Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Completely OT: Food

_Sweet Willie_

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll see your haggis and raise you a plate of lutefisk.

Doesn't sound any worse than what we do to a brisket to make corned beef.

Does corned beef smell like a skunk slaughterhouse built on top of an open cesspool? (I'm just kidding - skunk slaughterhouses built on top of open cesspools don't smell that bad.)

Lutefisk was actually used as a food challenge on Survivor.

Push the button Frank.

Lutefisk eaters thrive on quotes and jokes from skeptics of lutefisk comparing it to everything from rat poison (which has a hint of truth to it, because of the traces of nonstandard amino acid lysinoalanine found in lutefisk due to the reaction with lye) to weapons of mass destruction.

The Wisconsin Employees' right to know law, in defining "toxic substances", specifically exempts Lutefisk

And for those wanting to know what else lye is used for:

4 Uses

4.1 General applications

4.2 Paint stripper

4.3 Gold pennies experiment

4.4 Alumina production - Bayer process

4.5 Use in chemical analysis

4.6 Soap production

4.7 Paper making

4.8 Biodiesel

4.9 Aluminium etching

4.10 Food preparation

4.11 Domestic uses

4.12 Tissue digestion

4.13 Illegal drugs

4.14 Cleansing agent

4.15 Atmospheric CO2 "scrubber"

Lutefisk eaters thrive on quotes and jokes from skeptics of lutefisk comparing it to everything from rat poison (which has a hint of truth to it, because of the traces of nonstandard amino acid lysinoalanine found in lutefisk due to the reaction with lye) to weapons of mass destruction.

The Wisconsin Employees' right to know law, in defining "toxic substances", specifically exempts Lutefisk

And for those wanting to know what else lye is used for:

4 Uses

4.1 General applications

4.2 Paint stripper

4.3 Gold pennies experiment

4.4 Alumina production - Bayer process

4.5 Use in chemical analysis

4.6 Soap production

4.7 Paper making

4.8 Biodiesel

4.9 Aluminium etching

4.10 Food preparation

4.11 Domestic uses

4.12 Tissue digestion

4.13 Illegal drugs

4.14 Cleansing agent

4.15 Atmospheric CO2 "scrubber"

Are you aware that corned beef is cured in Saltpeter?

Are you also aware that Saltpeter is one half of the recipe for gunpowder? ;)

I'll see your haggis and raise you a plate of lutefisk.

Doesn't sound any worse than what we do to a brisket to make corned beef.

Does corned beef smell like a skunk slaughterhouse built on top of an open cesspool? (I'm just kidding - skunk slaughterhouses built on top of open cesspools don't smell that bad.)

Lutefisk was actually used as a food challenge on Survivor.

From what I read in that article, properly prepared Lutefisk made from haddock or pollock actually doesn't have that characteristic Cod stink.

Cod is smelly by itself. Not surprised lye amplifies it.. :D

Are you also aware that Saltpeter is one half of the recipe for gunpowder? ;)

...and fertiliser, and fireworks, and tree stump remover, and ice cream, and toothpaste.

I still think lye's uses are more entertaining. :)

Back on more pleasant food topics....

Monday night I splurged big time and bought a couple of USDA Prime Filet Mignons and made Steak au Poivre with cognac cream. OMG I never knew there was a substance that could actually make a perfect steak taste better.

I could feel my arteries clogging, and I didn't care. :D

There is a sandwich shop near my house called Cherry Valley that has the most amazing food you can get at 4am. My favorite hero is called the Fat Cat:

-3 Burgers

-American Cheese

-Bacon

-Lettuce

-Tomato

-Pickle

-Onion rings

-French Fries

-Ketchup

-Mayo

-Garlic bread hero

This thing is massive; could feed a small country for $8.

I remember those days. Now one big burger leaves me with a hangover the next day.

I have been enjoying me some Chipotle food lately. The chips and guac are good enough to keep me coming back (though it makes me want fresh-made restaurant guacamole).

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I have been enjoying me some Chipotle food lately. The chips and guac are good enough to keep me coming back (though it makes me want fresh-made restaurant guacamole).

Oh man...this made me think of Anna's Taqueria. A small chain in the Boston area (6 locations). I don't think they make their guac there but it's quite tastey. One of those crazy places that's still cash only for some reason. They'd do SO MUCH more business if they took cards...it's one of the reasons I don't eat there more regularly (I hardly ever cary cash so I have to plan on going). A must-try next time you and the youngin are looking for something to do in the area (I'm sure she's been there).

I'm actually surprised to report that there IS a pretty good Mexican joint right north of me in Madison Heights called La Carreta - Portions are stout, food is fresh, service is QUICK (10 minutes from order to serve, even on busy nights), and most nights the staff is friendly (except Friday, when they get their asses kicked, they can be a bit testy) and the prices are CHEAP.

So you just bury it in lingenberries?

Nice how my oatmeal post was quickly ignored.

Tom

Oatmeal was raised much earlier in this thread. I believe Phil W and I had a brief exchange about Irish steel cut oatmeal and maple syrup. You're just late to the party.

I would like to say that I again recently enjoyed one of the homebrewed beers created by getz76 -- the India Pale Ale. It really is quite nice.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I would like to say that I again recently enjoyed one of the homebrewed beers created by getz76 -- the India Pale Ale. It really is quite nice.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing if there aren't samples sent to me. :)

• 5 months later...

Another thread back from the dead....

Tonight was "Make Lots Of Pesto" night. It freezes well, and we eat it throughout the year. This year the Basil Forest got off to a slow start, but finished strong. Much (and I do mean MUCH!) less insect damage to the leaves this year, so picking the stems clean was easy. I'm sure that Alton Brown will be disappointed with me, but I bought the jar of crushed garlic instead of spending the time use fresh. C'mon...it's all going into the freezer anyway.... Anyway, I made four blenders worth, or about 16 or 17 meals worth. Kitchen was clean in under two hours. That's good eats.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Karon makes a 'white chili' which has become a favorite around here, but tonight we had sub sandwiches (grinders) for dinner. They're cooked and we had the vegetarian sub with bacon. Is that an oxymoron or what?

My favorite foods for summer though are fresh tomato, sweet corn and melons. Mmm, mmmm.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Necrobumping for the win! :D

Man, I'd kill for some fresh basil. I try to plant it every year, but every year the infernal kudzu chokes it out. :mad:

I always laugh when I remember Jeff Foxworthy,'s joke...

"If You've ever lost a relative to kudzu, you might be a redneck..."

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Man, I'd kill for some fresh basil. I try to plant it every year, but every year the infernal kudzu chokes it out. :mad:

We have Basil growing in a large pot by our back door on the patio. It supplies us with more than we can use.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

fresh tomato,

Oh,baby. Our tomato plants got some sort of blight and had to all be pulled out and disposed of. Very, very sad.....

Doh! Nothing worse than pulled tomatoes. :grin:

We used to have a problem with tomato horn worms for a few years but haven't had any this year (finding some wood to knock on).

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Necrobumping for the win! :D

I always laugh when I remember Jeff Foxworthy,'s joke...

"If You've ever lost a relative to kudzu, you might be a redneck..."

That's no joke. :(

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

• 1 month later...

I'm just finishing up making gumbo. I've saved shrimp shells for the past 8 months or more, so the stock is very rich. Alas, the shrimp we get here on the inland doesn't have their heads anymore.

If you where here, I'd share.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Archived