Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

EBay Bass

Attaboy

New guy to this forum, and my search for info on a new bass I won on Ebay led me here.

I wanted to find a decent 5 string bass and after some looking around I thought that the Washburn Taurus T25 certainly LOOKED the part.

The problem was, I could not find any retailer who had one in stock in the Boston area.

I wondered if that was a good thing...one place did say that they can't keep them in stock.

Anyway, it has a neck through, like my old Warwick, I'm sure that the electronics won't match my current Steinberger L2...but it LOOKS really neat!

I have a Washburn KC44V which I always liked, maybe this 5 string would be a good risk to buy sight unseen?

I hope so, 'cuz I just won the auction!

Anyone out there with first hand feedback on this instruument?

Thanks!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the LD!

I fiddled with one at a local dealer once, definitely was a nice bass... I think you found a keeper if it lives up to my memories.

Meanwhile, see about resizing that image you're using for an avatar... it's nearly life size.

- Matt W.

Ok...hopefully I can get beyond the "Fix yer avatar" posters, and get some actual feedback.

I received the Washburn T25 Taurus 5 string I won on Ebay. I must say that it is a very nice looking instrument, and better than I thought it would feel.

It's clearly not going to replace my main bass (1984 Steinberger L2)but possibly with a few upgrades, it would be more fun to play.

I am thinking about adding new pickups and a far better bridge, which I think is the weakest component on the bass.

The Steinberger has EMGs, and I am leaning towards Bartolinis for the Washburn.

Anyone who has input (besides comments regarding my avatar)regarding which pickups/bridge to recommend would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome to the Lowdown!

I'm not sure why you are asking all the questions about the bass AFTER you bought it instead of before.

I don't know what you paid but it sounds like you probably got a pretty good deal.

Something else I don't understand is why someone buys a bass and then immediately starts changing parts on it. What would a new bridge do?

People told me for many years that the bridge on my '71 Jazz was a piece of junk. I never replaced it and now people are excited to see "an all original vintage instrument".

In some ways the bridge is a piece of junk....I have glued in the adjustment screws because they kept moving while I was playing. But if I changed the bridge the sound of the bass would change.

And how would it change? Who knows? Everyone always says a new bridge will give more punch and sustain. But I don't need more punch and sustain.

Anyway to not answer your question, I have very little experience with Washburn basses so I can't help you there.

I had no opportunity to play the bass. I tried to find one locally without any luck. The auction was about to end, I had to make a decision.

It was VERY cheap, and seemed like even if I didn't like it, I could easliy get back the investment.

I think I want to change the components because they are very much entry level quality, and there are many more better options available. I have the benefit of not bastardizing a vintage instrument. (I had a 69 Jazz myself for a while)

This guitar is a blank slate...a project, so to speak. Replacing the bridge, and/or the pickups will certainly improve it's sound. Something preamped, pickups that will remain quiet and not hum so badly when/if I turn down the treble pickup, would be a good start!

I don't expect anyone to ask why I would change the sound of this fine Vietnamese guitar!

Thanks for your note.

That's it J!

A science project.

Possibly weird science to be sure!

But seriously, I read my post again, and it made it seem like the washburn must be a piece of crap...when it's not really quite so needy.

It is a brand new, neck through, 5 string...and I paid more for 2 or 3 tankfuls of gasoline last month!

• 2 weeks later...
Can you place a link to the Bass you won from Ebay? I, like many of us, enjoy looking over our fellow Lowdowner's equipment.

"Some people are like "slinkies". They're not really good for anything;

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a

flight of stairs."

I like to see others equipment as well.

This is, as I had already posted here, a bass which I wanted to have so that I can familiarize myself with a 5 string, and also wanted to have a project bass to Frankenstein.

Not much I can do to my Steinberger!

Anyway, here is the link to the Washburn T25 Taurus:

http://www.washburn.com/products/basses/t24t25.aspx

Thanks to all for the responses.

PS- Damn...I didn't even notice previously that it has a Bass Player magazine Editors Award for Outstanding Construction...so I got THAT going fer me!

:)

From the link it doesn't look so bad. I still have an old Washburn XB600 that I decided not to part with after replacing the pickups and preamp with Carvins and the bridge with a Kahler. My advice is to sell the stock parts unless you're planning on selling it down the road. The high-end Washburns use Bartolinis if I'm not mistaken, so there's another road to traverse. The stock electronics are pathetic (IMHO) and the bridge will metal-flake on you in a few years, unless they addressed these issues recently.

My complaint was the Washburn nut was too narrow to feel comfortable with (I do have big fingers... ) but then hit upon an inspiration one day and changed the nut for an Ibanez pre-grooved one. Worked for me. Carvin's nuts are easily available and may do the trick for you as well, but you may find the stock nut OK.

Originally posted by Fred the bass player:

From the link it doesn't look so bad. I still have an old Washburn XB600 that I decided not to part with after replacing the pickups and preamp with Carvins and the bridge with a Kahler. My advice is to sell the stock parts unless you're planning on selling it down the road. The high-end Washburns use Bartolinis if I'm not mistaken, so there's another road to traverse. The stock electronics are pathetic (IMHO) and the bridge will metal-flake on you in a few years, unless they addressed these issues recently.

My complaint was the Washburn nut was too narrow to feel comfortable with (I do have big fingers... ) but then hit upon an inspiration one day and changed the nut for an Ibanez pre-grooved one. Worked for me. Carvin's nuts are easily available and may do the trick for you as well, but you may find the stock nut OK.

Hey Fred...you're right. Actually the bass looks even better in person. It reminds me of my Warwick Streamer...if you forgive a lot...a real lot!

But it has potential I think.

It plays really well. The neck is suited to my hands, and I agree that the bridge will probably go south eventually.

I did plan on Bartolinis for this...even before it arrived.

I doubt anyone would want to buy the original pickups and electronics...maybe I'll build them into an old washtub and take it on the road!

Archived