Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Noob here, i have a question.

Dyno357

Alright, I'm thinking about getting a bass, I'm going to try to teach myself, and most likely learn off of the website. My question is what kind of bass should I get?- since i'm just getting started. I'm planning to play hard rock, and a little ska mostly... but I'm goin to experiment with all kinds of music. So I'm guess something versatile. lol, please help me out.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only been playing for like 7 months, I am a noobie too. My advice is to go to your local music store and play as many different basses that you can. You'll be able to tell which one you like the best. Oh, and just because it is more expensive doesn't make it better. I have a Slammer made by Hamer, I guess they compare to the squire series from Fender and a Fender aerodyne jazz. Had them both set up professionly, and I honestly think I like my "cheap" guitar better. Although compared to what some guys play, my aerodyne is cheap. I've played a few warwicks and a lakland and didn't know what all the hype was about. But it could be that I can't get past the sticker shock. On the other hand I absolutely love the Musicman Stingray. It just felt great in my hands. Hope that helps.

P.S. I definitely recommend finding a teacher. But I don't know what your musical background is. It could come easy for ya. Good luck and welcome to the forum. Shane

How do you sign a computer screen?

Thanks for the advice fingertalkin... Yea, I used to play a little acoustic and electric guitar when I was younger, kinda lost the touch for it. But I wanted to try bass, just because it's a different aspect in music than the regular guitar. Anyways, I guess the point of playing it in the music store is to hold it and experience how comfortable it feels, and to compare it to other ones?

Yeah, they all have a different feel, to me anyway. Some basses are wider in the neck, but feel more comfortable to me to play even though I have small hands. So I would definitely recommend trying some out. As far as an amp goes, try out different ones when you try different basses. I have a cheap combo, Fender rumble 100. Good and mobile and I can hear it over a drummer and guitarist, but it is only for practicing. When I start gigging, I will upgrade to something else as funds permit.

How do you sign a computer screen?

I give you (keep in mind that this is just opinion based on the guitars I've played with) my personal bass heirarchy out of the makers with which I'm familiar:

1. Carvin

2. Gibson (Epiphone is their cheaper models)

3. Dean

4. Ibanez

5. B.C. Rich

Here's what I think. 1 and 2 produce great instruments, If you have the funds that is. 4 gives you the best overall value for dollar, (korean labor is cheaper) their basses have a unique tone also. 5: all form, no function. 3 produces a wide range of qualities but usually nice quality instruments for a semi-reasonable price.

hope I could be of help

hmmm...

For me the most important thing is the "feel" of the bass in my hands. I have three. A Peavey Grind, an Ibanez Ergodyne and a Rickenbacker 4001. All sound good (RIC has incredible sound but it is better than I am).

The Grind is the most comfortable. My fingers know where all of the notes are. The RIC is only comfortable when I am sitting to play. The Ergodyne is nice but heavey. Has a thin neck that I like.

When I try a new bass I plug it in at the store to see if it works but I really know everything I need to know by holding it (with a strap on).

Strange maybe, but that is me. When I get it home with my amps, etc. then I really know if it is a keeper. The feel is the most important though.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Since you are new to the instrument, I'm trying to consider cost as a major factor.

You can't go wrong with a Fender. A Mexican made one will get you off to a good start, for not a lot of cabbage. A lot of people here like the Jazz, a fine choice, I prefer the Precision myself. Either way, they are considered a workhorse in almost every type of music. One thing I would advise is to have it properly "setup" by a qualified tech. In the future you can learn to do it yourself, that and we can fully explain GAS once you get hooked on the bass.

Ibanez makes some fine, low cost instuments as well, I hear.

Do not buy a BC Rich.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Originally posted by Ross Brown:

I have... an Ibanez Ergodyne

:D

Me too (edb600), it was my first bass, I love that crazy egg shell colored bastard. Now (since christmas) I have an SR800(Soundgear) in additon to it, (the only two basses i own, but still not a bad collection) the neck is so thin and really well crafted on the SR, but i still can't get quite the same touch as with the EDB. I don't think I'll ever be able to part with my Ergodyne, or the soundgear, for that matter. What can I say, I'm an Ibanez man.

hmmm...

Originally posted by butcherNburn:

Do not buy a BC Rich.

Listen to the man, he knows what he's talking about.

To explain what I mean by all form, no function:

The truth of it is, my opinions of BC Rich comes from my experience with with my dad's 4-string Mockingbird. A Mockingbird, for those unfamiliar with the BC Rich lineup, is part of the Platinum Series meaning top 'o the line creme de la creme BC Rich. It's a really cool looking guitar so it's definitely aesthetically pleasing, however, its unbalanced design causes MAJOR :o neck-dive. The action is a little high for my tastes also, and the neck itself is pretty thick. The tone (all three selections and the variations on each selection) is really hard to get away from the "growly" metal sound, overall it's a complete disappointment, a disappointment which costs over a half thousand dollars.

That's why I don't really like BC Rich

hmmm...

Platinum series BC Rich guitars are NOT the top of the line. They are the next series up from the Bronze series which are the bottom line. They have list prices of anywhere from 5 to $700 dollars. The top of the line series BC Rich guitars are custom made USA instruments that probably start at over $2000. Mockingbirds are designated by their shape and are available in every series.

Hard Rock = 5-String

I like Ibanez. I have an Ibanez sr305dx. The action/playability and tone is great. Only about $350. It might be a bit pricy to start with, but it's worth it. Go to your local store and see what they have.

And a Behringer BX600 bass amp. Great sound and they're very $cheap$ - Under $200

Cabbage: Pronounced- cuh-bah-ge

Element Broken: www.elementbroken.iwarp.com

Thanks for all the comments, lol didn't check it for a day and I get all this. That's what I was looking for, something not too expensive but, can be used for a variety of music types. I'm really considering the Fender Jazz but, I've always liked the way Ibanez electric guitars look and sound- so an Ibanez bass is very considerable. I'm not sure though, I guess I'll have to stop by the music store and experiment with some of them. I guess I'll check out that Behringer BX600 amp, is there a website or something I could look up about them, just in case the music store doesn't have any. Also, a little more info on other bass amps would help me out further, Thanks.

Actually, instead of an amp might I suggest... THIS

Very handy and practical device to have in the ol' woodshed with you. That way you can save up the $$ for a quality amplifier whilst getting your chops up to par.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Hey, Don't know anything about buying a bass only just got one myself but i am already a musician so i wanna give you advise on learning...if that's alright.

Get this book 'hal Leonard Complete bass method'

Someone recommended it to me on this site.

Don't bother learning bass tab, learn to read music, i promise it's no harder, i promise.

So few bass players read so you might get payed work from it!

Belive me the world needs more reading bass players! i have a band and i know i probably live in the sticks compared to you lot but i'm going to be in real trouble if our bass player is sick. A good ear isn't good enough if you wanna play faithfull covers.

Also get some software to use midifiles as playalongs its cheap and limitless!

Sorry if i'm being bossy!

Good luck

It's not a sin to fall but it is a sin to lie there.

Archived