Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Getting back into it

glorth2

Hey guys. Newbie here. I'm 36. Started playing when I was 16. I played seriously, mostly in a prog rock outfit until I was about 21 when I went away to college. I farted around with it off and on and all but stopped playing, oh, 7 years ago. I'm freshly divorced and thinking about getting back into it. Right now I have nothing so I'm starting from scratch.

One issue, I spent a lot on house stuff when I moved out, need to do some home improvements yet, and was trying to lower my credit card debt. Second issue, I'm an instrument snob and refuse to get a Squire just to get back into it. This past weekend I stopped at a Sam Ash and tried a Warwick Thumb bolt-on bass through a Hartke A100 and it sounded wonderful. The neck is a little wider than I like but I like everything else about it. The bass is $1500 and the amp about $300. I'm seeing some used Thumbs on EBay for the $700-$800 range but I'm not sure if the controls are the same, etc.

I know Hartke is a good name and the amp sounded good I'm just not sure what else is out there as far as combos. I know GK and Trace Elliot are respected but don't know how they compare to Hartke. I want something small enough to practice with and big enough to gig with. Don't know if 100W can handle that. Any other recommendations?

I'm also a little worried about dropping all this coin and then maybe getting involved with someone and ignoring it. Although, recent history doesn't suggest that will be a problem.

:(

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Welcome to the Lowdown. If you decide to start playing bass again, I believe you'll get a lot out of this forum.

I understand the "instrument snob" thing to a degree, I would never choose to play a Squire either. OTOH, there are a lot of fine instruments between a Squire and a Warwick. If money is an issue, you might find that a mexican or japanese Fender meets your needs. Of course, there are many other good mid-range choices, too. I think the best idea is to decide how much you can spend on an instrument and then play a lot of them until you find one that both feels and sounds good to you.

As for amps, I wouldn't try to gig with less than 200 Watts. With a moderately loud drummer, you'll either be inaudible or you'll have to push your amp to the limit to keep up and that doesn't make for good bass sound.

I have a 200 Watt Eden Nemesis combo and it's one of the best gear investments I've ever made. It's light, compact and loud enough for small rooms. Plus, it sounds phenomenal. A new one would run you around $600, but I've seen them used for $400.

Originally posted by glorth2:

I'm also a little worried about dropping all this coin and then maybe getting involved with someone and ignoring it.

I'd venture to guess that most of us on this forum are involved in relationships. I've been married for ten years, have a dayjob and gig with two bands.

If I met someone who tried to make me choose between them and music, I'd choose music and keep dating until I found a person who accepted me for who I am and supported my calling as a musician, but that's me.

Good luck!

I'm not into the Fender cheapies or the Squires, but with a couple mods some of the ones I've played could be very nice basses indeed. In fact, a stock Squire P a guy here bought looked about the same and played better than a MIA P another guy bought, and even he thought so.

There's also some satisfaction for some in taking a cheapie a little further.

Oh, yeah: rigs. I wouldn't go for less than 400 watts or so. Well, maybe 300 in the right combo and then cop an extension cab. But if you live in an area where PA support is the norm for clubs, less speaker cab (good 112 with horn) but a modicum of light weight wattage could be the key for both jamming and gigging.

Yes, but if possible, play them both and see which one you prefer. I actually liked the sound of the 115 I tried better, but found it wouldn't fit in the back of my car! :D

Eden is one of the most respected names in high end bass amps and cabs. Nemesis is their economy priced line, but still excellent gear for the cash.

My advice would be to check out the used market, and buy as much power as you can possibly afford. The GK heads and the SWR Workingman's series cabs, are products with a value far above their price points. And they are plentiful, so finding them shouldn't be difficult.

If you weren't an instrument snob, I'd advise you to search the used market for a well-kept Yamaha BB series bass. Yamaha seem to do a very good job of building basses in the lower price range, in my experience.

Oh and...

Welcome back into the lowdown fold!

:thu:

I should also add that Greenboy makes a good point about headroom. 400 watts would definitely be preferable to 200 and may be essential if you play with a loud drummer.

OTOH, you could probably get by with 200-300 if your drummer isn't a basher and you have PA support for your larger gigs.

I would suggest that you try out some of the Warwick Rockbass range they are dam fine instruments + great value for money. The Yamaha, Ibanez and Cort all make well priced quality instruments. They resounding take is that today you get alot more bang for your buck than you would have 10 years ago, this trend has been noted many times in BP and other bass mags.

As for the relationship side of things any time I have stopped for any length of time I turn into a miserable bastard, so its best for all concerned if I keep going!! He He!

I was in the same boat you're in now. After taking 15 years off I jumped back in with both feet. I ended up with an Aerodyne Jazz Bass and a Mexican Jazz. Been very happy with both basses after some tweeking. For amplification went with an Ampeg B2R head and Hartke 412(aluminum)and 115 (paper) cabs. Have been very happy with the rig so far. Could use a little more head room on the amp. But so far so good.

First, Rush recently used laundry equipment on stage. None of the pics on chartattack showed it - but that's the gimmick.

Second, I agree about going to a certain level on your instruments. If you are concerned about money, a Warwick thumb isn't the cheapest way to go. Try and play other instruments to renew your feel. I also agree with greenboy that Carvins are nice bits of wood.

Third, if you are getting back into it, consider a headphone amp as a way to begin simply. If you end up in a death-metal band, you might need a different amp than if you are doing weddings. Until you know, a headphone unit is a nice choice. Look at Tascam's Bass Trainer, or a Cafe Walter (/www.cafewalter.com/ha1/index.htm).

Lastly, welcome back, and welcome here :thu:

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived