Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So do you play this or take it to the batting cages?

UTS-D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to hear/play this thing. Phaedus, can you post a pic of someone actually playing...I can't tell from looking at it how you actually hold it! :freak:

Btw, don't assume that all EMG pickups are sterile-sounding...my fretless has passive EMG-HZ's and they are anything but sterile...very warm and thumpy sounding, lots of growl on the B-string, and very nasally with just a little grit on higher notes...I like them a lot!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by Dave Sisk:

I'd love to hear/play this thing. Phaedus, can you post a pic of someone actually playing...I can't tell from looking at it how you actually hold it! :freak:

Btw, don't assume that all EMG pickups are sterile-sounding...my fretless has passive EMG-HZ's and they are anything but sterile...very warm and thumpy sounding, lots of growl on the B-string, and very nasally with just a little grit on higher notes...I like them a lot!

Dave

I used to have a bass that had EMG Hz pickups and I agree it was anything but sterile. My sterile comment was actually geared towards active EMGs.

I like the way the tuning macines are laid out, however I hate the fact that they're on what i believe is the body (kind of hard to tell) and that's about the most positive thing I can say. I have an honest question, How is one to feel comfortable playing this thing on stage when they have to worry about getting electricuted if they make a mistake and bump some power source? or for that matter being worried about knocking out the other band members in the event of an accidental "collision." Also, considering how many musicians are indeed high (or drunk) on stage this is a pretty dangerous bass.

It's most definitely an intersting concept, but I get the idea that this bass is different just for the sake of being different, a quality which is overall detrimental to its purpose.

hmmm...

I want one... I'll dress like The Road Warrior and join an industrial band!

Actually, I sent pics of this bass to a few bassist buds, and they all think it's pretty cool in both concept and design.

I'd definitely play one. I'm manly enough to handle the weight of this bass. Grr. And I'm dead sexayy.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Again, I think the disclaimers are just that...disclaimers. A cymbal on a stand is dangerous, too, as is a mic.

I think this is the furthest thing from being different for the sake of being different. Remember, people said that about the P-Bass, too. Although it solved volume and portability issues, there was a lot of resistance at the time to its non-traditional approach to bass.

I think worries about electrocution and collision are the same for a bass or a guitar or the Phaedrus. I could easily kill someone with a Warwick Thumb or a Les Paul, and either of those could also leave a nice gouge on a keyboard, the wall or a girlfriend's forehead.

Look, what I'm trying to say is that everyone is, of course, entitled to their own opinion, and speculation is cool. But no one here has played it, so being so negative is silly. I'd hate to see ANY instrument makernot want to post here or only post defensive statements because a bunch of people who have no experience with their product were criticizing it.

As I said, Thayer, I'm looking forward to hearing it!

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by CMDN:

I want one... I'll dress like The Road Warrior and join an industrial band!

If he builds a 5-string I'll wear it with my "Jason" outfit on Halloween.

(tho' I might have to build a handle and sharpen an edge, though) :evil:

Hey Thayer,

I'm Don. I found your post on Craig's List in San Diego and I had to share it here on the LDLD. I'm just busting your chops, please don't take my banter serious. You know how it is, "the weird kid" gets teased and bullied a bit. :D Just don't bring a gun to school... :eek:

Anyway, next time I make my way up to LA, I'll stop by and check it out. But I am kinda serious about teaming your bass with that Bose system. I think they compliment each other in looks.

Good luck on your venture!!

:thu:

Originally posted by PhaedusMusic.com:

i SWEAR this thing sounds "full", warm and cozy, but still has "bite" when you want to funk out. i wouldn't be pushing this thing if i didn't think it had a lot to offer in just about every aspect.

i'm working on putting some demo movies on the site today and tomarrow....

= - )

I'm not trying to be critical here, just want to ask a serious question. When the Steinbeger design came out it offered a size and weight advantage over other basses, what advantage does the Phaedrus design have over a conventional design? Is the tone and sustain any better? Is it more comfortable to play? Etc?

Your conviction and belief in your product is very admirable. I have to confess that I personally don't like the aesthetics of your creation, but if I ever come across one I will be compelled to give it a try. Who knows, you may win me over... or not. Either way I will promise to keep an open mind.

I wish you every success in this endeavor and I hope to see some of your basses around here. I admire people who can come up with new designs and are brave enough to face a world of discriminating consumers and put their personal creation to the test.

Originally posted by groover:

When the Steinbeger design came out it offered a size and weight advantage over other basses

Size yes. Weight, no. The original Steinberger L series were 8.5 lbs, the same as a Jazz bass of that era or an Original Ibanez Roadgear.

I think the major advantages of the Steinberger were the tuning stability and the new timbres (Whether one thinks of them as sterile or not).

"For instance" is not proof.

I dig it. I want one. +1 on the 5-string suggestions...even a 6! I'd probably drop $500 on it to give it a shot if I weren't jonesing for a 6-string.

Contact the guys at Bass Central in Orlando, FL and Bass Northwest in Seattle, WA if you want more people to see, hear and play it. They're good guys and I know they're easy to deal with...at least from the consumer side.

uh, i'll build a 5-string soon, but that's going to probobly be around 15 pounds (hee hee). and my 6-string will bend you over like an old granny, guarenteed.

as far as weight is concerned, check out the pic of my phaedrus 1-string (link below). it weighs about a pound, and actually plays and sounds pretty good, all things considered.

http://www.vikingmovie.com/phaedrus/phaedrus_proton.jpg

i've played a few times on stage and people were like, 'what the HELL is THAT?'

...yes, i have too much time on my hands...

That 1-string is awesome! I'd love to try something like that. I dunno...I'll sleep on it (probably more than once) and maybe I'll end up going for this 4-string contraption just for the heck of it. I'm not sure why it seems so inviting to me. Looks like it'd travel well in a rifle case.

Originally posted by zeronyne:

Originally posted by groover:

When the Steinbeger design came out it offered a size and weight advantage over other basses

Size yes. Weight, no. The original Steinberger L series were 8.5 lbs, the same as a Jazz bass of that era or an Original Ibanez Roadgear.

I think the major advantages of the Steinberger were the tuning stability and the new timbres (Whether one thinks of them as sterile or not).

I stand... er, actually I sit corrrected. Thanks for the info!

Originally posted by PhaedusMusic.com:

funny you should mention it... big 5 sporting goods sells a nifty hardshell rifle case which fits in 2 4-strings, and maybe a 1-string in the middle, for like $18.95

Or a 4 and a 5?

Archived