Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Maggie May question

zeronyne

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oofa!

That bass track is all over the place. It's so noodly that it's almost amateur.

I do like the overall "LoFi-ness" of the track though. The song is good so, I'll let that weak production slide.

"I don't play Bass..I play SONGS."

Originally posted by cornbread:

I loved playing that song live because you could almost play anything and it fit perfectly.

Exactly!

It's hard to overplay on that one. No matter what you do (or do not) play...it fits.

"I don't play Bass..I play SONGS."

It has come up countless times before in this forum: this Maggie May bassline (played by Ron Wood?) definitely polarizes people's opinions. I'm among those that find it remarkable; as essential a part of that song's sloppy magic as the dull, dry sound on the guitar "solo" melody. Trying to replicate that lumbering feel is nearly impossible, however, unless your drummer condescends to play the blindingly simple thump-whack thump-whack kick/snare pattern (with those indispensable and brilliantly stoopid 1/4-note bashes on the half-open hi-hat)otherwise don't bother, because you will never nail the groove without it. :thu:

Ronnie Wood did that a lot in the old days. Check out the Jeff Beck Group's version of "All Shook Up". That's Ronnie, low end cranked up and all over the place. I figured it helped him land the guitar slot in Faces when he and Rod bailed a few years later.

Shocking but true: a bass part CAN be overplayed. Film at 11.

:wave:

• 2 weeks later...

Flatwounds on P-bass, (which is also my sound) (I got a set of roundwounds for the first time in years and MAN I hate 'em!) is definitely Ronnie Lane's m.o.

I haven't heard "Maggie May" in a while so I can't say, but I'd just like to shout out for Ronnie: damn good bass player. He can groove superbly (I'm Losing You, Judy's Farm) and he can play melodically as well. A darn good band, those Faces.

Since my ear always goes directly to the bassline of whatever I'm listening to, I find Maggie May almost painful. I'd always heard that Ron Wood played bass on that particular cut. Whoever did it - it's horrible IMHO. Too much noodling about, it distracts from the rest of the tune and calls too much attention to the bass. Ronnie Laine was a really good bass player and Maggie May sounds more like a guitar player playing on a bass - i.e. Ron Wood.

Noodly basslines usually don't work. Listen to Pauls bass on "Something". He barely gets away with it and in a recent interview he admitted really having to sell it to George Harrison, who didn't like it at first.

I always thought that Maggie May should have been played with much more restraint.

I love the bassline to something, I think its beautifilly melodic and supports the vocals and the song while countering them at times. I don't think that he barely get away with it, I think he uses his playing to add to the song. I understand that George may not have liked that extra melodic line in his song from the begining, but thats partof being a songwriter, accepting new ideas that enhance your piece, and the fact that that bassline is on that recorded version proves that, doesnt it?

I love the Beatles tune "Something" also. The bass line isn't just a bass line but a counter melody as well. That's a McCartney trademark - Paul "gets away with it" because his playing while "busy", is melodic and complimentary.

Contrast that to someone who's just noodling around - it's annoying to some people's ears (like me). The diference is that someone like McCartney can pull it off and make it work.

Back to the original point, the same cannot be said for Maggie May - IMHO. I know other bassists who I admire that like Maggie May but I respectfuly disagree.

Archived