless you are playing (and plugged in) for a lot of hours each day. If you are going to connect one type of maintenance to another, make it clear how often you are recommending a change (which SeamyD did). I change my strings every 10-12 months. I usually change my battery about every 6 months - usually just before a gig (which for me is 3-4 times a year :rolleyes: ).

Originally posted by Big Daddy from Motown:

Wireing doesn't go bad slowly. It's either good or bad, intermittent is bad.

Pickups are also ok or dead.

I wouldn't trust onboard batteries for more than 6 months.

I agree about the 6 months - I remember the insides of many toys being corroded when I left the batteries in there too long.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

It was the batteries...

Originally posted by thanny XIII:

or you just suck :P

well that's besides the point :P:D

Archived