Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Speaking of Praise and Worship

-Will-

I am trying to get into the whole Praise and Worship/ Contemporary Christian music genre. I like a lot of people here play for my local church, however, my church tends to stay closer to a traditional style of worship and play very little of what I would call Contemporary Christian music. I have tried to listen to some on the local Christian station but quickly flip back over to my favorite classic rock station as I am unable to listen for long. Don't get me wrong, I love the message but the music mostly sounds like 2nd hand Pop music to me. So sort of along Dave's post about Worship songs with funk bass lines, could you guys point me in the direction of some Christian artists whose music features some strong musicality and some good solid rock bass lines? I would appreciate it. Also, does anybody have a list of standard Praise and Worship songs that are essential to know to play in a Praise and Worship band?
Music has no boundaries. It is yours to discover, to enjoy, to draw from and to pass on to others.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rock:

Hillsong

Among Thorns

Reggae:

Christafari

Celtic/Jewish/Similar

Paul Wilbur

Russ Rosen

Robin Mark

Expressive/Prophetic

Kevin Prosch

Jason Upton

As just some examples...

For popular songs, check out stuff by Brian Doerkson, Vineyard, Darrel Evans, etc.

Good luck!

Try Jami Smith, Lincoln Brewster, PlanetShakers, Casting Crowns, Passion Worship Band, 7:22, Jeremy Camp. I get a little bored with Chris Tomlin and Matt Redmon...too many of their songs sound the same to me, but there are a few good rock basslines in some of those.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Will-Bass, ask your pastor if there is a place near you for teen programs that feature contemporary Christian. At least, that's the case by me; my church doesn't play it, but there is a notice posted for teen programs near by.

Or, look around (internet probably works) to see if there are any worship services nearby. The best way to see if you like it is to visit. (There's a huge one in Atlanta, if you don't mind worshipping with 1,000 others at the same time, in 3 adjacent halls each with their own band.)

You can try going to Borders or some other store with a large selection of CDs that allow you to pre-listen to at least selected titles. The Borders by me has a decent Christian section. (Or, I guess my old age is showing, google for it or search the online distributors.)

The compilation CDs are usually pretty good and will have a number of tunes played in a worship setting. "Come, Now Is the Time to Worship" by Brian Doerksen, for example. Not exactly the style you're looking for, but they do grow on you after a while. You also get a taste of a bunch of groups. (You can typically get a double CD for a reasonable price and have 20 songs to go over.)

Third Day is considered rock, but I find them a bit heavier than your typical classic rock. I have some Newsboys (more pop) and DC Talk (more urban). (DC Talk does a pretty good remake of "Lean On Me", but "Jesus Freak" is probably the one you want to listen to to decide if you want to hear more.) [Oh, these are probably not played in a worship setting.]

Check out some Parachute Band; Ken Kimi plays some nice lines, and they stradle pop, rock, r&b and gospel genres.

Lincoln Brewster is a good recommendation (as are most of the above)

Petra had a few praise discs, Petra Praise: The Rock Cries Out and Petra Praise 2; and a more recent one called Revival.

The "City On A Hill" series contains some familiar tunes, and interesting combinations of artists.

Caedmon's Call's "In The Company of Angels" (and the soon-to-be-released vol2) is a favorite of mine, especially the Derek Webb & Kemper Krabbe songs.

Acquire The Fire has some good disks of music from their revival conferences.

And I've been told that if you don't know "Lord I Lift Your Name On High" and "Shout To The Lord" then you should go home...

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

If you want something that sticks a toe into the metal pool, try Discpile. Pillar, GS Megaphone, Blindside, Underoath, The War Romance ;) , and everything else that's been mentioned. Less rock and more progressive eclectic quirkiness is Anathallo (I love them). Not all of these are what I'd consider highly skilled musicians making musical statements that haven't been made before but they are fun and some of the cds have real gems on them.

I've got entire libraries of cds to list. Be more specific about the style you want.

I like Israel Houghton And New Breed. It's all P & W stuff, but has a little more edge than some of the oatmeal I hear on the local Christian radio station. I also like Ashley Cleveland, but she isn't really worship music. Highly recommend her "You Are There" album, which is out of print but available at www.ashleycleveland.com

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Thanks for the replies. I spent the day yesterday listening to Pillar, Casting Crown and Third Day. I actually liked them all, but I liked Third Day the best. Are there any artists out there that are comparable to Jet from a sound perspective?
Music has no boundaries. It is yours to discover, to enjoy, to draw from and to pass on to others.

