Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Speaking of Praise and Worship

-Will-

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know most of the groups listed here. I've tried Third Day, and will do so again, but it didn't hit me.

Why has no one mentioned Jars Of Clay? I have some of their stuff and like it alot. What am I missing?

I don't own much of any Christian music. There are a number of more "Catholic" people/groups out there that write music we use at Mass. I need to get going on some of that stuff as well. If you come across an album called "Earthen Vessels" by the St. Louis Jesuits, give it a spin. And Michael Joncas....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Tom- Michael Joncas? ST L J? Showing a bit of your age there, eh? But yeah, I've played a lot of that stuff over the years, too!

Jars of Clay are great; I don't usually put them in the Praise & Worship category though. Their last album could be closer to it; reworked hymns in a "modern" context, though some of them aren't that modern sounding to me, accompaniment-wise. "Nothing But The Blood", with the Blind Boys of Alabama, is old-fashioned southern gospel, but is a cool tune.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

"Nothing But The Blood", with the Blind Boys of Alabama,
Didn't Ben Harper do a project with the Blind Boys of Alabama? I like Ben so I bet that would be pretty good.
Music has no boundaries. It is yours to discover, to enjoy, to draw from and to pass on to others.

Originally posted by Danzilla:

Tom- Michael Joncas? ST L J? Showing a bit of your age there, eh?

It shows - what can I do? Especially since St. L J "broke up" as far as I know. It's the sweet potato thing (Popeye - I yam what I yam).

There was a recent survey of Catholics about music. Joncas "On Eagles Wings" came out as most popular.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

There was a recent survey of Catholics about music. Joncas "On Eagles Wings" came out as most popular.
How's John Michael Talbot fairing these days? I see his latest album is Monk Rock... now that's my kind of Franciscan!
- Matt W.

• 2 weeks later...

One of these days I need to go a Christian store with a listening station, since I can't afford the time and money to buy a bunch of CDs on spec!

It's funny, I've played in Christian bands for years, and usually have no idea who originally wrote or performed the tunes we do! Which doesn't stop from playing them, of course, and no one complains.

I just wish Christian bands were more CREATIVE! It's probably because in some circles they just want to hear the same ol', same ol'... thinking that's the only godly way to do it.

Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

One of these days I need to go a Christian store with a listening station, since I can't afford the time and money to buy a bunch of CDs on spec!

It's funny, I've played in Christian bands for years, and usually have no idea who originally wrote or performed the tunes we do! Which doesn't stop from playing them, of course, and no one complains.

I just wish Christian bands were more CREATIVE! It's probably because in some circles they just want to hear the same ol', same ol'... thinking that's the only godly way to do it.

Have you heard any of the Hillsong United stuff? It's about as creative as it gets my friend. And the bass lines are very well thought out and featured! No hiding the bass lines behind eveything else...

Love God...Love People!

Archived