Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Schecter Stiletto Elite 5

Ajax

Anybody own one of these? I like what I see in the online catalogs, but before I waste gas driving to the Big City to lay hands on one, I'd like to ask some questions-

1) I currently play a Fender P/J 4 with DiMarzio passive pickups. I run it thru a Genz-Benz ML200-115T with an SWR 2x10 ext cab. I play with a pick. Will the Schecter give me the same punch and high-end clarity that I get from my P/J pu's?

2) What is the neck width at the nut? I'm used to J necks, and don't want one that's exzcessvely 'fat'. Fender's 5-strings run about 1.875" at the nut.

3) If you own one, what's your opinion of the quality of the instrument?

Thanks folks, I appreciate it!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Stiletto Deluxe 5, which I guess is the lower-end model. I love my bass, it gets great low end and pretty good clarity on the high-end.

It is a 35 scale though, so that may present a problem. As far as picks go, I don't know, because I have never played with one. I can imagine it will sound great though, considering the Elite has EMGs.

I would definitely reccomend this bass to you, judging from my experience on it's lesser counterpart.

Here's my Diamond Elite 5 (my first 5-string and I still have it, tho' it rarely gets played):

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TADVAjQWKjjOU14d1ogreLQNaAofIbnlVTVlF1GCMvEy4fdj82m84CybEq7idTKBeUU4b0fJ9Nl*plVHgl5hsrMWmdlvZVE9npoQDptA6qDWMfU0cUVI8g/AAAA0031.JPG

and another/better pic, unfortunately with a balding/slightly overweight gnome holding it:

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TACRAjoW8jjOU14d1ogreIcs7qbVfMPuXVsrRtKqZQwuPUuLi7!zg69qMowRi542PNNPEigm*fxpQQAaBJYX0dq16A28kaA5CfT4YhArOX4YZOE8Xyix4A/AAAA0015.JPG

Width at the nut is 1.875", maybe 1.850" (1/16 under 1 5/8). It's a tad heavy, but not unreasonable, unless you are old like me.

My main beef was that the early units used a saddle design that allowed the the bridge saddles to bottom out before the saddle screws were backed out - Newer models (post 2002) may have addressed that issue.

Bottom Line: If you liked your action set very low, you were SOL. Wasn't much of an issue for me as I prefer a medium-low setup, but it was borderline. The EMGs sounded very good for a rock-type sound, especially with round wound strings. Lots of room for tone shaping.

After owning a few other 5s, I've settled on a Lakland Skyline JoeOsborne 5 with Lindy Fralin p'ups. Nothing really wrong with the Schecter, a fine first foray into the world of 5-stringers...it just wasn't what I wanted in the long term.

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

I had one, and it was alright, but not really my cup of tea. I did have the same bridge screw problem, which was fixed at the factory by Schecter before I bought the bass by grinding one of the bass saddles.

Still, my son loves it and plays it all the time. I am just used to the old Warwick, and so the thing didn't have the punchiest voice to me.

The bass does NOT have active pickups, but does have a tiny active circuit. It is very quiet, and has a fairly wide range of tones.

I didn't like the 2 volume knob layout...to turn down, you have to adjust 2 knob. I prefer a single volume with a panning pickup knob.

I will say I was generally very impressed by the fit and finish, and the price. I would say it would be worth the drive to check it out.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Originally posted by Dave Brown:

I had one, and it was alright, but not really my cup of tea. I did have the same bridge screw problem, which was fixed at the factory by Schecter before I bought the bass by grinding one of the bass saddles.

______

I will say I was generally very impressed by the fit and finish, and the price. I would say it would be worth the drive to check it out.

This was my exact experience with mine.

"For instance" is not proof.

Archived