Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fitting chords to a bass line...suggestions?

Gruuve

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by jeremy c:

However, on a funk record, nobody would be holding down chords like that....they would be playing a part....which takes us back to the idea of counterpoint.

True. My understanding was that Dave's midi example with chords was just to figure out what chords might work behind his bass line, not like he was planning to just hold them like that in the final incarnation. Right, Dave?
All your bass are belong to us!

Originally posted by groovyjazzyfunky:

Sure, you could do what Jeremy was saying and write the chords first then come up with a cool bass part to fit them, but why should you have to? IMHO, bass doesn't always have to be relegated to "the supporting role."

Writing the bass line last and bass being relegated to "the supporting role" are two completely different things. Although I'm a great believer in writing from lots of different starting points, I have always found that I can come up with great bass lines whether it's at the start of the end of the songwriting process. And I'm sure my fellow bassists would agree - we're bassists, so creatings bass lines is what we find easiest.

My most common process is chordal/'guitar' (played in the bass's upper register) part first, then bass line (to complete the structure, groove and harmony) and then the vocal. And the bass is rarely merely supporting, though it never fails to support.

Originally posted by jeremy c:

However, on a funk record, nobody would be holding down chords like that....they would be playing a part....which takes us back to the idea of counterpoint.

This ain't no funk record anymore! I'm with you on the counterpoint - music can sound a lot more cool if it's not so blatantly stated, from Bach to Bootsy...

Alex

Originally posted by C.Alexander Claber:

Writing the bass line last and bass being relegated to "the supporting role" are two completely different things.

Yeah, I don't know why I wrote that... not really what I meant. I guess what I was trying to get at was the difference between a song like RHCP's "Sir Psycho Sexy" (which is difficult to imagine existing without that specific bass line) and pretty much any T.O.P. song (always amazing bass parts, but rarely as prominent and memorable as the one from "Sir Psycho Sexy"). In general, although I love them both equally, I'd say Rocco Prestia tends to play much more of a "supporting role" than Flea does.

BTW, yes counterpoint would probably be the funkier way to go, but is Dave actually going for a straight-up funk tune here? 'Cause I don't really get that vibe...

All your bass are belong to us!

My understanding was that Dave's midi example with chords was just to figure out what chords might work behind his bass line, not like he was planning to just hold them like that in the final incarnation. Right, Dave?
That's correct.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by C.Alexander Claber:

Quite a lot of melodic possibilities over them though there is a whiff of cheese... ;)

Flattery will get you nowhere, Alex. :P

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived