Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

... a little help..?

Ross Brown

I have a first rehearsal coming up with a new band and the agreed on songs include 3 SRV songs, This House is Rockin' (Stray Cats) I Hear You Knocking (Dave Edmunds) and Tuff Enough (Fab Thuderbirds).

Anyone want to offer some thoughts/experience on the last three songs? Would appreciate it. I took a quick pass at them last night. Went OK. Could especially use help on the Stay Cats tune.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The House Is Rockin' is very typical of I IV V rock/n/roll tunes, with the typical variations of how long and in what order you stay on each chord. And on each chord you run the 1(root)-3-5-6-dom7-8(octave) notes, and at the end of each section have some latitude for chromatic connections or walkups/downs.

After you've heard a gazillion of them about the only thing you need to pay special attention to is whether the 6, the dom7, or both are used (if you want to be true to other recorded versions), and whether the octave is used. Then make sure your guitar manglers don't have some other thing they are doing that conflicts with that ; }

Remember that all these tunes are supposed to be fun! Dave Brown's suggestions are a bullseye. Make them groove, noodle just a little bit, and play like there's no tomorrow. Laugh a lot.

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

I probably won't dress the part for the Stray Cats. Not quite the look I am going for. :)

The songs are fun and that is important. The SRV songs ecite me the most but haven't met too many folks that can play that lead, we'll see what happens. The guys I am getting with are experienced, so...

Thanks Greenboy, that's what I was looking for.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I think the hardest thing about "I Hear You Knocking" would be to hold back on the tempo. Unless you folks are speeding it up by design, it probably needs to be just a bit slower than you would think. Lay back and let is slow-cook.

I guess I'm lucky - one of my guitarists does a fine job with Pride And Joy while the other one kills Crossfire (and Pride And Joy).

Good luck !!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived