Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

strings for my fretless Ampeg AUB1

J.J. Blair

I need to change the strings on this Ampeg, because they are damaged, but I can't figure out what they are. They are very much like acoutic bass strings, with that lack of decay. They seem to be like what Rotosound 88s soundlike, from the sound clip that Rotosound has, but I'm afraid to spend all that dough on the wrong strings. These are heavy, flatwound, extra long scale with a green silk end and totally dead sounding. They have a steel core, with bronze thread wound over that, with a steel thread wound over that, and finally with a flat steel wound over that. Does that sound familiar to anybody?
Friends don't let friends act like rockstars.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have an AUB-1? That is so cool!

I bow to you.

I assume you know every song ever recorded by The Band.

This Web Page will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about your bass.

If you click the link for Technical Info, eventually you will find this

LaBella flatwounds became the most popular strings on Ampegs.
That doesn't answer the question of what kind of strings you have on your bass, but it should help.

I have LaBella flatwounds on a P-bass specifically to get the early 60's sound.

Happy thumping!

Yeah, I know that page. Which reminds me: it's actually an AMUB-1. Oops!

I actually have a pile of ridiculously sick basses, and I'm not even a bass player! It's for the various bass players that I record, because I usually hate the sound of their basses. LOL.

Oh, you have to be a reader of EQ to get the joke. I'm making fun of a cover with Jack Joseph Puig on it. However, it looks more like the Yngwie Guitar Player cover, don't it? Or do you mean 'how?' Maybe I'm able to change the stuff because I'm a mod? I dunno. Can't you change yours in your profile?

Davio, BTW, I always say that being in a band is like being in a bad marraiage. Too funny.

J.J., I think that it is a privelidge reserved for mods because my profile simply states "Gold Member" without giving any option for change. But wait...that gives me an idea. Wait for it, wait for it...there. Much better.

BTW, I have to give credit for the quote in my sig to our very own ClarkW although it's been added to my own bag of tricks.

Archived