Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Completely OT: Food

_Sweet Willie_

I made the most incredible chicken gravy today.

Details: Usually the gravy is a hurried thing since it happens right during crunch time for dinner. However, last week I broiled a chicken that I had brined, and saved the juices; so I had time to do the gravy right. Do brine your poultry; it's time well spent. There was a whole lot more drippings than compared to a non-brined bird, and I was easily able to scoop out the excess fat since it was refrigerated. I added a little of some Thai broth from Wegmans, a little Reisling, and some corn starch. salt, pepper, and a little ground up dried rosemary. Just right. My wife hates gravy, but she liked this gravy.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loves me some gravy Pablo!

I almost have my moms recipe for sausage gravy down.

Brown one pound of ground pork sausage (spicy?) and drain

Add 1/2 pound unsweetened butter and simmer for 15 minutes

Add one can condensed milk and one cup water

Add 3 tablespoons flour - simmer for 10 minutes

Make appointment to have cholesterol checked

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

• 4 weeks later...

Food? How about beverage?

Tonight I'm enjoying a mug full o' Hoboken's finest. Yes, getz76 has been brewing beer. I've gotta say that the two versions I've tried thus far have been off the chain tasty. Tonight I'm having his IPA. The hefeweizen I had the other night with a slice of orange in it was excellent. The man has a palate. Indeed. At least as far as hops, barley, etc. is concerned.

Props to him who hath earned them.

Peace.

--s-uu

PS: Yes, I still have a few bottles of each chillin in the fridge. Word.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Ahhhh...there's a really big sports bar/grill/restaurant/pool hall over by Boston/TD Banknorth Garden (where the Celtics and Bruins (who are they?) play) that has a micro brew and is wonderfully quiet on non-game days. They sell nothing but their own brews and their selection is pretty impressive. One of their reds is on my short list right now.

My little bro also turned me on to Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA when he was visiting a few weeks ago. Mucho yum-o.

Maury, have you worked out how to smuggle your moonshine across state lines yet? *waits expectantly*

I don't remember if this was touched upon in this thread (and too lazy at the moment to check). I like hot cereal.

When my wife went to the store to replenish recently, she got some store-brand natural steel cut (Irish) oatmeal. It takes longer to make - you can microwave Quaker rolled stuff in a few minutes, but this takes 30 minutes. You also make more of this stuff.

It's pretty good. I've made it a few times, and today reheated some from last week. I've used various combinations of add-ins, including brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, dried cranberries, dried blueberries, and honey. Today was dried blueberries.

Quite tasty. And filling.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Food? How about beverage?

Tonight I'm enjoying a mug full o' Hoboken's finest. Yes, getz76 has been brewing beer. I've gotta say that the two versions I've tried thus far have been off the chain tasty. Tonight I'm having his IPA. The hefeweizen I had the other night with a slice of orange in it was excellent. The man has a palate. Indeed. At least as far as hops, barley, etc. is concerned.

Props to him who hath earned them.

Peace.

--s-uu

PS: Yes, I still have a few bottles of each chillin in the fridge. Word.

So, um, Getz, I hear you make a mean orange soda... do you ship to Oklahoma?

- Matt W.

As much as it flies in the face of all that this thread stand for...I've really been enjoying Smart Ones (yes, the ones made by Weight Watchers) for my lunches at work. Some of them are quite tastey and they're usually on sale for 4 for $10.

Santa Fe Style Rice & Beans today.

Also, anybody else ever had the Swedish Meatballs at Ikea? I buy that more frequently than anything else there.

Mmmmmmmmmm... beer...

I just had a heaping helping of pho bo tai from Than Brothers. With lots of Sriracha sauce. It was the bomb-diggity, yo.

Sriracha = wussy chili sauce.

Nam Prik Pow = serious chili sauce.

I need to get me some of that.

I keep my pantry well stocked with everything from Nam Prik Pow to fresh tamarinds to real-deal Ginisang Bagoong (sauteed shrimp paste in cooconut oil). Come down to the Burg sometime and I'll fix you up my personalized version of Pad Thai that'll ruin you to the restaurants... ;)

Also, anybody else ever had the Swedish Meatballs at Ikea? I buy that more frequently than anything else there.

My parents are Swedish immigrants. IKEA meatballs are the equivalent of Olive Garden lasagna. You have to try my Mom's köttbulle.

Push the button Frank.

My parents are Swedish immigrants. IKEA meatballs are the equivalent of Olive Garden lasagna. You have to try my Mom's köttbulle.

No doubt! I love it because it's better than any alternative I have. I haven't found too many Swedish restaurants or Swedish immigrants willing to cook for me near by. :)

On a side note, I just read in the Boston Metro this morning that Sam Adams is putting out an "Imperial" line of beers with about twice the alcohol content and bolder flavors. Beers for flavor rather than refreshment, according to the article. Only sold in single bottles. According to Jim Koch, a 4 pack would be enough to compliment two meals for a couple. Double Bock, Imperial White and Imperial Stout. Looking forward to trying them.

According to the website it's now included in this new line and will be available year round.

I thought it was kind of weird as I seem to remember trying the Double Bock some time ago at a friend's house. I'm really looking forward to the other two though.

I've enjoyed Sam Adam's Double Bock over the years; and a couple of months ago picked up their Brown Ale- also pretty tastey. I still have a bottle of Sam's TRIPLE Bock that they put out as a limited issue... well, before I got married, so it's at least 13 years old. It's supposed to age well. For the last year or so, I've been telling one of my friends that we need to get together and drink this (as we had sampled several bottles together when it first came out) but it just hasn't happened yet. If nothign else, it's in a pretty blue bottle!

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I've enjoyed Sam Adam's Double Bock over the years; and a couple of months ago picked up their Brown Ale- also pretty tastey. I still have a bottle of Sam's TRIPLE Bock that they put out as a limited issue... well, before I got married, so it's at least 13 years old. It's supposed to age well. For the last year or so, I've been telling one of my friends that we need to get together and drink this (as we had sampled several bottles together when it first came out) but it just hasn't happened yet. If nothign else, it's in a pretty blue bottle!

I've had the Triple once in my life. It was awesome. I'd love to get my hands on a case of that (not for all at once...)

... I haven't found too many Swedish restaurants ...

There's a reason for that. With the exception of one or two dishes, Swedish cuisine is right up there with British. :sick:

Push the button Frank.

You may want to try Mackeson's Stout. Oh so tasty!

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

You have no idea. My parents and grandparents would cook that stuff up at Christmas. Us kids would be badgered into trying "yust a little". As I read somewhere, eating lutefisk is like throwing up. A little is just as bad as a lot.

Lutefisk: The piece of cod which passes all understanding.

Push the button Frank.

Archived