Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jamerson Tribute in S.C.

Bottomgottem

originally posted by Micheal ATONAL Vick:

...I just want to let you all know that I just got asked to help with a James Jamerson Tribute here in South Carolina. I will have more information soon, but we are going to invite Bassists from all over the World to come and celebrate the Life and Music of James Jamerson. The Funk Brothers will be there, as well as; Bob Babbit with more to follow......

I saw this in the editor's forum and thought that some of us may be interested. Since we can't see Jamerson anymore, this may be the next best thing
My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, thanks for checking this idea out. I am still getting the details together to release an Offical "Press Release", but I thought mentioning here would be a good idea too.

Again, this is going to be a large Bass Summit for All Bass Players. The Funk Brothers will perform, and there will also be a Bass Clinic, as well as; other performances. As soon as I get more info etc I will immediately let everyone here know. Jamerson was a one of a kind, and a Tribute to him in this fashion will be Stellar!

MAVick

You guys are defintley on it. The performances will be in Charleston and at the Church James played at in Edisto. We are drawing up a plan right now for funding too.

This group did have a smaller Tribute to Jamerson in 2003 which I was not part of, but this one will be larger overall and Documented..............MAVVVick

Here is some UpDated information on the Festival from one of its Directors Dr. Karen Chandler.....

"The James Jamerson Project"

The Charleston Jazz Initiative, a multi-year research project based in the Arts Management Program in partnership with the Avery Research Center at the College of Charleston, Charleston, South Carolina is interested in planning a second series of events honoring the life and music of the late James Jamerson (a two-day tribute was held several years ago). It is our hope to plan a James Jamerson clinic for bassists, a day-long picnic on Edisto Island, South Carolina (Jamerson's birthplace) where we would like to invite the Funk Brothers, and other events celebrating Jamerson's career.

No firm commitments have been made for these plans, yet. Funding is needed to further develop our ideas. If you know of potential sponsors who might be interested in learning more about these plans and helping to fund these events, have them contact Dr. Karen Chandler at chandlerk@cofc.edu or Jack McCray at jmccray@postandcourier.com , the co-principals of the Charleston Jazz Initiative. See www.charlestonjazz.net about the Charleston Jazz Initiative.

Dr. K.C.

Michael ATONAL Vick : BassFight.US

• 3 weeks later...
Well, as of right now we are having Fund Raisers to get the "Funds" for the the Event. We are looking at early 2007 right now due to the size and nature of the Event too. I am having a BASS FIGHT Competition in Charlotte, NC on April 7th where I am going to really spread the word some more too. I will defintiley post all the new UpDates as I recieve, Thanks...............MAVVVick

Archived