Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Worship band: how much showmanship is appropriate?

Gruuve

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm...carpedebass actually made a good point here. If having a live band worship band is distracting from the purpose of worship, why would the church have a live worship band in the first place? In general, most people's attention is focused on the stage...there's simply something fascinating about watching other people play musical instruments, especially if they do it well. But, if people are singing along, dancing, essentially making a joyful noise...isn't that what worship music is about?

Btw, isn't playing an instrument in church an act of worship in and of itself, assuming your heart is in the right place?

Personally, I find it incredibly difficult to sit through a traditional service, with some older fellow leading worship by singing in an out of tune operatic voice while an organist plays...that to me is not only very distracting...it's absolutely painful to listen to! That doesn't inspire me to worship anymore than someone scraping fingernails down a chalk board. In a nutshell, I know that our church's worship services are targeted at people just like me in that regard.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I absolutely agree with you, Dave. I can't stand traditional worship services myself.

You guys are generalizing a bit too much in this case, though. Traditional services have their place. Obviously a live band is not a distraction in this case because it is what people expect when they come to your church. If they are distracted by a live band, they don't come back and they go to a more traditional, chalk board-scraping service the next week.

In your case, Dave, the old guy is used to a live band leading him and apparently he likes coming back week after week but the "showmanship" is a distraction to him.

*Side note: playing an instrument in church or out should be an act of worship for any Christian.*

You might try talking to the old guy and saying "If it's genuinely a distraction to you and you are unable to worship if I do things like that, I'll stop. But do the people dancing in the aisles distract you too?..."

If you can find a way to get through to him and help him to see things from your point of view, awesome! Let the Spirit move you. But if he can not bring himself to worship due to a silly thing like stick twirling, do you really want to be responsible for impeding his worship experience? It would be different if you weren't conscious of the fact that it distracted him but now it might weigh on your conscience.

We are there to play for an audience of One. That audience is God.

I think some people look at it as though God is leading the worship team for the benefit of the congregation (audience).

We should see it for what it really is. The praise team is leading the congregation in worship of God. He is the audience. The complainers are usually the ones who don't see that.

When we leave church on Sunday morning and go into the world for the rest of the week we try to continue to be good Christians for God, not for the benefit of the world or for another Christian who may happen to see us.

So if we are leading worship in church and someone tells us not to act a certain way, they are really saying "You should be more like me. Worship the way I think you should".

At times our team will play a performance song. We don't post words on the screen for these songs, so people don't sing along with them. But they are played because the song fits the pastor's message that day. Is this showboating? I don't think so, but someone may say it is. If I raise my hands or fall to my knees, is that showing off? No. Remember David? He didn't care what anyone but God thought about the way he worshipped.

In our church, the elders decided a long time ago to have contemporary services in order to reach the younger crowd. It is said that the chances are much better that a person will turn to God before age 25 or so, and that is our direction. So what's better, to appease someone who is already a Christian, or attract someone who has not yet found Jesus?

We used to have three contemporary services on Sundays. We started having all hymns in the first service to appease the older ones. People still complained, because they had to change when they went to Sunday school classes in order to go to the early hymn service.

If the goal of the church is to grow, then we can't stop trying to attract the young in order to please the old. Contemporary Christian music is here to stay for awhile and is directed at the young. But not all of the older folks are complainers. Many see the vision of our church as being the same vision of Christ.

It only takes a few complainers to upset the whole apple cart.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

jlrush, you are partially correct.

We worship and, as musicians, play to an audience of one. But when you become a WORSHIP LEADER you are taking on the dual task of worshiping God and leading the congregation in worship. If something you are doing is impeding their worship, you are not fully accomplishing your job.

You could say that a pastor is accountable only to God just as you say that we play only to God. That's missing the point of the position. A pastor is taking on the dual role of being a Christian and leading/teaching the other Christians. If the pastor says "Well, I'm studying the Bible and preaching every Sunday and if you're not getting anything out of it, it's your problem," he is inadequately filling his position. Pastors have to make changes to the way they do things to reach their congregation and DO THEIR JOB just as worship leaders have to make adjustments to lead people in worship because if the people they're leading can't worship, they're inadequately filling their position.

Originally posted by: jlrush

The praise team is leading the congregation in worship of God. He is the audience. The complainers are usually the ones who don't see that.

What you're not seeing is that the complainers want to worship just as much as you do but you've become so caught up in wanting to do things the new way that you are making it difficult for others to worship. If I'm sitting in my livingroom reading the Bible and my roomate comes in and cranks up some Christian rock music and turns on the TV to CTN and goes on the computer to IM his friends and read his online devotional, I'd be distracted and a bit annoyed if I asked him to keep it down and he responded that it's his devotional time too and if I can't concentrate I should get with the times and use the computer and multitask. That would make him a jerk and it would make me want to punch him. Fortunately that's not the case and he would be considerate enough to turn the music and TV off or down and do his thing so I could do mine.

When we leave church on Sunday morning and go into the world for the rest of the week we try to continue to be good Christians for God, not for the benefit of the world or for another Christian who may happen to see us.

This is where you're straight-up wrong. As Christians, it is part of our belief structure that we have a few tasks to perform while we're still alive. Those include worshiping God, leading a life that honors him and reaching the lost.

So if we are leading worship in church and someone tells us not to act a certain way, they are really saying "You should be more like me. Worship the way I think you should".

Also completely wrong. We are also told in scripture to hold eachother accountable. If you are acting in a way that I don't think honors God (which I don't think is the case with Dave), I should talk to you about it. Christianity is not about leaving everyone to their own devices.

Remember David? He didn't care what anyone but God thought about the way he worshipped.

Yes, I remember David. I also remember that he wasn't charged with the task of leading congregational worship. He was worshiping on his own time and what you do there is entirely between you and God.

So what's better, to appease someone who is already a Christian, or attract someone who has not yet found Jesus?

That's a harsh, overly-simplified question lacking many options.

If the goal of the church is to grow, then we can't stop trying to attract the young in order to please the old. Contemporary Christian music is here to stay for awhile and is directed at the young. But not all of the older folks are complainers.

Did I say anything to the contrary?

It only takes a few complainers to upset the whole apple cart.

I think the biggest porblem here stems from an "us vs. them" mindset. It shouldn't be "us" the movers and shakers, the ones that want to do good things and attract the younger crowd...and "them" the few old people that spoil everything. They are just as much a part of God's family as you or I. They deserve the same consideration that you give the new kids. No more, no less.

**MY POINT**

If there are those in your congregation that are unable to worship, as worship leaders, it is our (well, your for the time being since I'm not currently playing at a church) responsibility and our job to do what is necessary to remedy whatever problems are brought to our attention to the best of our ability whether it means not twirling sticks or taking an old guy out to lunch to try and explain your way of thinking to him.

Christ's Church (on Earth) has always been a living and breathing entity, made up of those who believe. It evolves ;) . The primary purpose remains the same, but the methods change. Even the most rigid and conservative of the Christian denominations, change over time.

40 years ago, all Catholic masses were said or sung in Latin. Not a single word of English or any other language could be heard. It had been that way for just short of 2,000 years. in the 1960's all the bishops got together and had a meeting. For about three years. When it was over, many changes were implemented. Quite a few of them involved evangelization, or how to spread Christ's Word. They all decided that the mass would probably be much better understood if it was spoken in a language that the worshipers could understand. God understands Latin; God understands English, french, Arabic, and Swahili too. And God understands why Dave twirled his sticks. I have to believe that he also appreciates the enthusiasm.

Many, many people were upset by the changes implemented by the Catholic Church. They got over it. They still to this day feel nostalgic for the Latin Mass. Sometimes during the Eucharistic prayer, my priest will switch over to Latin. It's his prerogative. you should see the faces of the older members of the congregation light up, hearing the old rite.

But their faith did not diminish by hearing it in english.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Originally posted by davio:

**MY POINT**

If there are those in your congregation that are unable to worship, as worship leaders, it is our (well, your for the time being since I'm not currently playing at a church) responsibility and our job to do what is necessary to remedy whatever problems are brought to our attention to the best of our ability whether it means not twirling sticks or taking an old guy out to lunch to try and explain your way of thinking to him.

You're right to a degree, but the underlying problem with that logic is that no matter you do, someone isn't going to like it.

You could stand on the corner of Main Street handing out hundred-dollar bills -- someone would complain.

Alot of this is subjective and a question of degree, but we can't simply assume that every complaint is a valid complaint -- otherwise we'd end up sitting in silence for an hour every Sunday morning. And someone would complain about that too.

If a straight-line traditional church guy regularly attends a church that worships in a comtemporary fashion, I think it's kind of inappropriate for him to complain about the style of worship. I don't think it's the worship band's fault that he "can't worship" in that environment. He's making a poor choice and has to be responsible for it.'

At the same time, we do have to listen to questions and concerns that are raised, and then evaluate them for validity -- not simply react to them automatically.

As for the band, it's a matter of good judgment, common sense, common courtesy, and doing what's appropriate for the congregation and the style of worship the church has chosen.

A good place for any of us to start is "I'm going to do my best today," not "I want to look really cool." If you're head and heart are in the right place, everything else will fall into line.

So I play my best every service I play, and try to sound and appear in a manner that will help people worship.

But I won't be doing any leaps off the drum riser any time soon -- I'd probably fall and break a hip anyway.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Well.

I have argued here on these pages that I don't like practiced stage moves (or showboating) in any music performance. If the movement comes natural as a part of the musical performance, I appreciate it. I think the sound Pete Townshend got from his windmill couldn't have been achieved without that circular upstroke.

In church, I feel exactly the same way. This is also important because of the words of scripture about eating meat in the church that came from animals sacrificed to idols. (I Corinthians 8) Paul makes the argument that such food doesn't violate God's law, but if it causes others to stumble (through anger or personal weakness) we should not eat it. Here\'s a link discussing the concept.

I feel the same in all acts of church praise. If what we do causes people to hate us and not live in love, we shouldn't do it. If what we do causes people to begin to believe that they can live less than searching lives, we shouldn't do it.

It's not the inherent rightness or wrongness that is the issue; it's the effect our deeds have on others. Of course, all who attend are in different places in their own spiritual growth...making choices hard.

We had this exact argument 30 years ago (I've been playing praise music for a LONG time!) about how long our hair should be in church!.

Ultimately, then, I agree with those who play from their own heart. If the moves come naturally from the music (in my case, I distort my face every time I play...a bad habit, I'm told) it shouldn't be criticized. I think personal honesty and supporting the text being sung is most important.

I know the CS Lewis article mentioned. He makes precisely the same point in the essay (which could be found in the book "God In The Dock," which is out of print.) The purpose of all church music is to get the audience to communal worship. IN the article, he makes the case that fine choirs and orchestras who practice perfection might not be as worshipful as the farmer singing lustily from his heart.

Our focus should be primarily on moving people to come out of their shells and give up their secret isolations and join in personal surrender, communally. More or less than that is unneeded.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

I think what Jlrush is getting at here is that if someone does not like the way a particular Church worships God, then they need to go down the street to a different Church...no hard feelings at least they are in Church. It's a very dangerous thing when a Church body begins thinking that they do it best, or if other Churches worship in a different manner then they are "wrong" or even not as good, etc. I've seen and heard it brothers. All the way down to "Oh you guys play those songs, man that's boring you should come to my Church." That attitude is dead wrong.

The reason there are different Churches and to some degree different "religions" (I hate that word) is because everyone has their own "ideal" way to worship the Father. We don't have to agree on everything, we just have to believe the basics...A personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

See what I'm saying here? If you think the Praise and Worrship team at our Church is "showboating" and you don't like it, then you should go to a different Church. It does not make you wrong, but by the same token, it doesn't make us wrong either.

Love God...Love People!

Thank you DB. Enlightening as usual.

The one thing I wish I could make more clear about what I posted earlier is that I'm not saying that we have to please everyone or that Dave Sisk was wrong in what he did. There's a fine line between what I was trying to say and what it might've sounded like I was trying to say.

Like I said initially, traditional services have their place. Obviously Dave's church is not that place. People wanting a more traditional worship service are best off finding a church with a traditional worship service. In this case, though, the old man is a member of the church and apparently likes the music, atmosphere and worship happening there. If he didn't like contemporary worship it would be a different story and I'd say to find a gentle way to suggest he find another place to worship. But the old man isn't opposed to what's happening, only potentially distracting movements that aren't necessary. Yes, if it was Spirit-filled and for the glory of God, it was a good thing but that still doesn't change the fact that it wasn't necessary (I'm not saying that it was bad).

I doubt that if you talk to the guy and really get into your different ideas of worship he'd be so hard-headed as to continue saying "it's showboating," but if he genuinely is distracted and kept from worshiping, it's an easy problem to fix. I doubt anything would be taken away from your worship experience by not swinging your sticks.

We've taken a small thing like "Is swinging your arms in the air distracting to one old guy and is it a small problem easily remedied?" and turned it into "Is self-expression and following the Spirit a bad thing?" Two completely different arguements.

davio, I do see what you are saying and I think we should go to certain lengths to ensure that we are not being a distraction or removing the focus from God. However, If we quit doing everything that people have a problem with, we will be left standing or sitting idly and doing nothing...just as satan would have us do. If we really look at the context of scripture, I think we could learn that a lot of the "religious" members of the "church" in Jesus' day hated what he did and stood for. Should he have stopped because he was offending people? I think not...

