Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roscoe beck V pick-up: help!

MarieJo

Hep,

(sorry this basic english.)

Nobody knows where I could find some replacement pick-ups for a fender roscoe beck V?

This bass as some weird and noisy electronics since the day I got it. With the help of a senior gray-haired bassplayer, I've tested all the components and I found that one coil of the neck pick-up wasen't alive. A connection in the ceramic part seems to be the problem. Impossible to remove this part and fix it.

I can't stand anymore this noisy elc and the lack of bottom. The bass itself is very good, it's sounds amazing unplugged: I really don't want to sell it. So I have to find a new pick up.

There's is the electronics spec.

3-Position Blade Pickup Selector Switch:

Position 1. (Bridge Side), Bridge Pickup

Position 2. (Middle), Bridge and Neck Pickups

Position 3. (Neck Side), Neck Pickup

2-Mini-Toggle Coil Selector Switches.

Mini-Toggle Switch 1:

Position 1. (Bridge Side), Both Coils of Neck Pickup in Series Humbucking

Position 2. (Middle), Front Coil of Neck Pickup

Position 3. (Neck Side), Both Coils of Neck Pickup in Parallel Humbucking

Mini-Toggle Switch 2:

Position 1. (Bridge Side), Both Coils of Bridge Pickup in Series Humbucking

Position 2. (Middle), Front Coil of Bridge Pickup

Position 3. (Neck Side), Both Coils of Bridge Pickup in Parallel Humbucking

Push/Pull Mid-Shaping Tone Switch/Pot

Elect. are passive.

The dimensions are

Neck 4" by 1" 1/4

Bridge 4" 1/4 by 1" 1/4

Other thing about this bass: the bridge really s****. It's a schaller, beautiful piece of art but impossible to tune; everything is locked. I'll change it for a badass 3"

And I'm still waiting an answer from Fender.

Thanks everybody,

Marie-Jo,

Montreal

I've no more a guilty conscience, only a stomach.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed I might! First off, it sounds as though you may be having difficulty understanding the concept of the pickups.

Both pickups are set up with coil switching capabilities. They're indentically setup with the exception of their position in the body. You can switch between both of the pickups with the pickup selector switch.

Where things get a little tricky is with the coil selector switches. Namely, are you trying to solo one pickup while you have them switched into single coil mode? Because if you do, you're opening yourself up to all kinds of buzz and hum. That's just an inherent problem with single coil pickups that don't have any kind of hum cancellation going on. Now if you're still getting hum while you have the pickups in a humbucking mode, then I think that there is indeed a problem with the pickups.

If there is indeed a problem with the pickups, then you should go to the dealer you bought the bass from. Tell them what the problem is, and it should get fixed under Fender's warranty program.

As for the bridge? I've had no problem whatsoever with mine. You may need some WD-40 to get the parts loosened up, but that bridge has been very easy for me to intonate.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

No. I know well all the configurations and that noise from the electronics is not usual. The guy who helped me is very competent, playing and fixes his basses before I was born.

About the bridge, maybe you don't have the same as mine. There's srews under, on the side and above the string saddle. Each time I want to tune harmonics, I have to deal with all of them. Nothing is jammed or need WD40.

Just looking for replacement pick-ups...

thanks.

I've no more a guilty conscience, only a stomach.

Well, the pickups in this bass were designed specifically for this model. Greenboy was kind enough to fill me in on the fact that pickup guru Bill Lawrence was behind the design of these pickups. Now, you may be able to find a pickup that has similar dimensions to the stock pickups in the Roscoe Beck V, but you certainly won't get the versatility that they offer. I maintain that you should go through the dealer you bought this bass from and get it repaired or get the faulty pickup replaced with one that's in good working order. These pickups are somewhat unique, and a replacement would most likely limit your sound going forward.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Archived