Some Audio Adrenaline could be close to Jet; maybe some Rock N Roll Worship Circus (now called The Listening, I think); The Elms have some of those elements with some more Brit pop & garage flavors. Stereomotion broke up, so you probably can't find their one cd anymore... maybe even try Sanctus Real?

NEW band Old band

I'd like to try a Hillsong CD, can anyone recommend one of their better ones? Not to say that they have any bad ones.

Originally posted by carpedebass:

Danzilla, Is Marillion a Christian group? I've never heard of them.

How can a band be around for 25 years, and you've never heard of them? They even had a top 10 hit in 2004 (You're Gone)! Ok, it was in Europe...

Can't blame you- they don't get any airplay over hear aside from the odd free-form station or such.

Anyway, not a Christian band. But several songs are quite spiritual, certainly have Christian elements & references in them; so close... then they do a song like "When I Meet God"... not a bad or maybe even wrong song, per se, but certainly out of the pale of orthodoxy; or something with the odd drug/drinking reference. Still, a great band; Pete's a great bassist- the riff/grove on "Quartz" is worth the price of admission alone. Whole band has a certain synergy (to me).

Good tracks with a spiritual side?

"Made Again" (Brave)

"Beautiful" (Afraid of Sunlight)

"Sympathy" (Six of One, Half Dozen of the Other)

"Neverland" (Marbles)

"A Few Words For The Dead" (Radiation)

"King Of Sunset Town" and "Easter" (Season's End)

I could go on... But if you want to get into them, I'd suggest starting with the Marbles album; and for their "classic" stuff, Clutching At Straws or Seasons End. Into Epics? Then try Brave, or the TransAtlantic projects (Pete Trewavas played bass on them, too)

End of plug. For now.

NEW band Old band

Originally posted by Drewfus:

I would also suggest Todd Agnew and Kutlass.

In 2004, I went to Nashville for the GMA convention. I saw Todd Agnew at several events. He's the real deal. After one speaker, he was set to play; and took a couple minutes just to contemplate what the guy was speaking about. Then he said, "I know they want me to play my single, "Grace Like Rain", but I really feel that this song is more important right now." and he played a new song that wasn't even on his album. And it hit home. He's not just another guy jumping on the CCM bandwagon.

NEW band Old band

In case no one else has mentioned, I suggest David Crowder Band.

They use some loops and other techno type sounds, but they are very talented musicians. I especially like how they take old hymns and change the melody.

ex: Heaven Came Down (on the Illuminate CD)

• There is a difference between Belief and Truth.
  • Constantly searching for Truth makes your Beliefs seem believable.

Originally posted by wade_g:

In case no one else has mentioned, I suggest David Crowder Band.

They use some loops and other techno type sounds, but they are very talented musicians. I especially like how they take old hymns and change the melody.

ex: Heaven Came Down (on the Illuminate CD)

I'm going to see them with Third Day this coming Sunday.

Love God...Love People!

Hillsongs - one of the best praise and worship teams IMO, they really set themselves apart through their production, musical quality, and they can pack a room like none other. Unified Praise DVD with Delirious is very very good, I also recently got

good bass lines in Salvation is Here, All Day

Planetshakers - They have videos on their website, they really rock out, they tend to sing in vocal ranges that aren't good for me though

Passion Band - awesome for worship

Jeremy Camp

Switchfoot -

David Crowder Band -

Third Day -

Chris Tomlin -

Michael W. Smith

Salvador - their bass player is very very good, listen to their live CD's, better yet go see them live, they do a great concert

Sonicflood, Newsboys

I would say if you are playing songs from this list of bands you are well represented in the contemporary Christian music genre

I got to witness David Crowder running for a reception in a grassy field as (I believe it was) one of the tour managers passed the football and David completely missed and ran face first into a a big oak tree...right before playing the Passion Tour. He (as well as the rest of us there) thought it was the funniest thing in the world. His manager waited until he was sure David was ok before laughing.

I've heard great things about Todd Agnew but his voice annoys me and his music "sounds like 2nd hand Pop music to me." I can't say it's like all the rest though. It's definitely different from most other stuff on Christian radio.

Just bought the Hillsong United, "Look to You" cd, I really like it, I'll have to buy there new cd when it's released.

Does anyone here listen to Delirious? Are they around the same lines as Hillsong United? Can you recommend one of their CDs?

There was another group from a couple of years ago who didn't get much airplay, but had some kickin' music - they were called Daily Planet. I think the CD might still be available. Saw their showcase at the '04 GMAs and was highly impressed with their musicianship.

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

Archived