Love God...Love People!

Absolutley not, carpe. But we're not talking as generally as that. I'm not saying "stop playing contemporary worship music if people don't like it." Waving your sticks in the air is a very simple thing. There should be a line that you will not cross with trying to apease people. Is that line before or after "twirling sticks"?

There are passages in the Bible relating to pride. Show boating can be seen as being prideful. Are you really being prideful; is that your motivation? Or is this just a matter of perceived impropriety? If you don't want any trouble with the cookie jar, it might be better to stay clear of it.

I've been to ultra conservative Catholic masses and comparatively raucous gospel services, everybody singing, dancing, clapping, and "testifying".

I've also visited services that featured contemporary Christian rock. The first time I went to one of these, I have to admit, as a congregant you're not sure if you should remain quiet and unobtrusive or if you should treat it as a rock concert.

To some extent the congregation responds to the band. If the worship band just stands there as statues, I think the congregation would tend towards docile non-participation, sitting quietly and checking their watches. I think this is what Dave's worship leader is trying to avoid. Simply telling the congregation that it's ok to sing and dance and clap isn't going to work if the band doesn't also participate. It's easier to get the congregation moving if the band is, too.

As a musician in a worship band, when have you gone too far? When do you cross the line?

Why do we even have a line? Probably because of how we've witnessed performance in secular entertainment. It's hard to imagine a worship song "inspiring" anyone to smash his guitar and set it on fire, for instance. Or any of the number of vulgar things that have been done on a rock stage.

ROTF, DB! RBG, I totally agree with what you've said above.

The lead pastor called me and invited me to lunch today. We talked about the showmanship thing a little bit. He said he didn't see what I did as "showboating"...he said it looked like I was into the music and having a blast, and he thanked me again for bringing immense enthusiasm to it all.

He also said (and it's hard to believe the person who delivers the sermons would say this) that the sermons aren't what bring people to church and keep them there...they can get similar sermons at any church (although maybe delivered a little differently)...the two main factors in getting people in and keeping them there are the worship music and the kid's programs. Families will go to a church that the adults don't really like just because their kids like it. Some people will choose one church over another because they really like the music and how it's presented. Unchurched folks will come back for well-delivered and engaging worship music. He believes that music speaks to people in general, and we should leverage our worship music and worship band as best we can. That's his opinion. I certainly agree based on what got me into church in the first place.

On a different note, he told me that we're going to do a series on Acts in the next couple of months. We periodically do some secular songs as "countdown" songs (ie. as a signal to people chatting in the lobby to come in). He said he wants to do 70's and 80's funk and disco tunes as countdown songs for that whole series. Heh heh...I knew there was a reason I was sucked into this church! :cool: I've suggested a few tunes (What Is Hip about Jungle Boogie playin' that Funky Music while I'm just Bein MiceElf Agin?), and also suggested that a few of the worship songs lend themselves to being funkified somewhat. This ought to be a hoot! I think playing funk in a church might be a first (that is, if you don't consider Urban Gospel ;) ).

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Davio,

I don't have a lot of time to respond right now, but I just want to apologize if I managed to get your dander up. I'm sorry.

You slammed me pretty good bro' and that's ok. It shows you're as passionate about this as I am.

I just don't believe that we can please everyone in the congregation at any time, let alone all the time. And I don't think it is my responsibility to worry about pleasing evryone all the time. It's to leads as many as will follow.

Our church has gone to great lengths to try to accomodate everyone, but still the same ones are unhappy.

www.themojoroots.com

Originally posted by jlrush:

Davio,

Our church has gone to great lengths to try to accomodate everyone, but still the same ones are unhappy.

And probably always will be -- some people are never happier than when they're unhappy. And they tend to share their unhappiness.

Even in church. Okay, maybe especially in church.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Theology, philosophy, and bass............ I LOVE this site!

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

jlrush, dude...my gf read my post late last night and told me that I sounded mad in it and looking back, I can see that. Sorry about that. I didn't mean to come off that agressively but as you said, this is something I'm quite passionate about.

The thing that's been bothering me is that I'm not sure if I'm not being very clear or if people are just putting words into my mouth. I have no intention of ever trying to please everyone at once and I would never suggest that anyone else try it either. What I'm trying to get down to is that being displeased won't impede a person's worship in and of itself, but distractions can. I could go back to my old church and be quite displeased at how bad the music sucks now but I'd still be able to worship. However, if a choir member started juggling in the middle of "There's Room at the Cross," I'd be quite distracted and I don't think my mind would be on worship. Sorry, I'm not trying to relate Dave's stick swinging to juggling, I'm trying to make a seperate illustration.

