Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone know some good exercises?

Tim C

I just got this CD from sweden, it has eight songs i'm supposed to learn on it. The music has a real disco feel to it. Being a man who detests disco but respects its difficult basslines (they require a lot of manual dexterity) i don't really have any learning material for disco. I was wondering if any of you know of some good exercises or patterns i could use to help me along. does anyone know of anywhere online that i could find something to help this problem?
hmmm...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well i think Chic is kind of disco so try getting some of Bernard Edwards bass lines down as he is a monster player. Sister Sledge - We are family is also a good one to practice. Of course you can't get more disco than disco inferno :D The disco octave feel Jeremy mentioned is represented well in Rose Royce - Car Wash.
Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

Disco Inferno has a great bass line!

And the bass almost never hits the downbeat...he's always half a beat ahead.

And the song goes for a long time.

I've played many a 15 minute version and sung backup while doing it.

Practicing that song will definitely get you up to speed on your disco playing.

Thanks for the help, guys. Those ideas should definitely help me out. I've got like 4 months to learn the songs, so it shouldn't be any problem. Maybe some of this disco influence will pour over into my normal rock/classic rock/blues repetoire it could make for some different sounding fills and runs. Thanks again.
hmmm...

Archived