Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

G& L-2500: a few questions

Gruuve

Hey folks:

I played a few basses in stores today. Found that I really like the G&L L-2000...unfortunately they didn't have a 5-string, but I'd assume the 4 and 5 sound and play very similar. There's a lot of flexibility built into those guys. A pretty convincing P-bass tone came from the preamp off, both pickups selected and in parallel, and the highs rolled off, plus the myriads of other tones this guy is capable of (considerably more versatile than my Stingray5, although I still love the 'ray).

Here's a few questions for any of you who might own one:

1) I noticed that the bass and treble tone controls work even if the active onboard preamp is switched off. How did they do THAT??? Treble I can understand, but I didn't think there was any such thing as a passive bass control???

2) I had to use a really light touch on the E-string on this L-2000...any aggressive picking or slapping and it really made the rig I was playing through crackle, even with the bass head's preamp turned way down. So, it seemed like this distortion was actually coming out of the bass itself. I assume the output from these pickups must be really hot. I didn't think to try it through a different amp at the time...I'd assume lowering the pickups a little would lower their sensitivity and output, and remove the crackle?

3) I don't see the specs for this on G&L's site, but this bass didn't seem incredibly heavy...I'm guessing maybe 9 lbs? Anyone know for sure?

4) I mentioned that they didn't have a 5-string. If I'm not mistaken, I think I've seen mentioned that the G&L L-2500's (both American and Tribute) have a wide string spacing at the last fret. Is it 2 7/8" or so?

EDIT/UPDATE: I finally got someone to actually measure one, and it's 2-3/4" at the last fret. Exactly the same measurement as a Stingray5, for future reference.

5) From what I understand there is very little difference in sound and playability between the American-made and Korean-made Tribute line. (The guitarist in my worship band has both models of the strat-style guitar, and the only difference I can see is that the finish on the Tribute is not as extravagant). Has anyone tried both the American and the Tribute models? Notice any big differences?

I'm thinking an L-2500 Tribute or a used American model may be in my near future, especially given that they are quite economical for what you get. I really liked all the versatility...would be a really good fit for the wide variety of songs that I do in the worship band.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A local store has a few tributes, I'm rehearsing a block away either soon, I can let you know abou five strings.

BobG has had a few GL's, maybe he'll chime in. You can also get the bass semihollow to reduce weight, I think without or without f hole too.

I think that the crackle could be from the strings hitting the pickup poles, my yamaha had a similar problem until I gave it a good setup.

DO IT! DO IT NOW! pay full retail price and get one, they are SO worth it. just as well made and playable with high quality electronics as high $$$ fender-style boutique instruments ala lakland. and as for tone you can get just about any tone except for the stingray tone, but yu can still get close enough. really seriously tonally versitile instrument.

string spacing? the 2500 does have wide string spacing. obviously not as wide as the 4 string 2000, but wide for a 5. not for everyone, but i liked it.

passive bass and treble controls are entirely possible. the difference is that instead of a boost/cut from an active circuit, you get a cut from a capacitor.

distortion from the bass? i'm sure it's possible that the floor model had a weak battery. that could cause some overdrive.

yes, it's a heavy bass, but the balance and playability more than makes up for it.

l-2500 vs. tribute? couldn't say. you'll have to try them out and let us know.

overall, the only bass i've played that i've liked more was a sadowski. this includes the stingray, the fenders, boutique instruments, etc. this instrument is the onions.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Actually for a passive bass cut a COIL is used. As found on variations of the [in]famous Gibson Varitone with several caps and coils combining on a rotary switch you can even get a resonant passive midrange that drives a distorted rig nigh toward heaven.

Fortsooth!

Er, hahahahahaha. hahaha

ô¿~

ô¿~

Thanks for the quick answers guys! Funny you mention the Laklands...I played a Lakland Skyline 55-02 (?) today as well...it was certainly nice, but I wasn't nearly as impressed with it as I was with the G&L. Putting the Lakland in passive mode knocks the output way down...sure seems like that takes a knotch out of the useability in practice.

GB, yeah I've heard that a 5-string Sterling is on the way, but I'm not sure that gets me the versatility that I'd really like...the current Stingray5 is most like a 4-string Sterling already.

Ah...so I figured the two tone controls must be both cut rather than boost. It's best modern tone IMHO was with both full on. Thanks for the info on how bass control is actually built.

I think I can safely say that the only bass I've played in quite a while that I liked as much (hmmm...maybe better?) was a Pedulla 5-string Thunderbass (but then it's about $2200 street price vs. $600 for a L-2500 Tribute). That Pedulla (and presumably the Thunderbolt as well) had this nice, round, fat tone that was both mellow and growley at the same time, but was still very articulate without having any fret noise (of course, the action on it was quite high). Must be something to their claims about the advanced circuitry in the preamp. It had a tone just made me feel all warm inside...but then it didn't come across as having as much versatility as the G&L.

Anyway, I think I'll check into some firm pricing on a L-2500 Tribute (and set up some Ebay searches for used ones too!). I've been keeping my eyes open for a used Pedulla Thunderbolt, but I might change my mind, especially given the price difference between the two.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Ah, no - just a second pickup alone would be a step up in versatility for a Stingray. Even without anything else, that gives you useful blends and soloed neck.

The main problem with passive bass control is that it cuts your level considerably (as do coil tapping and switching from series to parallel).

In a similar vein, I hear ya on the difference on preamped level versus passive/bypass on some onboards. I like the Carvin setup where you have a trimpot inside that you can decide if you want [roughly] unity between the two, or to have the active signal boosted (or cut) for some specialty use (like overdriving a tube front end etc).

Dave,

I've played a few G&L 2500s in shops. Only one spoke to me, and I posted about it here. That model from G&L is just not the right bass for me. :(

I have also played a couple of 4-string Tributes. I thought they were well made. I feel like BP did a review of a Tribute bass a while ago.

For the record, I do think that the G&L JB-2 is a very tasty J bass. :thu:

Peace.

--s-uu

PS: 5-string Sterling?! WTF?! Isn't that just the 'Ray5?! ;)

PPS: My 'Ray5 is just super dandy w/ the one humbucker. However, I'll be interested to try 'Rays and Sterlings w/ a neck pickup.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Dave,

My most recently acquired bass is a G&L L2000 (American). I primarily use it for the church worship team, like yourself, and its versatility is great in that setting. Actually, who am I kidding? That bass is amazing for anything. I highly recommend them, and I'm sure the 5-string is just as great.

The pickups are very hot, and I know of many G&L owners who just roll back the master volume a bit to keep things from clipping. I found that once I had adjusted the action to my liking it was easy to adjust the pickups to an even volume across the strings and low enough that I could dig in without clipping.

The Tribute models I tried were just as good as my American model, but I was able to get the American one for a great price (used). It came to a little less than a new Tribute model, and I fell in love with this particular bass anyways so I wasn't gonna talk myself out of it. In all honesty though I think the Tribute models are just as good, it becomes a comparison of personal preferences between individual basses.

God bless,

Dave N.

Archived