Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Suggest worship songs with great...no, make that funk...bass lines?

Gruuve

I like a lot of contemp. Christian music. It's all out of Nashville for some reason, so a lot of the session musicians are the same, and it sounds quite a bit alike.

Bands I like - FFH, Jars of Clay, Rebecca St. James...

OH - Switchfoot. If anyone can figure out by ear the first few measures of "Stars"...that's an amazing progression!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Create your own basslines to the song,that's what I do. My youth pastor let's the whole band write new parts to the song as long as it fits and does not put any attraction on yourself but on God. (NO SOLOS)I like it!!!

"All things are possible through Christ." (Matt 19:26)

My band: http://www.purevolume.com/fadingsilence

Originally posted by DWBass:

There a distinct difference in 'Worship/Praise' music and 'Urban Gospel' music. If you are looking for 'funk' in your basslines, look into the 'Urban Gospel' side of things.

ditto.

In all of the contemporary worship songs that i've played...nothing has ever lent itself to a 'funky' bassline...mainly because they are uncharacteristic of the genre.

For gospel recommendations that can easily lead to cd purchases: try your satellite or cable service provider's jukebox stations. I'm sure that all of them have a gospel station..and they list the artist, album and label when the song is playing.

Follow up on that Gouche stuff that i posted earlier. Especially the reuben studdard stuff...i'm pretty sure that gouche produced that stuff himself.

jason "gospel7theZealot" atkins

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

There is this cvhurch Oasis somewhere in Cali where the band just funks up the service. Oasis Praise Band - Ill do some research and see if I could get back to with any more info. Also, Israel Houton (i spelled that wrong), but that band has some funky stuff -Trading My Sorrows

israel houghton (and new breed):

real

new season

live from another level

live from south africa

terrence palmer (israel's bassist) is a beast. Or to better suit this thread..he is a funky beast with truckloads of tone.

My current bass instructor is actually on tour with israel right now (and he's younger than me!!). His name is Justin Raines (berklee '06). Justin is INSANE as well.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

• 2 weeks later...
I just saw the band: The Katinas: and the bass player (James) was amazing. I met him and the rest of the band and they are great guys who really have a heart for God. Anyway the bass was amazing. On the cds he doesn't do a quarter of the stuff he does live so if you want to check them out, they are a great band. I was amazed!!!

"All things are possible through Christ." (Matt 19:26)

My band: http://www.purevolume.com/fadingsilence

Originally posted by Attaboy:

I recommend these favorites:

"Jesus Is A Rock N Roller" from Satan's Christmas Album

"Nearer My God To These (Pam's Song)" Tommy Lee

"Jehovah's Witness Protection Stomp" Madonna - Live at Leeds

"Joseph's Garage" by Billy Graham and the Mothers of Redemption

Ok...I know...I'm going straight to Hell.

;)

man, you just totally lost me- completely uncalled for, i WILL pray for you.

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

did you guys check out the short mp3's on that Gouché article?

my jaw is still on the floor and my skin still hass goosepimples! out of control!

and his tone, is so... MTD!

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Adrian,

It's good to see you up and about, {though noticing some ah, er ; }

On another positive note, it's nice to see bassplayerjoe too, contributing such gems as, "On the cds he doesn't do a quarter of the stuff he does live so if you want to check them out, they are a great band..."

Indeed, it is sweet to see that a lot of bass players and bands step beyond the confines of their recordings for their live work. That's inspiration and food for the soul!

Hey Dave,

Almost any CD by Paul Baloche and band will have at least one or two funky or groovin, as well as pretty worship tunes. His drummer and bass player (Don Harris) lock in as well as anyone I've heard. Paul has written a lot of songs that many other Christian artists have covered, incl. MW Smith.

The CD's:

1.Open The Eyes Of My Heart w/tracks;

I Love To Sing Your Praises

Praise Adoni

Above All

2.Offering Of Worship w/tracks;

Without You

All For You

Offering

I've also heard a solo CD by Bart Millard, singer for Mercy Me. I think it's the only solo he's done. He plays with some studio guys and there are some funky, R&B sounding cuts on it.

Good luck during your interim and I hope you find a new worship leader soon. I know how these things can change the pulse of the church during this time.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Also Chris Tomlin's "Indescribable" is good. And if you can find a copy or a chart for "One Name Under Heaven", this is a good one, too. Our worship team does this and our leader found the chart online. The song is credited to "Anonymous".

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Glad I asked this question here...great suggestions, and I'm following up on them (although somewhat slowly).

We've done that "Everybody Praise The Lord" song before...great tune and cool bassline. I will indeed check out more Lincoln Brewster material...

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• 1 month later...

Hey folks:

Here's a rough mix of my own concept of an arrangement (sans guitar) for "Sing to the King". We've done two other arrangements previously, but I've always felt like there was this monster groove underneath waiting to be unleashed. I've tried to unleash it here...let me know if you think I succeeded! :thu:

Sing to the King - Dave\'s arrangement

L8r,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• 4 weeks later...

To go back a while, check out Ron Kenoly. His bass player is Abe Laboriel. "Mourning into Dancing" is just incredible!

A great newer artist is Jeremy Camp.

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

Great thread. Its cool to see so many bass players interested in leading a church body into a worship experience.

Before I moved, I was in a praise band for my Church's youth group, so we had a lot of freedom musically. A lot of times we would take a songs chord chart, listen to the vocal melody, and make it up from there.

Other than keeping the worship the focus, our playing style was greatly affected by who was singing (we had 3-4 people who would sing for us). Examples being we had one girl who had a soulful, bluesy voice and so her songs were often the ones we were the funkiest on, and when I sang it was more of the upbeat rock that is so dominant in CCM (Chris Tomlin's Indescribable is excellent).

Some of our favorites for her to sing were Those Who Trust by Waterdeep (blues in E with a great turnaround for the bridge) and Salvation by Charlie Hall (we actually used a part of Tom Sawyer by Rush-drummer love-after the bridge to get back to the verse). To be honest, I had not heard either of those songs on the CD until after we had made our own rendition.

• There is a difference between Belief and Truth.
  • Constantly searching for Truth makes your Beliefs seem believable.

Jason if you were responding to what I said, I wasn't totally clear (not a big surprise)

I wouldn't describe the song Indescribable as funky either, as played on the CD. I was trying to say I sound better singing rock/pop songs because my voice isn't the best. My mention of Chris Tomlin was strictly that I like the whole Chris Tomlin cd.

• There is a difference between Belief and Truth.
  • Constantly searching for Truth makes your Beliefs seem believable.

Archived