Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steel Sound Cabinets

getz out

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I thought they were cabs enclosed in steel. :freak:

Still, 50lb for a 2x10. *grunt* (My 4x10 weighs less.)

Oh, somebody should proofread that copy, too. Eesh! Hope that's not indicative of the quality they put into their products. :P

But, for only $180 I can fill out my stereo setup; not bad! :thu:

At that price it's almost worth it to see if Madison has improved its Chinese manufacturing tolerances and gotten some reliability. The tweeter is piezo which usually are not nearly efficient enough to keep up with two moderately efficient tens, and though they don't need a crossover they sure could benefit from it.

I like the tweeter adjustment: just unscrew it if you don't want as much treble. Arf ; }

The cab plywood is 5/8" thick instead of 3/4" but should be sturdy and rigid enough for a 210 as long as its got some bracing. Just a tad small for most 10's Thiele-Small parameters; I wonder if the porting is even close to right... Still, the box itself would be worth it to put some other drivers in later on, add a crossover, etc. Perhaps wouldn't be a bad test bed for a three-way system using a long xmax 10, a coaxial 10, and a compression driver.

Originally posted by getz76:

Originally posted by RicBassGuy:

Still, 50lb for a 2x10. *grunt* (My 4x10 weighs less.)

Umm, you have an anti-gravity 4x10?
All right, I exaggerated. :) My 4x10 is 65lb. Still, seems odd that you're taking out 2 drivers and ~50% of the sides and back ... you'd think you'd wind up at least in the 40-45lb range. Maybe mine is made out of cardboard or something? :eek::D

If I can ever get them on the phone, I'm thinking about ordering a pair of the 16 ohm Madison 10" Warriors for the heck of it and load them into my Carvin 210 box. If I'm successful in getting ahold of a live person there, I'll post my impressions. According to the MSC propaganda, these drivers are very similar in properties to the Eminence B102(?) speakers. I believe that Carvin used the B102's in the Redeye 210 cab. (I'm going to need an 8 ohm 210 cab vs a 4 ohm cab pretty soon.)

Nope, the Carvin 10 has differnt T-S specs. After doing the sims on a bunch of those Eminence tens, I can appreciate the Carvin choices... Seems like Eminence has been able to get better power handling since those were designed, but not many of them sound good for a rich bass tone (or have the xmax for that matter, that should go with the RMS).

davio,

I would not put user reviews in any great light anyway... But don't make the mistake of buying crappy sounding speakers with bad crossovers in a bad box. I wouldn't even use the box itself - that's TOO FLIMSY. If you must allow price to keep you at the low end at least get something like the newer epoxy coat Carvins, which actually rock, or the older ones for that matter.

If you want me to evaluate some other potential choices just start a thread.

Hey GB,

I think that Eminence did supply Carvin with the speakers used by the Redline series. Eminence offers customization to the companies they supply, so what's in my Carvin box may not be an identical speaker to anything Eminence sells 'after market'.

The reason that I thought that the Carvin ten driver might be the Eminence B102 is because they are the same weight and power handling plus I think that Carvin 'cheaps-out' whenever they can. I may have not given Carvin enough credit.

I'm going to try the Madisons anyway b/c 1) They're $15 each. 2) If they don't work well, I need a speaker anyway to load into a cab that will sit at my work/practice station for very low-volume applications.

Anyway to the point of the thread, $90 + shipping is going to be about $120. If you're in a metro area of any size and you don't get in a hurry, you can buy a used 210 cab cheaply. I acquired a Peavey 210 TX for $140. If you prefer the SWR/Eden sound, I've seen these go used for under $200.

Yeah, bspangle, I KNOW Eminence was the maker of the speaker, to Carvin's spec. That's pretty much standard for most cab makers. But it has nothing to do with cheap. At the time that design was introduced it had better power handling than the big name companies even with their inflated specs.

Originally posted by greenboy:

(I'm going to need an 8 ohm 210 cab vs a 4 ohm cab pretty soon.)
Pssst. Hey - mister! I can sell you the plans for a switch that will do this.
ROTFLMAO! Watch out now...I'll bet there's a patent applied for on that switch... :P

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

You all will have to compete with my new InAccuSwitch.

I have designed a proprietary circuit which I call a "preamp" and installed it in a box to go between your bass and your amp. There is a switch on the box that activates this device.

The switch changes the tone of your cabinet without the hassle of changing your amp settings or technique!

I have also designed a switch, which I will call the MaurySwitch, that can turn any two-driver cabinet that has two 8-ohm drivers from either a 4-ohm cabinet to a 16-ohm cabinet or vice-versa.

Any questions relating to these switches should be directed to my lawyers.

1) Switching a 2-driver cab from 4 ohm to 16 ohms ain't rocket science (parallel to series)

2) Switching a 2- driver cab from 4 ohms to 8 ain't rocket science either if your willing to disengage a speaker.

3) I'm going to be getting an amp whose minimum loading is 4 ohms, so I'd like to have a pair of cabs which are 8 ohms each. (My Acoustic Image head has a minimim loading of 2 ohms, so using a pair of 4 ohm cabs isn't a problem.)

3) Years ago, someone made a device called a 'Power Soak' (I think) that guitarists used between their Marshall heads and their speaker cabinets. It had a rotary switch so that one could chose among various loads. I never took one apart so I do not know whether this device used purely resistance loads or whether there was more to it than that.

Originally posted by bspangle@yahoo.com:

3) Years ago, someone made a device called a 'Power Soak' (I think) that guitarists used between their Marshall heads and their speaker cabinets. It had a rotary switch so that one could chose among various loads. I never took one apart so I do not know whether this device used purely resistance loads or whether there was more to it than that.

Just resistive I believe.

I like your counting - who needs 4 anyway?

Alex

Archived