Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need your opinion...

carpedebass

As much as I enjoy the growl from the Traben, I like the feel of my Dean fretless 6 string. Now that I have a Boss GT-6B, I can dial in the fretless sound even if I'm playing a fretted bass. My question is...I've seriously been thinking about having someone make my Dean into a FRETTED bass. I've seen a lot of people ripping the frets out of their bass, but I haven't heard anyone putting frets IN a fretless. I guess I could always try to find a neck for it, but what's your opinion???

Love God...Love People!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say to fret a fretless neck would cost more than the bass is worth. If you want it fretted, the best bet would be to just buy a fretted neck and replace the neck. MHO.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I know little on the topic, but the first thing that occurs to me would be to contact Dean and see if they might be willing to sell you a fretted neck. I know some manufacturers sell individual parts, but I wouldn't have a clue as to whom.

Joe

-- Joe --

"If you think you're too old, then you are." --Lemmy Kilmister

"I have not seen a man who is not god already." --Austin Osman Spare

Yup, I'd be inclined to contact Dean first and see about getting a fretted neck. If they make the same model with frets, they should be able to supply parts.

However, not all suppliers are so good with parts - MusicYo for instance.

- Matt W.

Why not sell the Traben and buy a Dean fretted? That way you can go fretless when you want the feel of it, go fretted as needed, and have two instruments.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Changing his avatar would be too much work, Tom. Gosh!

"Some people are like "slinkies". They're not really good for anything;

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a

flight of stairs."

Originally posted by thanny XIII:

Wait you like the feel of the dean but you want to fret it. Wouldn't that totally change the feel?

Uh, no! It's more the width of the neck and the general feel that I like. Also, I really want to keep the Traben. Am I spoiled???

Love God...Love People!

Just out of curiosity...have you played any of the fretted Dean's? I wasn't real crazy about how the fretted Dean's sounded (that's merely a matter of taste however)...but, I did really like the Dean fretless sound, it was almost exactly what I was looking for (and considerably less expensive than a Warwick, Pedulla, etc...one of my considerations since I knew it would see limited usage). The Dean Edge fretless that I ended up with has non-stock EMG-HZ pickups, which are passive and very earthy and organic sounding on this bass. I really like it...even moreso with the non-stock pickups.

Anyway, my point is this: just make sure you actually like how the Dean fretted basses sound...they have quite a different character than the fretless, IIRC.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Dave, I guess that's why I wanted to have it fretted to begin with instead of buying a new neck or another guitar alltogether. I figured fretting the current neck would brighten the tone somewhat, but that's OK. I have not played a fretted Dean, so you may have a valid point. I'm beginning to think twice about it...I don't want to screw up a good thing.

Love God...Love People!

Originally posted by Stackimo:

Changing his avatar would be too much work, Tom. Gosh!

Actually, I wouldn't change it. I think the Array is just a beautiful bass to listen to as well as to look at...My opinion... :D

Love God...Love People!

Archived