Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Smokin' SWR

Father Gino

I've got an older SM 400 which I now use as a backup/practice amp. It's a road weary beast but it worked well enough untill the other day. I turned it on and smoke came puring out of the power switch. The smoke flowed downwards and didn't smell like much of anything. I turned it off and on again and everything was fine. Now off and on, it does the same thing, always on an initial power up.

Does this ring any bells with anyone? Could it be just the switch itself? I really don't want to spend a lot of money fixing it, but I guess if it was possible that it was a relatively minor problem, it might be worth it.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bass heads are too cool to start smoking like that. Better take it to the doctor very soon, and don't touch anything metal while you do that or it could be fatal.

We don't want to read about you in the obits. :cool:

I have an SM-400 as my backup head, too. I used it to great success for quite some time, but the thing just got hot as hell. It doesn't have any kind of internal fan, so the whole frame would really heat up. I've opted to use my Eden as my primary head since then, but I've broken out the SWR on quite a few occassions.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Archived