Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Enjoying The Beatles

Luke73

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Bottomgottem:

Here is a fine way to enjoy the Beatles.

Hit the link then click on "watch".

This guy has better rhythm than alot of drummers I know.

"Golden Slumbers / Carry That Weight / The End"

Holy crap!

:eek:

That's very impressive :thu:

That was a fine way to enjoy the Beatles.

Thanks ;)

As 2 the Hofner/Ric usage, PMc actually used the Ric N studio much earlier than many presume (& recently seen backstage photos show that he even took it on tour with the Beatles, presumably as a backup).

The Hofners (he actually had 2, one with a bridge position pickup, one with both pickups nearer the fretboard) were just an iconic part of their image & therfore almost always used N performances.

He used that bass "with both pickups nearer the fretboard" when the beatles were playing in germany, it has subsequently been dubbed the "cavern" bass, named after the club they were selling out night after night....before they were deported because of an account from the owner from the top 10 club which brough them back to england.

Obviously there was much more experimentation going on in the studio, with jazz basses, rickenbackers, bass VI's, and of course the hofners. I hate to think that macca was using the hofner only for the image, though it is possible. The tone he was getting out of the hofner though, he was unlikely to find in any other axe. He was using only the neck pickup, and hat it set for the deepest sound he could get out of it. I suppose this could explain his gravitation to the rickencacker as the neck pickup placement might suggest.

"The Beetles" was the name of a motorcycle gang in the Marlon Brando film, "The Wild One." The name was adapted, & the spelling changed for the obvious reason.

The first music I ever listened to was The Beatles. I was completely hooked at the age of 4 or 5. So I've been a fan my whole life. But as I've grown older, experienced more music, & had a go at making music myself, I realize that these guys were even better than I ever thought, & I've always thought they were great. At the time, it was as much a cultural revolution as anything, & the media had a field day with it. What has really lasted, though, is the reality of the revolution in popular music they made. It was The Beatles who showed the world that what was basically a fun, "feel good" type of music could actually be a sublime art form. And still feel good.

One reason for The Beatles name was that they were big fans of Buddy Holly. Crickets/Beetles. At one time they were called The Silver Beetles but changed the spelling for obvious reasons. So in one sense they *were* deliberately named after an insect. Apropos of nothing, Brits don't normally use the word "bug" in that sense.

Archived