Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Problem burning rehersal CDs

Ross Brown

I like to listen to the songs that are coming up for rehersal many many times. I download/upload and burn CDs with the songs I need for the week. The CD works great in every CD player but my car. Won't play. This is frustrating because this is lost listening time.

Can anyone help? Is there a formating change I can do? Wrong CD type? (they are Memorex CD-RW; 4X, 700MB,80min).

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it plays in your home system, but not in your car, then it seems as if your car stereo is not able to read CD-R or CD-rw. This would mean you need a new cd player. How old is the one you have?

If you have only been playing it in your computer, you may not have finalized the cd's and therefore would not play anywhere other than your computer.

Provide more details.

"Some people are like "slinkies". They're not really good for anything;

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a

flight of stairs."

Car (VW) and CD player is new, 2005. I burn the CD using iTunes software. It plays at home at work and in Bass trainer. I burn new CDs directly. I do no formating. If they are "finalized" it is because the iTunes software does it. I am unsophisticated in this regard... Does that help? Not sure what else is important. Thanks
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Use meadia player, and some burned cd's labels(even if you didn't add them) won't play in car cd palyers because when you put them in the slot the cd player gets mad or something. Use the kind that has a flat shiny top and see if that works.

I knew a girl that was into biamping,I sure do miss

her.-ButcherNburn

Also, many car stereos won't play music that is "protected". I know iTunes and Napster files are that way as long as you keep it in file format. I have a CD/MP3/WMA player in my vehicle that will not play anything tagged as "protected". I'm not savvy enough to know how to turn off that tagging though. If you've burned the songs as a plain ol' CD, then jeremy, thanny, and Stackimo have already steered you in the right direction.

Joe

-- Joe --

"If you think you're too old, then you are." --Lemmy Kilmister

"I have not seen a man who is not god already." --Austin Osman Spare

If you copied the songs to your PC, using Windows, you end up with .wma files. Some car stereos won't play that type of file.

You need to 'rip' the songs from the original CDs, to preserve them as .wav files, and then burn your compilation CDs using those files.

The downside is that the files will be huge compared to .wma or .mpg files.

The upside is that they will sound much better as uncompressed audio files.

You can download the software to 'rip' the uncompressed files from dozens of sources online. Just do a Google search.

Copying audio files to your PC, using Windows, is not the same as 'ripping'.

P.S.

You might also have some success if you download software to covert the songs from whatever file types 'itunes' creates, to .mpg files. There are very few players that won't play .mpg files these days. Worth a shot.

I use Real Player for all my CD burning needs. I found that by converting all files to the real player format, they will burn with no problems, and they have played on everything I've tried em on, including the car stereo.

I highly recommend dbPoweramp. It will allow you to use several different formats as well as differnent bitrates. Best of all, the basic version is FREE and has no ads or any other garbage. It's just a utility.

-- Joe --

"If you think you're too old, then you are." --Lemmy Kilmister

"I have not seen a man who is not god already." --Austin Osman Spare

An RW disc will not play in a car and probably not in a standard home CD player either. The trade off for it being re-writable is that is has a lower reflectivity and the pickup in you car can't see it.

Try a CD-R disc.

Guys, no matter what format music you have, when it's burned to audio cd format, it is converted back to wav files prior to the burn process! Unless you specify the cd to be anything else (i.e. wma cd, mp3 cd, aac cd, etc.)!
www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

Originally posted by bikertrash:

An RW disc will not play in a car and probably not in a standard home CD player either. The trade off for it being re-writable is that is has a lower reflectivity and the pickup in you car can't see it.

Try a CD-R disc.

True.

Don't use CD-RW's

I think you'll find if you use non rewriteables (CD-R's) instead they should play fine.

:thu:

I-tunes can burn CDs in several formats. In I-tunes, go to preferences>advanced>burning. Make sure it's set to burn "audio CD", NOT MP3 or Data CD. These other formats might work in other players, but not a straight CD player such as the one that's probably in your car.

You've got everything you need. Don't buy anything. You can figure it out.

I-tunes can burn CDs in several formats. In I-tunes, go to preferences>advanced>burning. Make sure it's set to burn "audio CD", NOT MP3 or Data CD. These other formats might work in other players, but not a straight CD player such as the one that's probably in your car.

You've got everything you need. Don't buy anything. You can figure it out.

Guys, no matter what format music you have, when it's burned to audio cd format, it is converted back to wav files prior to the burn process! Unless you specify the cd to be anything else (i.e. wma cd, mp3 cd, aac cd, etc.)!
While this is effectively true, although the files are really .cda files, not .wav files...

Many people burn audio files as a data disc. Many newer players will work just fine with a data disc, or an audio disc.

My home player, and my car player will play .wav, .mp3, .wma, and all kinds of stuff from a data disc. This is useful, because you can keep adding songs as needed. Where as an audio disc is closed, and cannot be added to, once burned.

Also...

An audio CD of .wma files, never sounds as good as an audio CD created from uncompressed .wav files.

Sounds like the problem is with the CD player in the vehicle. Why a new VW has a CD player that won't accept burned CD's is a mystery to me.

iTunes does a great job when it comes to burning CD's, although I have noticed that it has a difficult time recognizing a 700 MB vs. a 650 MB disc.

Good luck!

ATM

I tried CD-R instead of the CD-RW. Worked just fine in the car. Used iTunes, no problem. Now I just have to learn these songs...

I appreciate all of the help!!

Archived