Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sound of Warwick Streamer Pro M/Fortress masterman

BenHack

Hi guys

I have a 5 string Warwick Fprtress masterman (same pickup configuration as a streamer Pro M). It's currently strung E-C with light gauge strings and I just use it for experimenting with chords etc.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried flats on one of these. If so how does it sound. I have a Motown series of gigs coming up and don't have a precision (or any other non 5 string active bass for that mater). I'm wondering if I could fake the sound with some flats on the ole' bass with some foam under the strings..

Cheers, C-YA

Ben

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by getz76:

I would use if more if it had a B-string. ;)

That's easily remedied. Some filing of the nut and you can string it B-E-A-D (or whatever else your heart desires. :P

Still spreadin' the luv,

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Ben,

Sorry to get off-track there for a moment.

Please do try some flats. I think they will help move you towards the sound you desire.

Otherwise, you could see what happens if you do some routing and install a P pickup. :P

Or, you could spend some cash on a nice V-Bass upgrade... :eek:;)

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Thanks guys

I have thought about tuning in 5ths before but I don't think my poor pattern based mind would deal so well with it. I get frustrated if I can't play the thing quickly (something I'm gonna have to rectify when I get my Upright tomorrow : )

I guess I'll give the flats a go. It really is a great playing bass but for me my Sadowsky wins hand down in the tone department. Maybe flats will let the Warwick see the light of day. Cheers

Ben

I suppose I should ask for recommendations for a set of flats. I'm sure there's loads of info if I use the search feature, but what can I say : )

I'd like to get as close as possible to the Motown thud but I like to play with a low action and a light touch. It's be great if I could change the sound without having to change my setup too much. Also I'm not sure If I'd string it B-G or E-C so suggestions for both would be great. Cheers, c-ya

Ben

Thanks Greenboy

I know what you're saying but with the cost of strings over here in Australia it's nice to have a few suggestions to try out at first (especially if someone's used the brand on the same bass with similar desired results).

I guess I may go use the search feature afterall. Cheers

Ben

Ben,

Honestly, search will just tell you what I told you when you ah, er, boil it all down. Everybody has a different ear, a different bass and set of pickups, a different rig - and maybe heard them in a different mindset and maybe hasn't done much real world comparison to temper their superlatives or disses. I myself have liked a few different ones including Dean Markley and Labella (Carvin). And believe it or not, a set that's lighter gauged than another of the same brand name sounds different yet.

Perhaps it would help you to look at the last string shootout Bass Player mag had (don't recall URL, but it's recent)... Even then, their perceptions didn't always match mine - though I tend toward lighter sets than what they tested - again, that makes a difference. A lot of that is because of different core-to-wrap ratios as you step up or down through the gauges.

Honestly though, if flats are what you think you want, I'd start with a lighter set and I think you'll like just about any brand once you get accustomed.

Thanks Greenboy

I understand what you're saying, one man's Rondo is another's Sadowsky type of deal. I guess one of the biggest problems I face is that in my neck o' the woods I've never even seen flats for sale let alone been able to try them out. So I'm gonna have to order them in (possibly several sets).

I'll see if I can dig up that Bass Player string shootout to see what they have to say. I recall hearing that there are several flats out there (tomastiks spring to mind) that dont have that 'traditional' flat sound. My guess is that I woulsd need mega trad sound to compensate for the uber modern Warwick vibe. Ahh well in the end it's all about personal experimentation. Cheers

Ben

Hoi, Ben,

You have no internet [bass] string shops then? Here I sometimes only get one set at a time, with a fair shipping rate. I also have purchased from a couple wide-spectrum music stores like Elderly Instruments and have always paid similar prices.

Actually the Thomastik Jazz Flats are very nice but very expensive, and sing more in the midrange, with less thud and click (using the same technical approach). I'd go for WHAT'S CHEAP over there myself, since really they all seem to do the job just fine.

Thanks Greenboy, I hadn't thought of the internet string distributers (I've always assumed the freight would make it prohibitively expensive - maybe assumptions just make an ass outta me an Umption : )

Yeah I guess your description of Tomastik's sounds like what I've heard (complete with specific scientific cescriotive terms ; )

Cheers Arwin, I may have to give the Labella's a go.

Now just to decide if I want a high C (great for chords) or a Low B (much easier to play alot of Motown stuff for us native 5 stringers).

Mmmm, decisions, decisions.

C-Ya

Ben

Your bookmarks must be overflowing ; } I just google if I actually need a non-primary URL. Or follow the trail. Actually though, in this case I dl'd the charts so I could look at them at a decent magnification. And I sure think they got it wrong a lot of the time. I'm sure I would too, once I had to try to do a hundred sets or more.

That's probably why they avoid 040 sets. It seems like the variances in feel and tone are even more diverse at smaller diameters on less flexible strings like flatwounds, compressed wounds, groundwounds, etc. In fact, ac ouple sets they said didn'ty have much highs sound very bright if you go from 045 to 040 sets (like GHS Pressurewound).

Archived