Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Trouble

lukebass

here's my problem:

I just bought a nice ZON. I plugged it into my amp and when my treble was high my amp would start making this clicking noise. Basically you hear a click,click and it gets faster and faster and then it slows down, speeds up again etc.

when I turn the treble down the problem seems to stop..I bought a new battery, it seemed to help, but by the end of the jam I heard little bit of the click again...anybody know what the problem is??

thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by lukebass:

here's my problem:

I just bought a nice ZON. I plugged it into my amp and when my treble was high my amp would start making this clicking noise. Basically you hear a click,click and it gets faster and faster and then it slows down, speeds up again etc.

when I turn the treble down the problem seems to stop..I bought a new battery, it seemed to help, but by the end of the jam I heard little bit of the click again...anybody know what the problem is??

thanks!

Welcome to the forum, lukebass! :wave:

Here's some SWAGs:

-do you have a cellphone near your rig? (they transmit every few minutes)

-is the battery loose in the compartment? (one of my basses has a "flip-top" removable compartment and the contacts don't always line up so I get clicks and pops just touching the compartment.

-cable crink? sometimes they don't make a noise until you touch the right spot

-is your bass picking up local radio signals (kHz-mHz range)? Happens to all of us now and then, but it makes me wonder whether cellphone or microwave oven signals (gHz range) get picked up as well.

Just getting those out of the way first. Hope to see you around here mo' often!

:wave:

Hey Fred!

Thanks so much for the quick reply....you know it maybe the cell phone!! I was had a cell phone strapped to me the whole time...normally I don't. When I got home I didn't have it near and it stopped....if that's common that could very well be the problem...I'm hoping!

Thanks again

You might want to try shielding it some more. I always had my cellphone in my pocket when I played my Zon and I never had that problem. But, I'm thinking that's more because I have Sprint PCS and they don't have to send out signals every 3 minutes as digital phones do. They work much like pagers in that the signal is sent from all the towers and then, once the tower finds the phone, only 1 tower is used. Whereas analog and digital phones send out a signal to the tower every 3 minutes and basically say "hey,I'm over here now." You will find that Sprint phones have a longer battery life than other companys' phones for this very reason.

I know way too much about cell phones.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Archived