Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass tuition material

loumalone

Hi

Can anyone recommend a tutor book for bass guitar that is dedicated to reading music and not tab or chords?

I am a sax player who got a bass guitar for christmas and i want to know on which frets all the notes are quickly without working them out through semitone/tone arithmetic.

I got through 'A Tune A Day 1' Double Bass (exactly what i needed musically although a little dull)but i want something a bit more advanced with lots of reading material/studies.

Is there anything out there like this for bass guitar? cause i need a bit of help with the physical differences too like proper fingering and plucking/damping stuff.

Cheers for any help!

It's not a sin to fall but it is a sin to lie there.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would seem reasonable that if you already understand music theory and can read music, that a few lessons by a professional teacher would be the way to go.

I am self taught, but I didn't have a clue when I started, therefore many of the books I purchased are very basic, although they did teach me proper technique.

"Some people are like "slinkies". They're not really good for anything;

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a

flight of stairs."

Actually you should figure out all the notes with "semitone/tone arithmetic".

Draw your own fingering chart.

Then get some song books, look at the chord names and find those notes on your bass.

I wish I could recommend a self-learning "learn to read" book. I've been teaching for most of my life and haven't found one to really recommend.

But it sounds like you can already read and just need bass clef practice.

Rather than A tune a day, there is the Simandl method book for string bass which will certainly take you through reading systematically.

The fingerings will work on electric but of course you can finger an electric in many different ways. There are all kinds of fingering and muting techniques. It's way easier to have someone show you than to try to figure that out from a book.

I would highly recommend The latest edition of books 1 thru 3 of the Hal Leonard Method written by Ed Friedland. They are available in a single volume spiral book with 3 CD's. My daughter, with a string bass background, worked thru much of this on her own. I'm bragging (she does have a good ear and is VERY bright graduated with the highest honors from the Honors College at the University Of South Carolina), but she worked her way through the book(s) with very little help from me. Ed wrote some cheesy but fun stuff to play along with. Plus you can start at the level of your expertise. I bought book 3 for myself to review & practice 16th note syncopation. With your background, I believe it would be a good DIY method. I would strongly recommend a few lessons from a pro instructor in order to establish some fingering and technique habits which would avoid injury. I wish you lived in the states because I could recommend going to Jeff Berlin's school OR (he doesn't know my rep but I know his from several sources) spending a month or so in the SF Bay area to study with Jeremy C. He IS a hell of a musician AND instructor!!

Well, since you play Sax already,...

Here is another book to take a look at, "The Bass Players Book" by Jeff Strover.

The beginning is a good reference to get you started then it goes into some music theory, chord progressions & structure, scales & modes and plenty of warmup exercises.

I like the warmup exercises myself. its a bit challenging at my level of play but I plug at it a little at a time.

Best part is,... NO FREAKING TAB! (so now I gotta learn to read music :) )

Thanks for the help Lads!

I've just ordered the Hal Leonard Book, sounds like exactly what i need.

Funny thing is i've seen abit of intruction material using tab and it looks just as complicated as learning to read music! Very strange! Why would you bother learning that way? and it doesn't seem to give any clue as to the rhythm to be played unless i'm missing something.

Anyway, Thankyou, Jaco Pastorius here i come!!

It's not a sin to fall but it is a sin to lie there.

Originally posted by loumalone:

Thanks for the help Lads!

I've just ordered the Hal Leonard Book, sounds like exactly what i need.

Funny thing is i've seen abit of intruction material using tab and it looks just as complicated as learning to read music! Very strange! Why would you bother learning that way? and it doesn't seem to give any clue as to the rhythm to be played unless i'm missing something.

Anyway, Thankyou, Jaco Pastorius here i come!!

no, your not missing anything.

Archived