Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Great GOOGLE SEARCH

57pbass

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Matt W:

And you're just now finding Google Earth?

Matt ..Its actually worse than that...

someone told me about it....I'm a little slow on the pickup sometime...

www.danielprine.com

Check out Area 51. Looks pretty boring. Can't see any alien spaceships unless they've all been airbrushed out.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Originally posted by 57pbass:

Maybe I jumped a bit quick on that one.

I work in a cube farm - not everyone does. In my world, when one person finds something as cool as Google Earth it takes about 5 seconds to circulate around the office. I may have never found it on my own.

- Matt W.

Hehe ^

Yeah, it's interesting looking at your house to see if there's any cars outside. Makes ya wonder who was there, etc. Also, a mall next to us was being built at the time they refreshed it, so it's definitely a few years old. Fun stuff.

In Skynyrd We Trust

The satellite images that Google Earth and MS Virtual Earth use are culled from various sources and archives to get complete area coverage. The more metropolitan areas tend to have their pictures taken by satellites more often and the outlying areas tend to be photographed much less often. Some images are 10 years old (or older) while some are pretty recent for those very reasons. The MS Virtual Earth page has a new feature that actually allows you to drive through a city. They only have Seattle and San Francisco right now but its pretty cool stuff to see.

Originally posted by 57pbass:

Originally posted by Matt W:

And you're just now finding Google Earth?

Actually I used it to find out your exact location.
If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

By me 3/18/04:

(BTW - before you target the cruise missiles, that locates the county, not my house!)

31st and Harvard... not quite home, but maybe I ought to find out who owns that swimming pool. ;)
- Matt W.

Originally posted by butcherNburn:

Matt, we have your coordinates

36.12000 N, 95.94135 W

What you have are generic coordinates I found on Google 2 years ago. That position is neither home nor work, not a mega church, and it's not a QuikTrip either! If you must know, that is a Walgreen's on the southwest corner of the intersection.

Do you really think I would post personal GPS information on the web? Just how stoopid do you think I am? (don't answer)

What was the topic?

- Matt W.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

The satellite images that Google Earth and MS Virtual Earth use are culled from various sources and archives to get complete area coverage. The more metropolitan areas tend to have their pictures taken by satellites more often and the outlying areas tend to be photographed much less often. Some images are 10 years old (or older) while some are pretty recent for those very reasons. The MS Virtual Earth page has a new feature that actually allows you to drive through a city. They only have Seattle and San Francisco right now but its pretty cool stuff to see.

I deal with aerial photos quite a bit. We checked out google earth but found it didnt suit our needs. Pretty pictures and user interface but otherwise meaningless for us.

We use Terraserver (and the seamless version) and sometimes from the County offices. Those drop into ACAD and ArcGIS much easier even tho sometimes they use wierd and sometimes obsolete coordinate system (I dont like trying to convert from UST 10 or 11 into Nad83 state plane, tends to 'twist' the pic more often than not)

Ummmm,... I import aerial photo's (basically what your looking at in google earth) into ArcGIS or AutoCAD format. Using the images from Terraserver instead of google earth allows me to place them to the proper coordinates. Easier to work with that Google earth even tho in some areas the Terraserver uses different or obsolete coordinate system.

Take MattW's coords he has posted. 36.12000 N, 95.94135 W. Basically meaningless coordinates (altho i'm more used to Northing and Easting than Northing ans Westerly) Unless you know the State he is in (or the Latitude/Longitude), but even that isnt foolproof.

Like California for instance. I live in the San Joaquin Valley, thats a State Plane 3 zone (Cal-Nad83 Zone 3, forget what Nad stands for but the 83 was the year that coordinate system was standardized), get just a little south of Fresno and its a State Plane 4 zone. So unless you tell the software where exactly it is, the image will not drop into the proper coordinate space.

I work for a Geotech/Environmental engineering Consultants firm. Very useful (along with topography maps) for the work we do. Like placement of soil borings (soil taken for labratory testing) or monitor wells. Test for things like DDT, MTBE, various Hydrocarbons (reason why old tanks in gas stations get ripped up), Arsenic, Chloroform and a bunch of other nasty stuff. Also to help keep track of groundwater.

Dunno if that helped clear it up. My backround is more Structural and Architectural. been working at this form for almost 2.5 eyars and still not 100% on everything we do :) But I can make you pretty pictures to look at, can test strenght and placement of concrete, grout, shotcrete and can test the soil density and mositure and can make a contractors day miserable if hes an asshat and wont listen to reason.

Archived