Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Where can you get your music on the air?

ATM

Let's face it, there's nothing like having your music being broadcast. Of course, I have no experience with this, but being a former DJ, I do know what it's like to hear yourself on the radio. Just found this article, and it seems that you guys in the Seattle area have been keeping KEXP to yourself. Shame.

I have read about The Current, but haven't yet had a chance to check it out. I'll have to tune in when I get back to Minnesota.

Anyway, if you're wondering what I'm talking about, here\'s the link.

Here's to hearing more of us on the radio! :thu:

ATM

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here in St Louis we have KDHX. It is an INCREDIBLE station. All volunteer staff. No "commercial" commercials. They get $2,000/yr in the form of a government grant and the rest of the budget comes from donations from listeners and local businesses. That $2,000 just covers the cost of their streaming audio. But the station sounds great!! They run 24/7 and their programming is simply incredible! I have been turned on to sooooo much good music because of this station. They have around 75 different shows with only 2 of them being purchased (talk shows) from other sources. The other 70+ are done in-studio. The station has a library, but often the DJ's bring in their own stuff. My band has gotten played on there numerous times and they DEFINITELY support local music. The entire staff is made up of music fans.

The variety is huge! Take a listen!! KDHX community radio

Originally posted by getz76:

How about a little Pirate Radio? Seton Hall runs a legendary NY/NJ radio broadcast that has catered to mostly hardcore/metal, but it is true independent college radio. WSOU, 89.5 FM.

http://wsou.shu.edu/

:cool: word. Since the other "rock" stations have all sold out to the almighty conglomerates, SOU's probably the last authentic rock station in the area, IMHO.

Next to that is Dover NJ's WDHA-FM, 105.5 FM, (click HERE) which isn't bad (although some of their sponsorships qualify for "conglomerate" status, and I can live without the "Deadhead Hour" :D ) and they have times where they play local original talent. What I'm trying to say is that they don't S*@$ as bad but they're no SOU either.

Originally posted by nosamiam:

Here in St Louis we have KDHX. It is an INCREDIBLE station. All volunteer staff. No "commercial" commercials. They get $2,000/yr in the form of a government grant and the rest of the budget comes from donations from listeners and local businesses. That $2,000 just covers the cost of their streaming audio. But the station sounds great!! They run 24/7 and their programming is simply incredible! I have been turned on to sooooo much good music because of this station. They have around 75 different shows with only 2 of them being purchased (talk shows) from other sources. The other 70+ are done in-studio. The station has a library, but often the DJ's bring in their own stuff. My band has gotten played on there numerous times and they DEFINITELY support local music. The entire staff is made up of music fans.

The variety is huge! Take a listen!! KDHX community radio

:thu: They played us!!

Community radio stations are awesome!!

Here in College Station (widely regarded as a cultural wasteland, though not that bad if you compare the town to rural Texas) we have KEOS, a volunteer driven public station like you might find in a lot of places. Bands I'm in can often find a show that we fit the format of and arrange for an in-studio performance and interview on the night before a gig or in the afternoon before a gig and promote ourselves.

This is an excellent opportunity to be heard by a pretty big audience plus, we use the captive engineer and his nice mics to get clean recordings of our new originals.

The connections made at the radio staion help out a great deal as well. The station puts on benefit concerts 3 times a year and one of my groups almost always gets invited to play. The station promotes the shows for a couple of weeks before they happen and drop the band names constantly.

Furthermore, I try to line up in-studio shows in towns that we are visiting, all of the other benefits still apply in the next town. Leave some CDs in the library of the station and send the DJs home with some.

Just some of my experiences.

Never follow children, animals or Hare Krishnas!!

Archived