Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

First sit in, in over 20 yrs a bust

EZ

I sat in with a group tonight it was a open mike night, and a guitar player I met a few weeks ago invited me out. Well it did not go well they were playing stuff like Bad Girl by Donna Summers, and Boogie oogie oogie by Taste of Honey, and I knew stuff like Sir Duke, by Stevie Wonder, and Snoops Search / Red Baron by Billy Cobham We tried I shot the Sheriff, and that was kind of ok the drummer after a few bars fig out that I was playing it more funky than reggae. After all that, we did some improv a little bosanova that went well. The guitar player told me to come out tomorrow night they there will be another band out that can play some of the stuff I know, heck I thought everyone had a feel for Isnt she lovely, but I found out tonight what I know dont work down here. I did get a Card from some guy that works with one of the small studios here, and told me they are looking for bass players. So I hope tonight was not a total bust, but I really dont know what they think of my playing. The other bass player said he like the things I was doing, I just wish I knew more of the type of stuff they do here. I will try to learn some of that old disco, and funk stuff so hopefully I ll be able to fit in better. Any thoughts on weather I should go tomorrow night?
If you smell something stinking, it's juz me, I'm funky like that

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do it EZ!

"That which doen't kill us.." and all that stuff. It's just music, get out there and do your thing!

Break a leg! :D:thu:

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

How you observe your playing is totally different from how other people see and (more importantly) hear it.

You know what you can do, and that you could probably do a better job. So what? People said you did well, you got cards and offers and whatnot.

Go for it :thu:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Heck, yeah, you ought to go. Last evening was not a total loss. You made some contacts. You made the decision to up your disco skills. You got your name out there a little more than it was.

Atta boy... Hit 'em hard tonight.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

One bad night with a bunch of clueless guys isn't enough to be discouraged. Wait till you've endured at least one more before you throw in the towel forever.. ;)

Sunday night, I am gonna hit a local jam, and I plan on playing bass instead of guitar. I figure there might be more bands or people wanting to start bands that are looking for bass players than guitarists. and I'd like to find a paying gig of some sort. As we all know, guitarists are a dime a dozen...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

...they were playing stuff like Bad Girl by Donna Summers, and Boogie oogie oogie by Taste of Honey, and I knew stuff like Sir Duke, by Stevie Wonder, and Snoops Search / Red Baron by Billy Cobham We tried I shot the Sheriff, and that was kind of ok the drummer after a few bars fig out that I was playing it more funky than reggae. After all that, we did some improv a little bosanova that went well. The guitar player told me to come out tomorrow night they there will be another band out that can play some of the stuff I know, heck I thought everyone had a feel for Isnt she lovely, but I found out tonight what I know dont work down here.
Learn some of the stuff that they know in the style they play it in. They already have a gig/band.

Originally posted by Luke73:

The guitar player told me to come out tomorrow night...
I did get a Card from some guy that works with one of the small studios here, and told me they are looking for bass players...
Well done, ;) Sounds like you made a good impression.

Keep up the great work, and enjoy the next night out.

:thu:

I agree with this. If you made a bad impression, they would say, "we'll call you".

Now spend the rest of today learning those songs...they are not very hard.

Archived