Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chicago area visit

abc

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on the budget. GC in Arlington Heights has Warwicks and a nice selection of Musicman along with the usual complement of Fenders.

If you are looking a bit higher end and don't mind a bit of a drive, Try Flynn Brothers, Make n Music, and Guitar Works. They are in Evanston and the North side of Chicago.

If you want to go super high end, give Jay at Blueberry Hill Basses a call...you may find it very rewarding or call Luthiers Access group.

Avoid Sam Ash, which is sort of on the way to Guitar Center...very small selection.

It depends on budget and distance. I'd be happy to recommend even more places based on more parameters.

"For instance" is not proof.

I'm totally sold on the Fender American P deluxe. Aged cherry burst! That's what I'm looking for primarily and also corresponding to my budget - I guess. It will definitely be a five-string.
"Your mind is writing checks your body can't cash"

To build on 0-9's recommendations:

For Fender, Guitar Works Ltd. on Main St. in Evanston (first suburb north of Chicago along Lake Michigan) is a great place to go. Almost all their basses are Fender. This is one of my favorite shops.

The staff there is terrific. You might actually get a slightly better price at GC, but this local shop is worth supporting. If you're particularly interested in an American P Deluxe, you should call first to see whether they've got one in stock.

Flynn Brothers in Evanston does a lot of G&L business. If you like the American P Deluxe, it's probably worth a serious look at some G&L basses as well. The L-2500 (American or Tribute from Korea) might meet your needs.

Musicians Network at about 5255 N. Clark St. (if memory serves) in Chicago is a nice store. Like Flynn Bros., they will likely have G&L in stock.

Maken' Music closer to downtown Chicago will be higher end than all of these. They will have Fenders, so it's worth calling about an American P Deluxe. They will also have Lakland, MTD, and Modulus in stock, plus a really nice array of amps and cabinets (EA, Aguilar, and others - like your home country's EBS). They also carry Z. Vex effects pedals, so you could try the face-melting $300 fuzz box known as the Woolly Mammoth.

Enjoy your journey. If you're lucky, 0-9 will guide you around. You should be able to find some great live music in the evenings in Chicago.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

You might also check the Downers Grove Guitar Center.

What is that place that is right near Wrigley Field that is packed full of vintage gear? I've never made it in the door, but the place looks amazing from the outside. I know that it it just south of Wrigley and very near the surf shop (which I googled and found quickly at 5255 N. Clark St.).

There is also a place that you could find an upright at on Roosevelt in the Oak Park / Forest Park area. I don't remember the name but it is a small store that deals with orchestra strings.

Nutt I forget the name, but that place off Clark just south of Wrigley is the best vintage place I've ever been. They have a TON of old basses, especially old Fenders.

It's pricy tho, and the small staff can be a bunch of too-cool-for-you tools, but I just ignore them and try out all the basses I want. I would HIGHLY recommend going there if you want vintage stuff.

Guitar Works in Evanston does have a good selection and good staff. Flynn is a very good place for repairs but has a small selection.

Isn't Lakland based in Chicago, on the north side? I could have sworn they are. Perhaps I've been wrong, but I keep telling myself to make it over to their store one of these days.

One Guitar Center is about as good as another to me, but the one on on Ashland near Belmont is pretty good and worth checking out for new basses. If that P-Deluxe you're looking for is new, I'd recommend going here.

On repairs: has anyone tried out Third Coast Guitars just west of downtown, just south of Oprah? My teacher recommended them, I was wondering if anyone in the Chicagoland area had tried them.

Originally posted by ZZ Thorn:

Nutt I forget the name, but that place off Clark just south of Wrigley is the best vintage place I've ever been. They have a TON of old basses, especially old Fenders.

Yup, this is the place I'm talking 'bout.

Originally posted by abc:

Hi, will probably have to go to Crystal Lake, Ill. area in a few weeks. Will definitely look for a new bass :D So where to go?

Aaaack, not Crystal Lake! I used to live there (briefly) in 1993. Land 'o strip malls - an endless line, one right after the other. I'm so glad to be out of there :)

I'm not sure if they're even there anymore, but I'd avoid Park Ave. Music in Lombard. They gave me a bunch of bum advice about gear.

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

Originally posted by NUTT:

Are we talking about 3rd Coast?

Also, has anyone been to Bass Club in Alsip? I see it every Monday at 4:00am as I drive to the airport. Nothing remarkable, except they are a Manne dealer. :eek:

Thanks all for your info. I really appreciate it, really ...

And Ross, it's only for a week or so. Some hard work and then back home to ol' Stockholm, hopefully with a nice bass :)

Originally posted by zeronyne:

Originally posted by NUTT:

Are we talking about 3rd Coast?
I don't think so - Third Coast is just west of the highway downtown, off Addams I think. They don't have much of a selection but my teacher said he got his basses worked on there sometimes and they're pretty good.

This vintage place is off Clark, south of Wrigley, on the west side of the street. They have a ton of vintage Fenders.

Anyone ever been to the Bass Palace in Scranton, PA? From their website they seem pretty sweet. Hey, I'm going to DC for New Year's, maybe I can stop by...off to Mapquest. EDIT - 4 hours out of my way...don't think so.

This vintage place is off Clark, south of Wrigley, on the west side of the street. They have a ton of vintage Fenders.

Ah, I think you mean Chicago Music Exchange LINK

They moved very recently. And what a coincidence...I'm in DC now (every week, actually).

Yeah, I mentioned it above as a Manne dealer. Is it worth going to? I pass it every Monday and Friday on my way to the airport, but I've never had a chance to go in. Do they do repairs and setups?

Originally posted by zeronyne:

Yeah, I mentioned it above as a Manne dealer. Is it worth going to? I pass it every Monday and Friday on my way to the airport, but I've never had a chance to go in. Do they do repairs and setups?

Definitely worth the stop. Owner is very friendly . You can try anything in the store. Prepare to be amazed.

• 9 months later...

Will be in Crystal Lake in the end of next week, then I'll stay in Lexington the week after.

Are there any nice stores (bass/amp)in Lexington I don't want to miss?

/abc

Archived