Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Low standards at music stores(intonation checks)

ian101

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by greenboy:

Maybe it's just me, but I've met a lot of good people who work in music stores. Though some of the customers can be trials ; }

I was always super nice to the customers. Sometimes the one that bugged you the most and drove you crazy, will show up another day and make a purchase. This happened many times to me.

I always treated customers like I wanted to be treated. I miss working at the Music store. It was allot of fun. :)

DONUT:

I am planning on getting a 5-string OLP in the next 6 months. When I do, if I can't find anything local (less than 25% chance really) I will definitely hit up your eBay auctions.

So... if something really, really exceptional rolls through your shop (great flame, perfect neck, etc), you might post it or PM me. I like a medium action b/c I dig in pretty hard :D

I'm guessing that poor setup are the case because either the store owners simply don't know (they don't play the instruments on a regular basis to know whether they need maintenance), that they don't see it as justified from a cost-benefit point of view (mostly talking about the major chain stores here), or that they see it as an exercise in futility, since set-up is largely an issue of personal preference and will either be "right or wrong" depending on who the test driver is.

Personally, I try to keep my basses on a fairly even rotation. I don't play them a lot, but I do plug them in, play them, and give them the "eagle eye" every so often, just to make sure that everythig is still in tip-top shape. I also try to maintain the factory set-up as much as possible which is always excellent, considering the guys that I work with. I completely feel the collective pain of those trying to demo basses at the major chains....the set up and condition of those basses is usualy horrible. But, as long as people continue to walk in and buy them off the rack, I doubt that anything will change. It just doesn't make financial sense for them to invest time and money into something that is ever-changing and that many of thier cutomers don't view as a major issue...unfortunately. :(

I'm guessing that poor setup are the case because either the store owners simply don't know (they don't play the instruments on a regular basis to know whether they need maintenance), that they don't see it as justified from a cost-benefit point of view (mostly talking about the major chain stores here), or that they see it as an exercise in futility, since set-up is largely an issue of personal preference and will either be "right or wrong" depending on who the test driver is.

Personally, I try to keep my basses on a fairly even rotation. I don't play them a lot, but I do plug them in, play them, and give them the "eagle eye" every so often, just to make sure that everythig is still in tip-top shape. I also try to maintain the factory set-up as much as possible which is always excellent, considering the guys that I work with. I completely feel the collective pain of those trying to demo basses at the major chains....the set up and condition of those basses is usualy horrible. But, as long as people continue to walk in and buy them off the rack, I doubt that anything will change. It just doesn't make financial sense for them to invest time and money into something that is ever-changing and that many of thier cutomers don't view as a major issue...unfortunately. :(

My last two basses have come straight from the box, i.e. no punters have touched them. They have both been excellent. In the same stores I notice some of the basses have loose pots or need set-up work.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Archived