Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vic Wooten clinic 2/24 in Utah.

ClarkW

A tip from a friend and a few phone calls have confirmed that Victor Wooten will be conducting a 2-hour clinic at the Crescent School of Music's American Fork campus (350 E. State Road in AF) on Friday, February 24, 2006, from 4pm to 6pm. It's open to the public, tickets are $5, and from what I last heard, you can maybe call the school and have the tickets put on reserve, or get them at the door.

For more information, you can call them yourself. I do not warranty the validity or accuracy of anything I've said here. I'm just crossing my fingers that I can get out of work in time for this. And I'm excited because my wife will soon witness in person why I talk about this guy like once a week, lol.

http://www.themusicschool.us/contact.asp

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two things to remember:

1. He is truly one of the most generous, relatively modest, kindest guys in the world. As talented as he is on bass, I really think the guy needs to be doing inservices on how people should get along with each other, instead.

I met him twice after shows; he was always willing to talk at length and with this wonderful world view... it wasn't -- 'here's your autograph... next!' As amazing a bass player as he is, he's 10x that as a human being.

2. There are bass players that you can listen to and want to jam on your bass all night long til your fingers bleed. There are others that once you see what they do, you're just like 'what's the use' as you start throwing eBay specs in the old noggin.

For me, Jaco fits in the former category. Mr. Victor Lamonte, firmly in the latter.

"Women and rhythm section first" -- JFP

No need for your bass and amp.

It's kind of like watching a concert, but with lots more talking on his part and lots of question-and-answer. Normally he will play things to highlight certain parts of the instruction he's giving. It's kind of like going to a master class.

Thank you very much sir, this is invaluable to me ClarkW. Do you have any recommendations about any bass instructors? I have been playing for 5 years in church averaging 3x a week and i dont read music. Im 30 years old and i dont know how i can maximize my passion for the bass with my old age of starting to play. I do practice quite a lot with christian music and i am pretty much versed on them. i want to master finger style before anything else. My real problem is that there seem to be no one in my church even with 4 other bassist that knows anythng about this sort of stuff. thanks

tinymay

i just want my bass, more bass, and of course, wife.

I just came from the bass clinic and it was truly enlightening. I found the answers that i was looking for. For instance, Mr. Wooten told us his primary concerns while playing music and how to really lock in as a groove player and not a note player. Thanks Clarkw. Did you know by any chance a Steave Meadows that teaches in this music school?

tinymay

i just want my bass, more bass, and of course, wife.

I'm afraid I'm not acquainted with Mr. Meadows.

The Wooten clinic was great. He played a little less than the last time I saw him, though he did jam with two of the school's bass teachers, and he brought up two of the school's students at random and had them play a bit.

Archived