Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hand length

ArwinH

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I meant tha since I started playing My left hand has grown from playing and being forced to stretch to hit certain notes in my formative years ( which consequently were also the years of my early growth spurts), and I was interested in finding out if anyone had a similar experience.

I'm also interested because I am now learning how to play URB, and in dealing with the longer scale length I was interested in whether or not my hand would "stretch out" even more.

I know. I was just joking about what ahm, er, "athletic" endeavors will do for someone who is focusing more on one side of the body than the other. Being right-handed alone usually means more musculature and extension on that side than the other.

Really, I don't know that my hand size has changed at all since taking up the bass, and I pivot more than stretch with my fretting/stopping

hand so...

OK, I think I got it now.

Well, I'm pretty sure that my bass playing has given me that "musculature and extension", as I am right handed. I think this probably because I did stretch my left hand very much as a youngster when my bass was my height. It makes me wonder what will happen with the urb, since, depsite shifting and pivoting, I do feel as if I have to conciouslt stretch.

As to that first comment, I made the discovery about my hands when hanging out with three girls, and one made a comment about the ...um... possibilities available with the hand length.

Talk about your all time most awkward moments. Luckily, a student (we were at school) had literally just been pulled into a cop car for excessive violence) and that awkwardness faded away.

My left(fretting)hand is about a 1/4 of an inch longer than my right. I'm not sure if this is because I took up electric bass in 7th grade, or because I'm cock-eyed.

What does it matter? My fretting hand could be half as big, IMHO, it's not what you CAN play, but what you DON'T play.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Originally posted by greenboy:

Years of nose picking and flicking have made my right fingers slightly longer and thicker than those on the left. Matches my right arm, which is a longer - from bowling in my formative years.

Yeah...bowling...that's what made your right arm thick and strong while your left arm is skinny and thin. Bowling indeed. ;):P

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived