Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help with things to know when selling music?

owens hound

I havent started too many posts, 1 I think, but Im an avid reader of most of the posts posted here and in Bandwidth and read them daily.

I have the opportunity to get paid to create some music for a local gym owner for work-outs. Im very new to this type of thing and am hoping someone can give me some tips and things to know about when selling original material. I havent worked out the details as of yet but when I discussed it with the gym owner, he was very interested in the idea.

Ill be either making my own samples or will use Acid Pro along with royalty free samples and my own samples. Does anyone have any experience with doing anything like this? I want to make sure that Im not infringing on any copyrights and that I am getting a fair price for the music I create.

Any and all input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I sold music to an aerobics instructor for class use, with an option to use it for a planned video tape. I maintained full rights, and had she made the video tape I would have collected royalties. A lawyer was involved.

Thanks! That is very good to know. I might have some trouble finding an entertainment lawyer in my area, small city of 20,000, I'm 2.5 hours north west of Toronto and I'm sure I'll find one there.

I'm also thinking about royalties and was thinking I'd rather have a percentage of any profits rather then being paid a flat fee for services.

GB, how did you determine a cost for the music you sold?

Thanks,

Another question, does anyone know how royalty free samples work and if they need to be sited when using them?

All the royalty-free material I've ever seen comes with material that cites the terms of use.

I simply negotiated a flat sum payment for the initial program material, with per-class playback fees that kicked in after 30 classes, after approaching her with some tailored demos. We got together a couple times and explored how her business growth would allow a decent plan that would benefit us both.

At the time I was partners in a studio with a guy whose wife was a CPA and she hooked me up with a lawyer who'd dabbled in similar entrepeneur ventures before, gratis.

Archived