Am I manking sense or is it just in my head? :)

Some of you guys are having way too much fun in church :)

Dave, I think your church is walking quite a line (and yes, there is always a line - I'm not saying what to do about it...). I personally would be concerned that my praise and enthusiasm crossed the line into "look at me" (as your earlier pastor seemed to). That's me - you, your pastor, and your congregation have to work out what's best for you. It always sounds like your heart is in the right place, and your pastor sees that. Good for you, because you are evangelizing as you are being called to do.

I play each week at a Catholic Mass. What we do won't be thought of as rock, but we play in the Spirit. Our job (different than Dave S's) is to support the service. Someone mentioned about musicians being unseen - that would be OK with me (as long as I can see the congregation and service so I can know what's going on). We're not the focus in this type of service, but that doesn't stop me from taking solos and overplaying (like usual).

As to older folks, we have to balance - Catholics never send people to the "church down the block". :D Most of the world sees Catholics one way (that's true for folks inside and outside of the church). The reality is that there are very few spiritual styles that haven't been adopted by Catholics - they just aren't all exhibited at Mass.

I wonder what I'll be like when I'm 70 (less than 20 years away) and I attend church where they are praying in hip hop. I won't complain, but it may not meet my spiritual needs.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Davio,

Thanks for the words, man. Of course we're passionate - we're musicians. :)

At this point I'll let you guys hash this one out. I've had a long week and I'm fried. :bor:

(Not bored, just pooped!)

See ya!

www.themojoroots.com

Well, I should note that the first music pastor is now gone from our church...that's a way long story. We've had two worship leaders in the interim who have come in to lead and otherwise help. We have our new music pastor arriving March 26...I've met him and he seems like a really good match for this church.

Anyway, I wouldn't really say the original music pastor's approach was a "look at me" approach. He however did not want any focus drawn away from him by anyone else on stage. Perhaps his heart was right in that he was the worship leader after all, and should be steering all of us toward our real purpose. I personally always read him as having a bit of internal struggle to not make it about himself. But, that's just my opinion.

And don't get me wrong...the first music pastor was a good guy, good heart, nice person (away from rehearsal), etc. But, I always did get a little annoyed that he reserved 12 square feet for himself on stage, and left the rest of us with about 2 square feet (barely enough to stand in without falling off the stage) :rolleyes: In all fairness though, there are no perfect people on the planet...we're all flawed (including me, believe it or not :freak: ).

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Our Worship Pastor is over 60, and we still get funky, so I don't think age has anything to do with it. :D

Sometimes people get into the rut of "that's not the way we've always done it" and can stifle the new thing God wants to do in your church, somebody there, or you yourself by giving them the freedom to worship Him in a new way. At the risk of sounding incredibly redundant, if what you are doing is inpired by the Spirit and directed back to Him, then it's not showmanship. Yes, if you are playing in the Worship Band you are a "leader" and should, as so eloquently stated from all the excellent posts preceeding this, be fully aware of the responsibility that position entails. One thing I might respectfully add is that the purpose of the worship band is to lead the congregation into the presence of God through praise ( Judah comes from the Hebrew yadah, which means to revere or worship with extended hands), or as Hosea 10:11 says, "Judah shall plow", to me a figurative reference to the Parable of the Sower in Mark 4. The good soil was prepared to yield fruit. The purpose of the Worship band is to prepare the hearts of the congregation to receive the seed. If that is your focus, then there is no showmanship invloved.

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

Originally posted by thabottomend:

. The purpose of the Worship band is to prepare the hearts of the congregation to receive the seed. If that is your focus, then there is no showmanship invloved.

I would just add that this is a basic philosophy of life.

Whatever the honest intentions of your heart are, if you act from them honest intentions you are on the right track.

It even applies to music. If you ritard without counting, the ritard is aimless. But if you continue counting as you ritard, and slow the pulse, you can slow down as much as you want to, and the audience will stay with you.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Threads like this remind me of how blessed I am with my current church.

No fuddy-duddy's makin' waves about "that loud noise you kids call worship these days"

A Pastor who is very supportive of the Praise and Woship ministry

and a Worship Leader without an ego problem(who is also known to say "turn the bass UP")

All three have been problems in the past and I'm givin glory to Him that I'm not having to deal with them currently.

Archived